Anyone ever get a traffic ticket from a Red Light Camera in Georgia?

It's from the City of Morrow and it accuses me of going through a red light on 3/21.  If I knew that I did it, then I would pay the ticket.  But I know I didn't run a red light.  The ticket said that it is a CIVIL violation, not criminal.  No points will be deducted from my license and it will not be reported to my insurance company. And if I don't pay, then they will turn it over to a collection agency.

The whole thing sounds unconstitutional to me.  I have no intention of paying the ticket since all they can do is turn me over to a collection agency.  I have caller ID, so good luck to the collection agency.  I won't fall for their extortion trick.

lax32 (4/5/2008)
Did they send you any pictures of it?

Yep.  They sent me a nice close up of my plate, and a photo of my car turning left.  But the photo of my car turning does not include a photo of the red light.  How can they accuse me of turning left on a red light when the red light is not included in the photo?

young mr. grace (4/5/2008)
It's from the City of Morrow and it accuses me of going through a red light on 3/21.  If I knew that I did it, then I would pay the ticket.  But I know I didn't run a red light.  The ticket said that it is a CIVIL violation, not criminal.  No points will be deducted from my license and it will not be reported to my insurance company. And if I don't pay, then they will turn it over to a collection agency.

The whole thing sounds unconstitutional to me.  I have no intention of paying the ticket since all they can do is turn me over to a collection agency.  I have caller ID, so good luck to the collection agency.  I won't fall for their extortion trick.

I think all traffic citations are a legalized extortion racket. But that's just me.signs146.gif

My friends got couple of them. Only thing i read somewhere about it is that they cant make you pay if there is no sign that says there is a camera on the street light. If they turn you to collection agency...isnt that gonna jack up your credit history.

They had a problem with this out in Glendale, Arizona. The county got greedy with it, and gave out nearly 10,000 tickets in one month. One was an 80 year old lady that was accused of running a toll booth, but the picture was of a man in his 30s in a different color vehicle. She still had to go to court and pay $1000 to clear her name. That is disgusting.

Of course they just don't do fines with it there either, they will send you the ticket in days and put a warrant out for your arrest if you don't reply within a certain time period.

The "Morrow" of this story is when the light has been yellow for awhile it's probably gonna turn red shortly thereafter so don't be like everybody else on the road and try to jump it cause you're probably gonna get a ticket in the mail if you do.

birdfann (4/6/2008)
The "Morrow" of this story is when the light has been yellow for awhile it's probably gonna turn red shortly thereafter so don't be like everybody else on the road and try to jump it cause you're probably gonna get a ticket in the mail if you do.

True. To many drivers think that a yellow light means speed up.

young mr. grace (4/5/2008)

I took them to court and WON!

city of Atlanta shows you 2 photos- one with your car behind the stopbar with a red light, and one with your car past the stopbar in the intersection with the light red. that's at least a little more fair, and they won't ticket you if you were already out in the intersection when it turned red (like a late left turn or something).

if they don't have a picture of your car and the red light in the same frame, i'd fight it. all depends if you think it's worth your time.