Johnny Depp to play Edgar Allen Poe?

Headshot

For years now Johnny Depp has been the one name that everyone has thought of when discussing a movie about poet Edgar Allen Poe.

Depp has read and according to those close to him, "fallen in love with" an early script for Quote the Raven, a biopic that focuses on the life, dementia, and death of the world's most famous poet. Viggo Mortensen and Ryan Gosling are also being considered for the role.

Scott24Falcs (4/5/2008)
Forget the Raven, how about doing The Cask of Amontillado. I always enjoyed that better than any other Poe work.

I totally agree. But the movie is not going to be about the poem The Raven, it's going to be about the life of Edgar Allen Poe. I assume the writer chose Quote the Raven as the title since it's one of his most famous poems, much like Walk the Line was chosen for the movie about Johnny Cash's life.

But like I said I'm with you, my two favorite Poe works are The Cask of Amontillado and The Pit and the Pendulum.

Headshot (4/6/2008)
Dem Birds Can Fly (4/6/2008)
This is new information? I could have sworn this has been talked about over the last year or so.

Probably should go back and read the first sentence.

You said "Thought of", doesn't mean official or that he himself was considering it. Maybe you should read what you've written as well. I was saying that I was under the impression that it was something he was heavily considering, and I heard this a year (or longer) ago.

Guest Gritz
backnblack (4/6/2008)
He would be pretty good as Poe it would seem. Wasn't Poe from Boston? Red Sox fan?
I could easily be wrong but I seem to recall that Poe was more of a Baltimore-area guy.....

Okay, looked him up. We're both right bnb...born in Boston, lived in Richmond, VA, New York, lived in and died in Baltimore.....

Maybe that's why they're the Baltimore Ravens?

gritblitzer (4/6/2008)
backnblack (4/6/2008)
He would be pretty good as Poe it would seem. Wasn't Poe from Boston? Red Sox fan?
I could easily be wrong but I seem to recall that Poe was more of a Baltimore-area guy.....

Okay, looked him up. We're both right bnb...born in Boston, lived in Richmond, VA, New York, lived in and died in Baltimore.....

Maybe that's why they're the Baltimore Ravens?

Yeah, the Baltimore Ravens were named after EAP.