Mock Draft v.6

I m going to try to make a mock draft once a week until the draft comes around. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Trade

Even though I m not a huge fan of putting trades into my mock drafts (after all, they re too hard to predict). However, I m fairly certain that this trade can go down. I have a trade that involves the New York Jets and the Atlanta Falcons. The New York Jets trade away their second round pick (36th) overall and swap first round picks with the Falcons. The Jets are getting a better deal here, but we all know how hard it can be to trade out of the third overall selection. With this trade, we now have four second round picks& that s just madness if you ask me. With four second round picks we have the opportunity to fix many of our holes.

2008 NFL Draft:

Rd.1.pck.1- the Miami Dolphins select: Chris Long, DE, VirginiaTech

Rd.1.pck.2- the St.louis Rams select: Jake Long, OT, Michigan

Rd.1.pck.3- via Atlanta Falcons the New York Jets select: Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas

Rd.1.pck.4- the Oakland Raiders select: Vernon Ghloston, DE, Ohio State

Rd.1.pck.5- the Kansas City Chiefs select: Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College

Rd.1.pck.6- via New York Jets the Atlanta Falcons select: Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU

Your thinking wow, how did Glenn Dorsey slip past the Raiders at number four? Come on people, its all Davis were talking about. I mean, he took a kicker, yes a kicker, in the first round (17th overall selection) in the 2000 NFL Draft. We make one of the best trades in the draft by trading down, and still securing the player that we wanted at number three, all while getting an extra second round pick. Glenn Dorsey is the most complete DT to come out of college since Warren Sapp, and that s really saying something. Glenn Dorsey had some injury concerns, but he has but them all to rest. With Glenn Dorsey on our line, we would have three first round D-linemen, with two being selected in the top ten. Jamaal Anderson, John Abraham, and now Glenn Dorsey. Dorsey would work wonders for Jamaal Anderson and John Abraham. Jamaal Anderson would get his sacks, no doubt (of course sacks isn t all that makes up a D-linemen). Glenn Dorsey will instantly solidify our defensive front for years to come, and he would be our day one starter. Glenn Dorsey will replace Rod Coleman as our three technique and be something very special. Plus, we save ourselves potentially million of dollars a year by taking him three spots later.

Rd.1.pck.7- the New England Patriots select: Leodis McKelvin, CB, Troy

Rd.1.pck.8- the Baltimore Ravens select: Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB, Tennessee State

Rd.1.pck.9- the Cincinnati Bengals select: Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC

Rd.1.pck.10- the New Orleans Saints select: Keith Rivers, OLB, USC

Rd.1.pck.11-the Buffalo Bills select: Devin Thomas, WR, Michigan State

Rd.1.pck.12-the Denver Broncos select: Ryan Clady, OT, Boise State

Rd.1.pck.13- the Carolina Panthers select: Chris Williams, OT, Vanderbilt

Rd.1.pck.14- the Chicago Bears select: Jeff Otah, OT, Pittsburgh

Rd.1.pck.15- the Detroit Lions select: Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois

Rd.1.pck.16-the Arizona Cardinals select: Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas

Rd.1.pck.17-the Minnesota Vikings select: Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida

Rd.1.pck.18- the Houston Texans select: Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon

Rd.1.pck.19-the Philadelphia Eagles select: Kenny Phillips, FS/CB, Miami

Rd.1.pck.20-the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select: Limas Sweed, WR, Texas

Rd.1.pck.21-the Washington Redskins select: Phillip Merling, DE, Clemson

Rd.1.pck.22-the Dallas Cowboys select: Felix Jones, RB, Arkansas

Rd.1.pck.23-the Pittsburg Steelers select: Brandon Albert, OG/OT

Rd.1.pck.24-the Tennessee Titans select: Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma

Rd.1.pck.25-the Seattle Seahawks select: Dustin Keller, TE, Purdue

Rd.1.pck.26-the Jacksonville Jaguars select: Kentwan Balmer, DT, North Carolina

Rd.1.pck.27-the San Diego Chargers select: Reggie Smith, CB/S, Oklahoma

Rd.1.pck.28-the Dallas Cowboys select: Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida

Rd.1.pck.29-the San Francisco 49ers select: DeSean Jackson, WR, Cal

Rd.1.pck.30-the Green Bay Packers select: Brandon Flowers, CB, VirginiaTech

Rd.1.pck.(31)-forfited

Rd.1.pck.31-the New York Giants select: Justin King, CB, Penn State

The rest of the Falcons selections:

Rd.2.pck.34-via Oakland Raiders the Atlanta Falcons select: Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville.

Surprisingly enough, Brian Brohm falls into our laps with the 34th overall selection in the draft. Brohm surely deservers to be a first round pick, but he somehow slips like Brady Quinn did. I would be simply ecstatic if Brian Brohm was available with the 34th pick the in NFL Draft. Obviously one of our biggest concerns heading into the draft was QB, and now we have that hole fixed for years to come. Brian Brohm is a very good decision maker, has good arm strength (not great) and above average accuracy. He also showed that he is a bit mobile (4.61 40 yard dash). Brian Brohm and Joe Flacco are really the only two QBs that I m sold on right now. Brian Brohm would sit down for a year and learn under Chris Redman s wings and blossom next season. Brian Brohm has the foundations of a great supporting cast, and a rising WR core. We may need to give Brohm so more weapons, but I think that Brohm will turn out to be the best QB in this years draft class. Heres our QB of the future as well as our new Franchise QB, and not to mention Face of the Franchise. Brohms going to put lots of butts on seats.

Rd.2.pck.36-via New York Jets the Atlanta Falcons select: Sam Baker, OT, USC

We have our QB situation fixed, but another HUGE whole that we still have to fix is the LT spot. I ve heard that Renardo Foster was a good LT for us until he was injured, but I think we still need to address the LT spot. Foster could eventually take over as the starting RT or possibly even RG in the years to come, but I don t think that LT is the spot for him. As for Sam Baker, he would instantly solidify our LT position for years to come. While he isn t a mauler of a LT like Jake Long is, Sam Baker is still a very good pass protector. Sam Baker is a great technician LT, and that said he is one of, if not the, best pure LTs available in this years draft. Brian Brohm, or Chris Redman for that matter, wouldn t have to worry about their back side with Baker in the lineup. I m really liking the idea of having Justin Blalock, Sam Baker, and Ben Hartstock managing the left side of the field. It doesn t matter that Sam Baker isn t a great run blocking OT, with Blalock and Ben Hartstock managing that left side, things are going to be all right. After drafting Sam Baker, our needs on the offensive line are now limited to: C, RG, and RT.

Rd.2.pck.37-the Atlanta Falcons select: Dan Connor, ILB, Penn State

Woahhhhhh, how did Dan Conner, the best MLB in this year s draft in my opinion, slip out of the first round? While MLB isn t the biggest hole on our team, Dan Conner is just too much value to pass up at this point (MLB is an issue anyway). There nothing much to say about his play except the fact that he s all of the field, and he s a playmaker that has great instincts. At only 231 pounds, I think that Dan Conner is a bit too small to handle the Middle, so he needs to gain about 10-15 pounds of bulk. With Conner taking over as our MLB of the future, we move Keith Brooking back to his original position, ROLB. Stephen Nicholas may be ready to start, but he gets to learn another year under a TRUE ROLB. With Glenn Dorsey lining up in front of Dan Conner, our run defense should be exceptionally good next year. Dan Conner can play OLB, but I think that he is better suited to play MLB in the NFL. If we can manage to draft Dan Conner with the 37th overall selection, we may have landed one of the biggest steals in the draft. With Dan Conner, Michael Boley, Keith Brooking, and Stephen Nicholas as depth for another year, we have a solid, young, and upcoming Linebacking cores in the NFL.

Rd.2.pck48.-the Atlanta Falcons select: Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona

The guy that we were targeting, OT Gosder Cherilus, was selected before the 47th overall pick. Bummer huh, well at least we still get our hands on Antoine Cason, a player that should have been gone in the first round. If Cason isn t here I could see us taking Chilo Rachal, Patrick Lee, Charles Godfrey, or Tracey Porter. I like Chevis Jackson in the third round too, but I think that Antoine Cason is just too good of a prospect to pass up at this point. Cason could potentially become our day one starter if he can manage to beat out Von Hutchins, Brent Grimes, and David Irons for the starting role in Training Camp. While Cason doesn t have that blazing speed that a lot of Cornerbacks in the league have, Cason can flat out cover. I think he would be a perfect fit in the Cover 2 scheme for this very reason. And Did anyone know that Casons father played for the Falcons from 1984-1987? While Antoine Cason has his negatives, I think we can work on them and become a great NFL Cornerback. With Houston and Cason we have a young and upcoming Cornerback tandem that will one day become great. And don t forget that we have Von Hutchins , Brent Grimes, and David Irons as depth. We re loaded at the CB spot now.

Rd.3.pck.68-the Atlanta Falcons select: Chilo Rachal, OG, USC

Kynan Forney just isn t a good fit for our new offensive scheme, so we need an upgrade. While he may not start from day one,  he could certainly provide good depth in his first year while he learns the game. He s a pretty big kid at 6-5 315 pounds, and I think he still has the frame to add on some 10-15 pounds of additional bulk. I believe that Chilo Rachal can be a starter for us next year, but he needs to work hard during Training Camp.  With the selection of Chilo Rachal we have the making of a young offensive line that will work hard to preotect Chris Redman and Brian Brohm. Rachal is a great run blocker, which in our system is a huge plus, he can use his hands very well, he plays very nasty, much like Brandon Albert. He has great awareness and a large upside. I think that he would be a great, and safe, third round pick.

Rd.3.pck.98-the Atlanta Falcons select: Jordy Nelson, WR, Kansas State

Jordy Nelson is one of my favorite WR prospects in this year s draft. He is pretty big (6-4 217 pounds) and has very good speed for his size. We would now have Roddy White, Laurent Robinson, Jordy Nelson, Michael Jenkins, and Adam Jennings running the show at WR. If you ask me, we would have a great WR core. Jordy Nelson would be the possession receiver that Michael Jenkins never turned out to become. I think that he s a very safe pick, and he could step in as our slot receiver and tear up. In a way, he reminds a lot of Wes Welker (no, not because their both white) but because they just make plays.  Defensive coordinators would have fits trying to game plan against our WR core. Chris Redman, and eventually Brian Brohm, shouldn t have any trouble passing the ball with a receiving core like this.  Last year at Kansas State he recorded 122 receptions (!) for 1606 yards (!!) and 11 TDs (!!!). These stats should say something about his consistency.

Rd.4.pck.103-the Atlanta Falcons select: Mike McGlynn, OT/OG, Pittsburgh

Mike McGlynn is one of my favorite prospects in this year s draft. He s on the most versatile linemen I ve ever seen. Mike McGlynn has the extremely rare ability to play all five, no that s not a typo, offensive line spots. That means he can play LT, LG, C, RG, and RT (!!!!!!!). Oh, and did I mention that he can also play LS (!). I mean, what cant this guy do? He is a very rare talent that is just too good to pass up on at this point. Mike McGlynn could provide excellent depth at all position on our team, and could be our starter at RT. I like the idea of having Renardo Foster, Mike McGlynn, and Tyson Clabo competing for the RT spot. That competition could really up all of their game. If McGlynn doesn t take over as a starter, he can at least provide us with tremendous depth at this point. He is undoubtedly a very special talent that doesn t come along too often. Now our need on the offensive line is limited to C, but we already have Doug Datish, Todd McClure, and Alex Stepanovich competing for the starting Center spot. This year s training camp is going to be very interesting.

Rd.5.pck.138-the Atlanta Falcons select: Frank Okam, DT, Texas

I know that he showed up at 347 pounds during the combine, but since then he s lost nearly 20 pounds. This shows that Frank Okam is wants to play football. He may be lazy, but loosing 20 pounds surely has to be a plus. Frank Okam is a huge body that can stuff the run very well. He has outstanding size and great frame. He is very powerful, and he could really be helpful during goal-line situations and short yardage situations. He can split the double team well and can cause disruption along the offensive line. He has shown that he s a decent pass rusher (5 sacks this year, 10 TFL, and 49 tackles in 12 games). He still has good upside, too. While he s not an every down DT, he certainly would be great depth. Who knows, maybe one day he could be a starter. With Babs, Trey Lewis, Simeon Frazier, Glenn Dorsey, Tim Anderson (I know I m forgetting some other DTs) we have solid depth and great rotation. There s going to be a lot of competition at the DT spot during Training Camp.

Rd.6.pck.172-the Atlanta Falcons select: Martin Rucker, TE, Missouri

If we can manage to snag Martin Rucker with the 172th pick we have ourselves a steal. Most, if not all, of the TEs on the active roster at the moment are mainly blocking TEs. Now we need a pass catching TE. I purposely didn t select a pass catching TE in the early round because our offense doesn t use the TE very much. We all know however, that a TE can be a QBs best friends. Martin Rucker is big (6-5 251pounds) and has very good hands. He provides good depth and could quite possibly take over as the starting TE, eventually.  He is a productive receiver who could help immediately during Special Teams plays. Another player that is just too good to pass up at this point in the draft.

Rd.7.pck.212-the Atlanta Falcons select: Bryan Mattison, DE, Iowa

Another big Defensive Linemen to play on our bolstered defensive line. Bryan Mattison is a very underrated prospect in my opinion. At 6-4 290 pounds, he s a very big DE. Bryan Mattison is a very versatile player that can play DE behind John Abraham and UT, much like Justin Tuck did. He racked up 9 sacks last year, 11.5 TFL, and 61 tackles. Keep an eye out on this guy, trust me. He is very good against the run, and is also a very good tackler. He could get a lot of playing time playing behind John Abraham , all the while playing some UT. He projects to be either a DT or DE in the NFL, but he is a bit of a tweener.

Rd.7.pck.232-the Atlanta Falcons select: Patrick Carter, WE/KR/PR, Louisville

Adam Jennings is a joke. Lets get someone who s qualified to play his position. Patrick Carter is big (6-3 200 pounds) and played Quarterback in high school. He could be used in gadget plays. Even at 6-3 200 pounds, Patrick Carter runs a 4.32 40. That s pretty amazing if you ask me.

2008 NFL Draft Recap:

1. Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU

2. Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville

2. Sam Baker, OT, USC

2. Dan Conner, ILB, Penn State

2. Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona

3. Chilo Rachal, OG, USC

3.  Jordy Nelson, WR, Kansas State

4. Mike McGlynn, OT/OG, Pittsburgh

5. Frank Okam, DT, Texas

6. Martin Rucker, TE, Missouri

7. Bryan Mattison, DE, Iowa

7. Patrick Carter, WR/KR/PR, Louisville

Needs heading into next season:

SS, WR (?), K

Projected 2009 first round pick:

Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech

It s waaaaaay too early guess who we may target next year, but still, its fun to do it. :D

Thanks for taking the time to read my mock draft, I hope you enjoyed it!

Now leave lots of feedback, people!!!!!!

~Bush

Very good draft as far as positions....I am just not a Baker fan....I also really don't see the 2nd best OG prospect being available at the next to last pick in the 3rd round...thats me though....everyone else I like....I still don't see us getting out of the #3 pick as well.

Monsta (4/6/2008)
Very good draft as far as positions....I am just not a Baker fan....I also really don't see the 2nd best OG prospect being available at the next to last pick in the 3rd round...thats me though....everyone else I like....I still don't see us getting out of the #3 pick as well.

? The 68 overall selection in the beginning of the third round...just to clear this up your talking about Chilo Rachal, correct?

bush (4/6/2008)
Monsta (4/6/2008)

? The 68 overall selection in the beginning of the third round...just to clear this up your talking about Chilo Rachal, correct?

Your right...my mistake...its the beginning of Round 3

Well, it could be nice if it all worked out this way. I just can't see it happening.

1. the Jets don't have much incentive to trade up for McFadden since he's most likely falling to them anyway.

2. Did you start off with the assumption that Brohm would be our 2nd round pick & make your 1st round fit that assumption? Looks like it to me a little bit (and most other drafts that have us getting Brohm in the 2nd). I can't see him falling out of the 1st round.

3. Sam Baker just doesn't fit what we're wanting to do on the OL. We're trying to get physical, and that's just not a Baker trait, he's a technical blocker that is going to be a good fit on a ZBS team or a pass first team, but not here.

4. Again, did you put players in for us and make the draft fit around that? I see no way Conner lasts until 37, Cason to 48 (absolutely not), and Rachal to 68.

5. Picks 103 & 138 I like. A little early according to a lot of draft gurus, but I like them at those spots.

6. Rucker, I don't really think he's going to last this long, but that's where a lot of people have him set to go (6th round).

7. Picks 212 & 232 are fine picks at those spots.