When did you become a Falcons fan?

MidWest Falcon

While we grow restless waiting for the Draft, I thought we could learn a little bit about our fellow board members.  I also started this thread in this forum because I did not want it to get corrupted in TATF ;)

Here I go:

I was born in Montgomery, Alabama and moved to Georgia when I was about 11 yrs old.  My family and I moved to Duluth, Ga and I lived their untill I moved out here in Kansas.  I was not a Falcons fan untill I met one of my good friends.  His dad had season tickets and we went to a game (1993).  It was my first pro football game ever and it was a blast.  I was hooked from then on.  I was also very lucky to have known Billy "Whiteshoes" Johnson.  I was the same age as one of his sons and we grew up together playing football for Duluth.  Billy was our 8th grade football coach as well.  It was awesome!  I've also attended football camps at Flowery Branch.  All of these things are the reason why I became a huge fan of the Falcons. 

Well that's my story.  Hope to hear everyone else's :)

From the start.

I remember being amazed at the drafting of Tommie Nobis--19 1/2" neck. I have been a draft junkie ever since.

Went to the first game in 1966 at Atlanta Stadium and can't even remember who my date was.

I still have not seen back to back winning seasons--but will soon.

Really only been a Falcons fan since '97.  By '98, I was certain I had made an excellent choice in teams to support.  DOH!  :pinch:

Actually, I moved from NC to Atlanta in the mid 80s.  I didn't really pull for any particular team until the Panthers came to Charlotte.  Then I followed them for a little while, too.  Weird thing is, about the time I bought my first house, I got a TV w/a decent (for then) sized screen, 32-34" and started to enjoy watching sports on TV more, especially FB.  I was broke a lot when I first got the house, so I was at home more on game days.  Started pulling for the home team, and by the time Dan Reeves was doing some good things, and Vick came onboard, I was pretty much hooked.  I've watched them off & on over the years, but I still kinda date 97 as the year I really started making them my fave team.  I still watch and appreciate some other teams, but not any in the NFC South so much so anymore.  Can't really be a Falcons fan, and still be a fan of others in your own division, I suppose. 

I don't really use the word "hate" much either w/other teams, boss. (maybe the Patriots, but even then - ya gotta respect).  I like "can't stand" as in "I can't stand Tampa."  :)

For as long as I've been a football fan, unfortunatly I didn't become a big football fan until around 2002. I've always supported the home team though, watched the SuperBowl and NFL Championship in 98/99 but really didn't get it, I was only like 13 at the time.

As a schoolboy in Atlanta/ Sandy Springs 3 years after moving from suburban Chicago (Bears), became a fan when Pete Roselle awarded Rankin Smith with a NFL franchise 1965.  After college and grad school later, became a season ticket holder for 20 years.  Lived in suburban Dallas since 1993.

as a small kid, i only knew of one team...the cowboys lol. i guess there was something about the stars on the helmets. when i started paying attention to the game on tv, i realized that we had a team here in georgia.(keep in mind we only had about three channels we could get and one had lawrence welk, not football.) coca-cola had a bottle top game or something with falcons players on them and got me familiar with the team. i would guess that was 1981 or so when i became true blue.it may have been a little earlier, but the bartkowski rainbow passes made me a die hard fan, and i'm still that way today.....just like a little kid hoping to see a win on sunday.

3073 (4/6/2008)
as a small kid, i only knew of one team...the cowboys lol. i guess there was something about the stars on the helmets. when i started paying attention to the game on tv, i realized that we had a team here in georgia.(keep in mind we only had about three channels we could get and one had lawrence welk, not football.) coca-cola had a bottle top game or something with falcons players on them and got me familiar with the team. i would guess that was 1981 or so when i became true blue.it may have been a little earlier, but the bartkowski rainbow passes made me a die hard fan, and i'm still that way today.....just like a little kid hoping to see a win on sunday.

that was intense man

Dalton (4/6/2008)
3073 (4/6/2008)

that was intense man

I'm sorry, how was that intense? "Deep" might be the word you are looking for, I guess. No disrespect.

I started playing football when I was about 8. At that time I didn't really know Pro Football existed. I was more of baseball fan, with a hobby. My team wasn't really that good, because we were more baseball oriented, just used football as a conditioning waiting for baseball.

Then I saw my first football game on T.V. Fox channel 31 carried the game. My dad and I would watch the game and at halftime we would go out and throw passes and run routes. White shoes was the best in my eyes and Bart looked so poised in the pocket. If you ask me what was the score I probably couldn't tell you. The passion I had for watching the game was what made me strive to play better each week.

To address the original question, 1985 would be about the time I became a fan.

Dem Birds Can Fly (4/6/2008)
Dalton (4/6/2008)
3073 (4/6/2008)

that was intense man

I'm sorry, how was that intense? "Deep" might be the word you are looking for, I guess. No disrespect.

same thing haha

I was more of a baseball fan for a long time and I just loved the Falcons when they beat the Vikings in 98 playoff. Then I became a die-hard Falcons fan when Mike Vick got his first start in 2002 and it was the 1st game against the Packers. We did loose that game but Vick put on a show. We lost by last second FG. I think the score was like 33-36 or something like that. But I knew that this could be a start of a new era. The Packers couldnt stop Vick. Vick kept extending the drives by his feet. It was so funny. It was as if we were cheating because we had Vick.

trubirdfan4life (4/6/2008)

I remember meeting lynn cain and william andrews and I still have a poster that they signed for me in 1980.

Spot on dear chap.  I would say that 1977, when I was 6-years-old, is the culmination of my obsession with the Falcons.  I remember buying a pack of Topps NFL cards and thinking that the Gerald Riggs card would definitely be worth huge money some day.  So yes, somewhere in the late 70's and I was loyal all those years.  And then in 2004 I realized my dream of becoming a season ticket holder and have been ever since.  Love them Falcons no matter what!

--Gregg

I was a military brat hailing from Chicago and was never into football. I watched some SB's and such with dad and when we came here I didn't have friends. So, on Sundays I really didn't have much to do and the only fooball team that they showed (nothing else on) was the Falcons. I enjoyed their spirit of wanting to win and they became "my friends". That was 1989....I was 14.

I watched baseball until the strike of 1994, and swore no sports ever again. My friend was a Florida Gators fan, and when I'd go hang out saturday's everyone at his house would watch the game. I started to get sucked into it in 2001, the year after I graduated high school (go figure, playing with the team later I think I could've been a decent SS). Then on sundays I had nothing to do, found out there was a pro team that played on sundays, and since Atlanta is closest I picked the Falcons. So about 2002 was when I started watching pro football, been a Falcon fan since. :)