UGA's G-Day game looms large.

SacFalcFan

UGA's G-Day game looms large

Seven players will be under critical spotlight

By CARTER STRICKLAND

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 04/03/08

Seven players for Georgia that could make an impact in Saturday's G-Day game at Sanford Stadium. Game time is 2 p.m.

" Caleb King, redshirt freshman running back. King is sure to see plenty of action for a couple of reasons. The first is there is no need to risk an injury to Knowshon Moreno. The coaches know what Moreno can do. Secondly, they do not know what King can do. He has not played since he was injured midway through his senior season at Greater Atlanta Christian in 2006.

" Tavarres King, freshman, wide receiver. Injuries may thrust King into the forefront this spring but it has been his consistent play that has earned him accolades from his coaches and teammates. King is a natural receiver with the ability to close on balls that might be slightly overthrown.

" Ben Jones, freshman, center. Georgia is not sure what it wants to do at center yet. A big day by Jones may help push him even closer to sophomore Chris Davis. Jones has had a bad ankle during the spring but has not let it slow him down.

" Justin Houston, redshirt freshman, defensive end. Houston had four sacks in the second scrimmage of the spring. A converted linebacker, Houston has speed off the edge and has really caused trouble for the tackles.

" Kiante Tripp, sophomore, tackle. Tripp took one for the team last year when he converted from a defensive end to a offensive tackle. He has started to fill out and has made his way into the starting role. If he wants to hold on to that roll he has to perform better in the scrimmages.

" Richard Samuel, freshman, running back. No less than Caleb King calls Samuel and athletic freak so that is just an indication of what tools Samuel possess. Although Samuel is young he has shown he might deserve playing time as a true freshman in the fall.

" Reshad Jones, sophomore, safety. When quarterback Joe Cox was asked the one defensive player he didn't want to test, Jones was his immediate answer. Jones has a knack for making the big play or turning the routine play into the big play.

Carter Strickland

I'm ready for Saturday, and my trip to Athens, but there's a 90% chance of rain. I hope it somehow misses Athens and we get to stay dry.

Next Saturday in Gainesville is 40% too. Hopefully that changes for the better as well.

Not sure about my April 19th trip to Atlanta for Tech's spring game.

featherz17 (4/3/2008)
I'm kind of anxious to see Justin "Big Bean" Anderson. He attended the same high school as I did. I've watched nearly all of his prep games. He's a great guy. I wish him the best at UGA.

dude Bean is just awesome.. they said he has been the most impressive olineman so far this spring practice.. he is strong as an ox, great quickness, terrific foot movement.. he has a bright future this year.. IMO he starts at LG.

featherz17 (4/3/2008)
Very strong. I worked out at the same gym as he did when he came home from Hargrave. I used to pick at him about not going to UF. I'm pulling for him to have a stellar career with the dawgs.
I would have been like, well you're just not good enough to go to a team that is national champions.

Ethanga62890 (4/3/2008)
featherz17 (4/3/2008)
Very strong. I worked out at the same gym as he did when he came home from Hargrave. I used to pick at him about not going to UF. I'm pulling for him to have a stellar career with the dawgs.
I would have been like, well you're just not good enough to go to a team that is national champions.

fortunately for you being an unc fan you won't have to worry about joking like that.. LOLOL :P

Ethanga62890 (4/3/2008)
featherz17 (4/3/2008)

lol

I'm only 5'9.

SacFalcFan (4/3/2008)
Ethanga62890 (4/3/2008)
featherz17 (4/3/2008)

fortunately for you being an unc fan you won't have to worry about joking like that.. LOLOL :P

Actually my brother did that to Mike Mercer after he signed a LOI to UGA :P

featherz17 (4/3/2008)
Ethanga62890 (4/3/2008)
featherz17 (4/3/2008)

lol

I'm only 5'9.

Oh come on he's only 6'5 and 330 pounds.

featherz17 (4/3/2008)

glad he didn't listen to ya.. LOL he is going to just add making this one of the best olines this year.. i can't wait to see how they played against that florida dline.

featherz17 (4/3/2008)
and vice versa. Our oline is going to be pretty good themselves. Should be a great game. For a National Championship berth possibly.

yeah i wasn't dissing your oline. i know they are very good.. I was just real intrigued to see if moreno and that oline can dominate again with some new starters.

bulldogmaniac (4/4/2008)
I watched Samual play a local team (I live in Dalton) and he ripped off 200 yards in the first qtr before the game was called due to lightning.

He is a beast!

I cant wait to get a glimpse of AJ Green as well.

remember aj green won't be in school til summer.. he didn't enroll early..