What happened to old school parenting?

btrain5489

I was watching Mike and Mike this morning and they were talking about Matt Leinart's pictures and some of the e-mails they got complained that Leinart is a role model and he shouldn't behave that way.

What happened to parents being the only role models their kids needed? What happened to parents that take responsibility for their children's actions rather than blaming TV, video games, music, and basically everyone except the two (or sometimes one) person really responsible?

I read in the student newspaper at Duke that they were considering closing the library to the general public because there had been a string of laptop thefts recently. A few brilliant parents were blaming the university for not making the library closed to the general public a long long time ago. How about blaming yourself for raising a kid that's foolish enough to leave their valuables unattended in a public place?

Good grief...what is it with parents these days? I'm only 22 and even I realize there's a huge gap between how old school parents operated and how many parents today handle things.

What happened?

It sucks. My ex wife treats my daughter like a "friend" instead of a parent. Now my kid thinks I am mean because I have rules she has to follow while she is at my place. She is 8 years old and she thinks she can do whatever she pleases. My ex gives her no curfew, no bedtime, no food rules. I will go over to my ex's house and I ask where my kid is and the ex says "outside somewhere". I am like "she is ####### 8 years old and you don't know where she is?". When I was 8 my parents wouldn't let me out of their sight. I couldn't leave the driveway.

Lord Dark Helmet (4/3/2008)
It sucks. My ex wife treats my daughter like a "friend" instead of a parent. Now my kid thinks I am mean because I have rules she has to follow while she is at my place. She is 8 years old and she thinks she can do whatever she pleases. My ex gives her no curfew, no bedtime, no food rules. I will go over to my ex's house and I ask where my kid is and the ex says "outside somewhere". I am like "she is ####### 8 years old and you don't know where she is?". When I was 8 my parents wouldn't let me out of their sight. I couldn't leave the driveway.

**** that sucks. When I was 8 we were miles back in the woods in the creek from sun up to sun down. I grew up in a good neighborhood though, so my dad didn't have anything to really worry about. I would have gone nuts if my dad didn't let me out of the driveway.

Dear America, you know those little people running around your house and asking you for food and money? Those are your children and your responsibility to parent, not ours. We arent going to raise your children and teach them right from wrong. Thats the responsiblity you took when you decided to get your eggo preggo.

Seriously though... a guy in his early 20s hanging out with some attractive women and drinking beer? Who does he think he is? Oh, yeah, right, one of the 95% of single guys his age that do the exact same thing.

Headshot (4/3/2008)

**** that sucks. When I was 8 we were miles back in the woods in the creek from sun up to sun down. I grew up in a good neighborhood though, so my dad didn't have anything to really worry about. I would have gone nuts if my dad didn't let me out of the driveway.

Well you were lucky. I spent my younger years growing up in South Central Los Angeles.

And YOU CHOSE to have a child with this woman?

Old school Paranting Vs.. New school using a TRUE story for refrence.

New School, you Slap you child for Misbehaving, They make a Threat about calling Child Services... Parent Folds.

Old School.

You get slapped, you make that same Threat You get slapped again

My School ,

You get slapped, make the threat. get slapped again, say "Ok I'm really gonna call".....

The response...

"Well, If you dial that Number, I may go to jail... But it will be for Murder & not abuse... Y know they won't be here for at least 10 Minutes"

clownorg (4/4/2008)
Old school Paranting Vs.. New school using a TRUE story for refrence.

New School, you Slap you child for Misbehaving, They make a Threat about calling Child Services... Parent Folds.

Old School.

You get slapped, you make that same Threat You get slapped again

My School ,

You get slapped, make the threat. get slapped again, say "Ok I'm really gonna call".....

The response...

"Well, If you dial that Number, I may go to jail... But it will be for Murder & not abuse... Y know they won't be here for at least 10 Minutes"

I found that funny, lol!