ovie mughelli

miKevicK777

BirdsOnPatrol (4/3/2008)
i think he is the highest paid fullback in football.. but to be fair hes a pretty good player, soo i can accept that

Nope Greg Jones of the Jags makes more than him now. Just signed a 3.5 mil a year deal.

Being truthful i think Fullbacks are underpaid for what they do. A good fullback can make a average running game good and a good running game great. Plus if they can pass block they are just like having a extra o-lineman who can catch when need be. 3 mil a year for someone that versatile is a bargain to me. I was glad we got ovie at that price last year and after watching him blow linebackers up when the o-line does what their supposed to do im still glad we got him for 3 mil a year as of today.

Of course.  That's part of the reason Rick McKay is no longer in charge of football decisions.

He's a RUN-BLOCKING FULLBACK!!!!!!!  Always has been.... Always will be....

If he does his job you NEVER KNOW HE'S THERE.... like an offensive lineman.

I thought we should have kept the fullback that Dan Reeves drafted because HE was versatile.  We HAD a fullback that could catch the ball out of the back-field and was a mismatch against most linebackers.  He even played a little RB.

But NOOOOO.  We had a new "offensive guru" coming in and he didn't want that... of course we know now that he was a #####....

Ovie was a bad signing vs re-signing the guy we had drafted.  There's NOTHING that will convince me otherwise

I don't know why people think he's going to be some kind of weapon.  HE'S A FULLBACK!!!  HE RUN BLOCKS!!!! 

Sun Tzu 7 (4/3/2008)
Of course. That's part of the reason Rick McKay is no longer in charge of football decisions.

He's a RUN-BLOCKING FULLBACK!!!!!!! Always has been.... Always will be....

If he does his job you NEVER KNOW HE'S THERE.... like an offensive lineman.

I thought we should have kept the fullback that Dan Reeves drafted because HE was versatile. WeHAD afullback that could catch the ball out of the back-field and was a mismatch against most linebackers. He even played a little RB.

But NOOOOO. We had a new "offensive guru" coming in and he didn't want that... of course we know now that he was a #####....

Ovie was a bad signing vs re-signing the guy we had drafted. There's NOTHING that will convince me otherwise

I don't know why people think he's going to be some kind of weapon. HE'S A FULLBACK!!! HE RUN BLOCKS!!!!

And thats exactly why i prefer him over Griffith. Griffith was not a good run blocking FB or that great of a pass blocker. In a power run scheme Griffith would have been in trouble. He is exactly where he needs to be in a ZBS which suits his skills much better and is where he will look his best. Im not saying Griffith is a bad FB i actually think he is a really good FB for the right scheme.

And thats exactly why i prefer him over Griffith. Griffith was not a good run blocking FB or that great of a pass blocker. In a power run scheme Griffith would have been in trouble. He is exactly where he needs to be in a ZBS which suits his skills much better and is where he will look his best. Im not saying Griffith is a bad FB i actually think he is a really good FB for the right scheme.

When you say it like that I agree.  I would have like to have kept Griffith because I liked his versatility and work ethic and most importantly... he was cheaper.

What's good for Ovie is that he's now playing for an NFL staff that understands NFL defensive players.

This is something that I realized with Petirno.  In college defensive players may have been moved around from offense or other positons and have 4 years MAX experience at that level.  When Petirno got to the NFL EVERY NFL defensive player was instantly more experienced than ANYTHING Petirno had seen in his experience as a college head coach.

There's a HUGE difference between a college senior and a 5 year NFL vet.

I don't see THIS staff running the same plays out of the same formation... NFL defensive players tend to notice little things like that...

Top 5 FB in the NFL. He is probably one of the best, if not the best FB when it comes to just eating a LB alive when run blocking. In the system we will be using now, he will be much more utilized. Is he overpaid? Yes. However, his total impact on the cap is marginal. He makes alot of money for a FB, but he doesn't make that much in comparison to other players.

i don't know. last year he wasn't used enough, so thats not a good catalyst. justin went to oakland and lead fargus to a career high in rushing. so i think he would have done ok here. i will have to wait till this year and hope the o-line stays healthy before i pass judgement on the ovie move.

2 players that would have helped this franchise if they had been still on it....Chris Draft in the 2005 and 2006 season(not anymore though), and Justin Griffith.

Justin went on to make 1/6th of what Ovie makes....but sees the field on almost every play. He is a solid blocking back(helped us lead the NFL in rushing multiple times) and is very versatile. And hes a great locker room guy...a real role model for others to follow, not just in football.

Ovie started less than half the games he played in at Baltimore, and routinely sat on the bench behind a more versatile player.

ki45toryu (4/3/2008)
2 players that would have helped this franchise if they had been still on it....Chris Draft in the 2005 and 2006 season(not anymore though), and Justin Griffith.

Justin went on to make 1/6th of what Ovie makes....but sees the field on almost every play. He is a solid blocking back(helped us lead the NFL in rushing multiple times) and is very versatile. And hes a great locker room guy...a real role model for others to follow, not just in football.

Ovie started less than half the games he played in at Baltimore, and routinely sat on the bench behind a more versatile player.

You are SOOOO right about Draft.  That was McKay's first mistake along with getting rid of Ed Jasper and Travis Hall.  Were they superstars? Nope.  Were they vital parts of our defensive line rotation when we led the league in sacks? You better believe it.

But the Chris Draft thing... I could never figure out why we didn't keep him just for depth reasons.  Didn't San Fran get rid of him when Mora was the DC?

So the year after we lead the league in sacks and finished in the top half in overall D... We thinned out the defensive line by letting go of Jasper and Hall... and then messed up the depth we had at MLB... No wonder we had major problems stopping the run the next season.

How different could '05 have been if Draft was still on the team?  Brooking could have stayed at WLB... We might not have gotten swept by the Panthers because Draft had monster games that year...

You know what's funny.  Remember how the Falcons stress character?  Draft LITERALLY  saved a man's life by pulling him out of a burning car one night.

For a team that has been stressing character... you sure couldn't tell it by the players we have let go over the years:  Draft, Kerney, Dunn, Crumpler, etc.  Yeah that "character" line the front office has been feeding us is just that... a line.

just wait and see after this year whether he is overpaid. he is a blocking fullback who needs to find the right system. i can see him thriving in mularkys offense. mularky has been praising this guy during the off season after watching videos. he can be critical to power running game since we now have turner and i can see him being used in short yardage situations. have read that mularky is going to utilize him to be one of the premeire fullbacks in the leaque.

overpaid AND underused.

I think he caught one pass and had maybe five carries. That's about a hundred thousand a touch.

The very very poor decision making of this organization is what helped me decide to either watch it on tv or just read about the blacked out games on the web.

This year is going to be brutal.

Sun Tzu 7 (4/3/2008)
ki45toryu (4/3/2008)

You are SOOOO right about Draft.  That was McKay's first mistake along with getting rid of Ed Jasper and Travis Hall.  Were they superstars? Nope.  Were they vital parts of our defensive line rotation when we led the league in sacks? You better believe it.

But the Chris Draft thing... I could never figure out why we didn't keep him just for depth reasons.  Didn't San Fran get rid of him when Mora was the DC?

So the year after we lead the league in sacks and finished in the top half in overall D... We thinned out the defensive line by letting go of Jasper and Hall... and then messed up the depth we had at MLB... No wonder we had major problems stopping the run the next season.

How different could '05 have been if Draft was still on the team?  Brooking could have stayed at WLB... We might not have gotten swept by the Panthers because Draft had monster games that year...

You know what's funny.  Remember how the Falcons stress character?  Draft LITERALLY  saved a man's life by pulling him out of a burning car one night.

For a team that has been stressing character... you sure couldn't tell it by the players we have let go over the years:  Draft, Kerney, Dunn, Crumpler, etc.  Yeah that "character" line the front office has been feeding us is just that... a line.

There were so many grilling me about my opinion that we should have kept Draft (this being the summer of 2005). Many, many people were calling him the liability of the defense, and Hartwell was going to bring a new dimension to our defense that was lacking.

Hartwell ended up bringing a lot of hot air and a pair of bad knees...and Draft went on making plays for whatever team he was on.

I dont blame McKay for Hall and Jasper though. Hall was pretty much done, and Jasper kept openly talking about wanting to quit football.

I do blame him for letting go Draft for no reason, not re-signing Griffith, and letting Cory Hall go. Hall wasnt spectacular, but brought solid play to that position that was lacking until last season with some solid play by Crocker.

BirdsOnPatrol (4/3/2008)
i think he is the highest paid fullback in football.. but to be fair hes a pretty good player, soo i can accept that

Someone mentioned that he is not the highest paid FB anymore, I think that is right. A GOOD fullback PROPERLY used is extremely valuable. Ask Emmit Smith about the moose, ask some old 49ers about ol' Rathman. Mack Strong was good for years. I hope Owen Schmidt pans out, he has the makings of a great fullback.