it's starting to look like the Falcons just need to go ahead and draft an OT at 3

halsey

That's pretty much how I feel today. From what i'm reading there will be at least 6 O-lineman gone before the Falcons second pick. The perceived depth at OT has been taking a hit of late: Teams are worried about Sam Baker's durability and he seems to have dissapointed at USC's pro day, Carl Nix has character questions, Heath Benedict passed away, Tony Hills has major health questions, etc. The Falcons could take Long or Clady at 3 and then go into the second with a chance for better value at other positions. No more than 3 QB's will be gone in round 1, so the Falcons will have more choice at QB in the second. There should be more DT's than OT's left in the second, as well. The only other position that is expected to be as heavily selected in the first round is CB.

I think the quality of DT's takes a nosedive after Dorsey and Ellis.  But there are only 31 first round picks so some of these supposed first round OT's can easily get to us in the second, much like Blalock last year who was tagged as a first rounder by most.

direwolf (4/3/2008)
An interesting thought.

That said, I wouldn't take Clady at 3 over guys like Dorsey or even Gholston. If we traded down a few picks, I'd be happier about it, but not at 3.

Direwolf

Yeah, trading down would be nice, but I wouldn't count on it.

halsey (4/3/2008)
Hey krunk, you need to go ahead and forget Albert in the second. There is talk of him going top 15 now...and uh, Heath Benedict is dead....

yea.  i made that mock 2 weeks before tha combine.  im working on one right now that's bound to knock some socks off.

direwolf (4/3/2008)
An interesting thought.

That said, I wouldn't take Clady at 3 over guys like Dorsey or even Gholston. If we traded down a few picks, I'd be happier about it, but not at 3.

Direwolf

I would love to see the Jets trade up to take McFadden. We could pick up another pick and get Clady or choose several players at good value..

formul8or (4/3/2008)
I think the quality of DT's takes a nosedive after Dorsey and Ellis. But there are only 31 first round picks so some of these supposed first round OT's can easily get to us in the second, much like Blalock last year who was tagged as a first rounder by most.

Have you seen the DT from Carolina... or the DT from Auburn that puts up the same numbers as dorsey?

I for one am opposed to trading down in the first or up later on. We need to keep what we have. Draft Dorsey or Long, preferably Long. This is of course unless Dallas offers us there two first round picks, that would be the only trade I would be ok with. We need to take Long or Dorsey two potential HoF players who are at least going to be multi pro bowlers. We are rebuilding and this draft looks better and better every time I look at who we have the potential to draft.

67camaro (4/3/2008)
Yea lets all over react shall we. Lets draft a OT at #3 even if one is not rated that high. Lets REACH at #3!! that way we can REACH with al of our other picks as well!!

Some of you guys read one report, and go all to crap.

What ratings are you talking about? And this is not based on one report.

direwolf (4/3/2008)
An interesting thought.

Direwolf

+1. To add some rhetoric, Clady is apparently dumb as a mule, and twice as ugly. If we traded down to around #8-10 and took him, OK.

If we can't get long at #3, a lot of people want Dorsey. I think he could be a stud, but I just get this bad feeling about his knee now. I wouldn't mind Gholston at all, because the reality is Abraham could get dinged again, and Anderson might not pan out. U hate to draft an insurance guy at #3, but abraham is also getting up there in age, so within a couple of years, we'd have to be looking at taking another good DE prospect anyway. No sense prolonging the inevitable.

formul8or (4/3/2008)
I think the quality of DT's takes a nosedive after Dorsey and Ellis. But there are only 31 first round picks so some of these supposed first round OT's can easily get to us in the second, much like Blalock last year who was tagged as a first rounder by most.

I disagree. I think both the DT from UNC (can't remember his name) and Moore from Maryland are very promising prospects. I also consider our OL a more pressing need than our DT position, so given that we can't draft both in the 1st round, gotta go with OL. I can see us taking either of the above mentioned DT's in the 2nd rd.

One guy I see rated highly is Chris Williams from Vandy (also a Baton Rouge Catholic product - same as Warrick Dunn and Major Applewhite).  Williams is rated high, but what worries me, from what I hear, is his upper body strength.  I just don't know about him.  What about this guy Greco (Toledo) or Nicks (Nebraska)??  I have heard good things about those 2.

I see four OTs with first round potential (Long, Clady, Otah, and Williams).  Long is the only one I would consider at 3.  Trade down a couple of slots and I would be happy with Clady.  I think both Otah and Williams are late first or very early second.

I only see two, possibly three DTs with first potential (Dorsey and Ellis with Balmer on the bubble between one and two). I think Laws and Sims are both solid second rounders.

The Falcons need to take at least one OT in thios draft. That's not even debateable. My argument would be even if Long is gone and Clady is not considered a good 'value' at 3, taking him would allow you to draft for more value in the 2nd when so many OT's will be gone and the Falcons will be reaching in the second. One way or another the Falcons will need to reach to get an OT if Long goes top 2. There's no way the Falcons shouldn't take an OT in the first 2 rounds. Maybe Sam Baker would be on the board at pick 34, but it sounds like that is the best case scenario.

How many OT's from the 1st rd's are in a Colts or Patriots uniform?  NONE!

Look at the NY Giants picks from the last three years, NO OL in the first 3 rounds.

2004 --  Phillip Rivers, NC State, traded to SD for Eli Manning, Miss.

2005 Corey Webster (2nd Round), DB, LSU

2006 Mathias Kiwanuka, DE, Boston College

2007 - Aaron Ross, CB, Texas

NY Giants roster by rd's

CURRENT GIANTS DRAFT CHOICES BY ROUND

FIRST ROUND

TE Jeremy Shockey (2002)

DT  William Joseph (2003)

QB  Eli Manning (2004)*

DE Mathias Kiwanuka (2006)

CB Aaron Ross (2007)

SECOND ROUND

DE  Michael Strahan (1993)

WR Amani Toomer (1996)

DE Osi Umenyiora (2003)

G Chris Snee (2004)

CB Corey Webster (2005)

WR Sinorice Moss (2006)

WR Steve Smith (2007)

THIRD ROUND

DE Justin Tuck (2005)

LB Gerris Wilkinson (2006)

DT Jay Alford (2007)

FOURTH ROUND

LB  Reggie Torbor (2004)

RB  Brandon Jacobs (2005)

DT  Barry Cofield (2006)

T   Guy Whimper (2006)

LB Zak DeOssie (2007)

FIFTH ROUND

G David Diehl (2003)

S Gibril Wilson (2004)

TE Kevin Boss (2007)

SIXTH ROUND

WR  David Tyree (2003)

CB   Gerrick McPhearson (2006 )

T Adam Koets (2007)

SEVENTH ROUND

Passing on perhaps the best two DT's in the last 8 years+ is confounding.

direwolf (4/3/2008)
An interesting thought.

Direwolf

my thoughts exactly, if Clady is targeted, move down a few picks and pick up a second or third, who cares...just don't over pay and lose out on value

Draftnut57 (4/3/2008)
I hope your joking , the only OT worth the #3 is Jake , if he is gone we should draft Ellis or Dorsey.

No, i'm not joking and what he's worth is just opinion. People on these boards didn;t think Jamaal Brown was worth the Saints trading up for him. People everywhere though Robert Gallery was worth the #2 overall pick in 2004. What a guy is supposedly worth before the draft doesn't mean much in the long run.

halsey (4/3/2008)
Draftnut57 (4/3/2008)
I hope your joking , the only OT worth the #3 is Jake , if he is gone we should draft Ellis or Dorsey.

No, i'm not joking and what he's worth is just opinion. People on these boards didn;t think Jamaal Brown was worth the Saints trading up for him. People everywhere though Robert Gallery was worth the #2 overall pick in 2004. What a guy is supposedly worth before the draft doesn't mean much in the long run.

Here's the point , take the best player per pick , there will be some very good Ots in the other rounds , I assure you . Plus we need some Vet OTs anyway more than rookies . Let me finish by saing this that may make you feel better , If I had to guess right now who our #3 pick will be , I'd say I think that about 75% chance it will be Jake Long . I really do . And I couldn't say a word if we go that way , and I'll just be hoping for a good DT in the 2nd round like Trever Laws .