Myth Busters - Ryan "not wanting to come to Atlanta"

Rev_Hal

When I first heard the reports during a Saturday Boston College game last fall that Ryan stated he did not want to come to the Falcons, I was a bit peeved. I mean really, who wants a player that dos not want to be here in the long haul? It would be Deion or D-lo all over again.

But the more I read and heard from Ryan, I discovered that this was not true. In fact, the ONLY place I could find any such report on Ryan was on THIS message board.

Ryan has been complementary of Blank, Dimitroff, Smith, and the city of Atlanta. He has been nothing but gracious when discussing the posibility of playing in Atlanta.

I honestly believe now that Ryan did not make those reported comments that Saturday, and that the rumor was started and was fueled by Falcons fans on this board who do not want him here. Just my opinion, but from all I have read, that seems to be the case.

And for the record, I want the Falcons to draft Jake Long or Dorsey. I am not saying the Falcons should draft Ryan. I just want to debunk the myth that he does not want to play here.

and i was just about to ask you are you in favor of bringing ryan to the atl, but i guess u answered that already...i just dont see why other people want him..no matter what QB we have behind this offensive line, they will get killed and look like a bust. football starts in the trenches with the o line and d line..me personally having jake long would be a dream come true..him and blaylock with ovie and norwood or turner on a toss sweep to that same side long is on, wow...

Robb4242 (4/3/2008)
formul8or (4/3/2008)
The announcers said the 'no thanks' part jokingly on TV, the message board just took it seriously.
Yeah, that really took on a life of it's own. Some people still believe it was Ryan that said it as part of an interview.

Seriously. I have searched, and I can fond no other source that reported it other than fans here. No professional writer or reporter ever mentioned it.

rev_hal (4/3/2008)
Robb4242 (4/3/2008)
formul8or (4/3/2008)
The announcers said the 'no thanks' part jokingly on TV, the message board just took it seriously.
Yeah, that really took on a life of it's own. Some people still believe it was Ryan that said it as part of an interview.

Seriously. I have searched, and I can fond no other source that reported it other than fans here. No professional writer or reporter ever mentioned it.

The way they said it, it really did sound like they were implying that Ryan said he didn't want to be a Falcon. In the aftermath I guess that isn't what they meant, but they did a poor job during the broadcast of splitting up a serious report from a sarcastic comment...

rev_hal (4/3/2008)
Robb4242 (4/3/2008)
formul8or (4/3/2008)

If you can find it, post it. Even a mention of it from a non-falcons related site (except the official site excluding MB posters).

The only time I've heard it referenced was in the ACC Championship game. One the announcers (from Atlanta area) was recounting an interview with Ryan after 1 practice leading up to the game. He said he ended the interview telling Ryan "You know, we need a QB in Atlanta" and the other announcer jumped in (Bob Griese) saying "Yeah, and Ryan said No Thanks" and then they both laughed at the joke.

That's what spun this entire thing about Ryan not wanting to play here up.

Tbe message board has some wonderful qualities about it, getting to discuss Falcons football with other passionate fans and all......but man, it also has it's drawbacks, such as the lack of accountability for intellectual honesty.

I was raised with the understanding that he truth matters, and that it is wrong to say things you know aren't true. It pains me greatly to see mostly younger generations feel that spreading blatant falsehoods  in cyberspace is perfectly acceptable if it supports your position.

It really is unfortunate that an honest dialogue and sincere debate can be difficult to find at times around here, especially when it comes to certain topics such as which player should be starting or which player should be drafting.

falkonX7 (4/3/2008)
Statick (4/3/2008)
I this was debunked a long time ago.

I guess not.

I guess I just don't see why it matters.

So he didn't say it. I still don't want to draft him.

It sure isn't a myth that alot of Atlanta fans don't want him coming here regardless.

falkonX7 (4/3/2008)
Statick (4/3/2008)

I guess not.

It matters to me becuase it's not true, and people are saying it with disregard to the truth.

If it were true, and iof we drafted him,  it would negatively impact my view of him as a Falcon. Since it is not true, I would welcome him irrespective of the fact that he;s not my choice for that 3rd pick.

Lies and falsehoods about players do matter to me.

gazoo (4/3/2008)
falkonX7 (4/3/2008)
Statick (4/3/2008)

I guess not.

It matters to me becuase it's not true, and people are saying it with disregard to the truth.

If it were true, and iof we drafted him,  it would negatively impact my view of him as a Falcon. Since it is not true, I would welcome him irrespective of the fact that he;s not my choice for that 3rd pick.

Lies and falsehoods about players do matter to me.

And face it - Ryan very well might be the #1 pick of the Falcons, whether we are in favor of that or not. If he is, he does not need to start his career here hated by a small, vocal, and uninformed section of the fans.

fan since 1968 (4/3/2008)
Statick (4/3/2008)

It sure isn't a myth that alot of Atlanta fans don't want him coming here regardless.

Ryan is starting to rival Vick and D-Hall as an object of blind hatred.

I don't hate Ryan... I hate the idea of grabbing him @ 3. I don't think he sucks I just don't think he is worthy of that pick. IMO he isn't head and shoulder better than every other QB in this class and if you take him @ 3 he **** well better be.

As far as him getting hated by a small, vocal group... thats gonna happen regardless so you may as well go ahead and prepare yourself for that.

falkonX7 (4/3/2008)
Statick (4/3/2008)

I don't hate Ryan... I hate the idea of grabbing him @ 3. I don't think he sucks I just don't think he is worthy of that pick. IMO he isn't head and shoulder better than every other QB in this class and if you take him @ 3 he **** well better be.

As far as him getting hated by a small, vocal group... thats gonna happen regardless so you may as well go ahead and prepare yourself for that.

I've got some doubts about Ryan at @ 3 too. If he does turn out to be the pick I'm hopeful the bulk of the fanbase will give him a fair chance.

Statick (4/3/2008)

Nah, I really don't believe its due to any blind hatred towards him on what he was rumored to have said. I think its more of because people have started to realize that he isn't head and shoulders above any other QB in this year's draft and people don't want their picks dictated to them by ESPN analysts.

falkonX7 (4/3/2008)
Statick (4/3/2008)

It appears you have no problem with posters spreading lies about Ryan becuase you keep rationalizing why it is ok to.

I was wondering if you think it's ok for people to spread lies about you or your favorite falcon player as well?  Or, is it just ok to spread lies about players you personally don;t want here?

Just curious as to what your thought process is on this spreading of lies. I would be interested for you to explain.