Michael Boley or another 1st round pick

The Last Fan

Michael Boley was given the highest tender to a LB on his last year of his contract. Which means other teams can make an offer to him and sign him but they will have to give us a 1st round as compensation and possibly a 3rd depending of who signs him.

This is why he hasn't been signed to a long term contract yet because the organization wants to weigh its options and possibilities before committing to such deal.

As of now we own 11 picks. One 1st round, 3 2nd rounders and 2 3rd rounders which is great! But we have reach our limit and we cant have more picks as of now.

But there is always a possibility even if it's small. Boley might be sign by another team. Yes we can try to match the offer given to him by another team but it might cost us more than what we would have originaly offer him for a long deal and we might lose him but gain another 1st round.

Now if that happens we can trade a 5th, 6th or 7th round for a young replacement for him. By doing so that will open up a spot and allow us to obtain that extra 1st sound.

Now what would you do if such scenario happened.

Would match the offer made to him and possibly pay onset to keep him or give him up and gain another 1st round? Giving us 7 first day selection and 4 in the top 45 or plus picks.

It has not been a secret that TD and our Head Coach are both strong belivers of building a franchise through the Draft and so far they committed to this according to recent actions the team has taken to accumulate draft picks and the recent article on AJC where they sat down and talked to Arthur Blank about the team and its future plans. In that article Blank confirms they are gonna build throug the draft like all the great legendary teams have done so in the past.

you gotta keep Boley.  He's a proven talent.  While another first round pick would be great, it's a gamble...and I'll take the sure bet in Boley.  He's proven his worth to this team and like you said, we've already reached our limit with 11 picks...and we do need a few vets to help all of these rookies grow into a TEAM.  I love that we are building a young team, and I hope that TD shows the vision that made the Pats a dominant force every year...but I also hope that he has the vision to hold onto Boley...and to give Boley a force like Dorsey to make the entire Defense better.

Boley will be resigned by the Falcons because I don't think other teams value him as a 1st round pick - especially being drafted in the 5th round originally. The front office was smart to put this tag on him because it keeps away other possible teams from trying to sign him. Now if no one offers to sign him - believe it or not according to Collective Bargaining Agreement:

Restricted Free Agent A player whose contract expires when he has three Accrued Seasons (but less than four) is in this category in a capped year. If his old club provides him with a sufficient Qualifying Offer on or before March 1, 2007, it retains the right to either match an offer the player may get from another club or to receive draft choice compensation from the club making the offer. The Qualifying Offer is based on the level of draft choices the old club wants to receive. For Example, the Qualifying Offer to receive a first and third rounder in 2006 was $2,096,600. The Restricted Free Agent only has about a week before the draft (April 28 - 29 in 2007) to generate an offer from another club. If he fails to get an offer, his exclusive rights revert to the old club unless the Qualifying Offer is withdrawn.

Boley is a Restricted Free Agent - if he receives no offers 1 week before the draft then his RFA status automatically reverts back to the Falcons and is no longer availeable for free agency signing from any other team in the NFL. That just means that we can keep him on the roster 1 more year w/o renewing his contract and then at the end of the season we can either renew it or let him go via free agency to another team. So there is no pressure from the Falcons to get Boley a new contract this season at all.

http://bizoffootball.com/blog/category/documents/cbas/

As of now we own 11 picks. One 1st round, 3 2nd rounders and 2 3rd rounders which is great! But we have reach our limit and we cant have more picks as of now.

we can have as many picks as we want there are no cap on number of picks

if we can get more ( there is a real chance of that) we will

falconsd56 (4/3/2008)

No there is a limit, but I think it's 13. It's to prevent teams from just trading down and getting like 20 6th and 7th round picks because you're very likely to hit gold somewhere in there.

formul8or (4/3/2008)
falconsd56 (4/3/2008)

No there is a limit, but I think it's 13. It's to prevent teams from just trading down and getting like 20 6th and 7th round picks because you're very likely to hit gold somewhere in there.

Where do you get the idea that there is a limit on draft picks?

I personnal think that they are just trying to see how the draft goes first.  After we see how much money is left and if there are any draft day trades to go ahead and sign boley up long term.  after the draft, if we don't make any deal for a big nme, big contract guy, we will lock him up before the season.

if we don't and a deal can't be reached by the end of this upcoming season, there is always the franchise tag that usually leads to a deal.

It's an interesting dilemma and let me tell you why.

Michael Boley is a pretty good linebacker. He's athletic, aggressive and isn't afraid to get hit.

Here is the flipside. There have been no reported interest, no offer sheets....nada....for this guy.

What does the rest of the league know that we don't? Maybe he's out of position at the sam. He is a little undersized to be going up against the strength of the formation.

It would be tempting to go after additional picks as part of an agreement to trade he and additional picks to garner others.

But no one is making offers...which is bad for him becuase that means his value is not that great. We can sign him to a much much much lower contract.

.:st.anger:. (4/3/2008)

Michael Boley is a pretty good linebacker. He's athletic, aggressive and isn't afraid to get hit.

Here is the flipside. There have been no reported interest, no offer sheets....nada....for this guy.

What does the rest of the league know that we don't? Maybe he's out of position at the sam. He is a little undersized to be going up against the strength of the formation.

It would be tempting to go after additional picks as part of an agreement to trade he and additional picks to garner others.

But no one is making offers...which is bad for him becuase that means his value is not that great. We can sign him to a much much much lower contract.

I think he has just been quietly playing very well, and the other teams, just like other fans, haven't taken notice of all of his skills.

Which I agree it great for contract reasons.

formul8or (4/3/2008)
.:st.anger:. (4/3/2008)

I think he has just been quietly playing very well, and the other teams, just like other fans, haven't taken notice of all of his skills.

Which I agree it great for contract reasons.

Absolutely...the Falcons played this one VERY smart. If they sign him to the 1-year tender, they pay him just under 3 million. If he wants a long term contract, we will get him for alot lower than 3 million per season.

I personnal think that they are just trying to see how the draft goes first. After we see how much money is left and if there are any draft day trades to go ahead and sign boley up long term. after the draft, if we don't make any deal for a big nme, big contract guy, we will lock him up before the season.

if we don't and a deal can't be reached by the end of this upcoming season, there is always the franchise tag that usually leads to a deal.

Agree - even if we don't sign him to a contract this year he'll still remain a Falcon - The CBA clearly states that if a RFA doesn't receive a contract offer from another team by 1 week prior to the draft then the tender the originating team becomes valid for the next coming season (Which is 110% of the previous year's contract or 2.01 million) and the tendered player is officially off the free agency board.

So really there is no rush to sign Boley to a long term deal right this second. We could in fact wait until after this upcoming season is over (though I doubt they will wait until then)

The front office was smart to put a #1 tag on him - sure Boley is good but no team would be willing to give up a #1 pick for a player originally drafted in the 5th round - 23rd in total tackles last year (2nd on his own team) - and 108th in total sacks in the NFL.

I agree he played great for the Falcons but as far as the rest the league is concerned he is average.

I agree that we have to keep Boley.  He is a stud and is only gonna get better.  We should make sure we keep him the same reason we should have kept Kerney.  It just makes no sense to draft and develop a player (both are high character players too) only to let them walk when it's time to pay them for doing their jobs.  And then you pay the same money your proven player was wanting to a roll of the dice draft pick fresh out of college.  Hopefully our new regime has this figured out. 

I completely agree with you guys..

Boley is a versatile athlete who can pretty much do it all at his position and with great speed. I believe he is a 3-4 DE/LB though. Other Coaches think he isn't strong enough and a little under size to play in the 4-3. But i think they are wrong and thats what makes him and an underrated player. Yes maybe if he played with a very solid strong front line and he played on a 3-4 system ( I prefer and like 4-3 better ) he would be a great outside pass rusher DE/LB and would truly shine due his ability rush, play coverage and speed. I like how he can drop back and play coverage and do a good job at it.

Do you guys remember how there where talks on his rookie year about the possibility of him playing Safety and be good at it. But it wasn't done because he didn't have a smooth back pedal and hip movement to be an impact right a way and it would take years to develop him at that position.

I completely agree with you guys..

Boley is a versatile athlete who can pretty much do it all at his position and with great speed. I believe he is a 3-4 DE/LB though. Other Coaches think he isn't strong enough and a little under size to play in the 4-3. But i think they are wrong and thats what makes him and an underrated player. Yes maybe if he played with a very solid strong front line and he played on a 3-4 system ( I prefer and like 4-3 better ) he would be a great outside pass rusher DE/LB and would truly shine due his ability rush, play coverage and speed. I like how he can drop back and play coverage and do a good job at it.

Do you guys remember how there where talks on his rookie year about the possibility of him playing Safety and be good at it. But it wasn't done because he didn't have a smooth back pedal and hip movement to be an impact right a way and it would take years to develop him at that position.