Debunking the SEC myth

David Ethan

Let's take a quick look at the top players (according to popular opinion, feel free to disagree) at each position and see where people come up with the absurd notion that the best players are in the SEC

Wide Receiver:

Andre Johnson, Miami

Randy Moss, Marshall

Chad Johnson, Oregon St

Larry Fitzgerald, Pitt

Anquan Boldin, Florida St

Steve Smith, Utah

Wes Welker, Texas Tech

Calvin Johnson, Georgia Tech

Roy Williams, Texas

Terrell Owens, Tennessee-Chattanooga

Santana Moss, Miami

Plaxico Burress, Marshall

Braylon Edwards, Michigan

as you can see, there arent many good receivers from the SEC

Running Back:

LaDanian Tomlinson, Texas Christian

Steven Jackson, Oregon St.

Adrian Peterson, Oklahoma

Marshawn Lynch, California

Joseph Addai, LSU

Maurice Jones-Drew, UCLA

Reggie Bush, USC

DeAngelo Williams, Memphis

Brian Westbrook, Villanova

Marion Barber, Minnesota

Lawrence Maroney, Minnesota

Edgerrin James, Miami

Larry Johnson, Penn St.

what...ONE SEC player?

Quarterback:

Tom Brady, Michigan

Michael Vick, Virginia Tech

Peyton Manning, Tennessee

Eli Manning, Ole Miss

Tony Romo, Eastern Illinois

Carson Palmer, USC

Donovan McNabb, Syracuse

Phillip Rivers, NC State

Matt Hasselbeck, Boston College

Brett Favre, Southern Miss

Derek Anderson, Oregon St.

Ben Roethlisberger, Miami, OH

Drew Brees, Purdue

Vince Young, Texas

Marc Bulger, West Virginia

ummmm......seeing a pattern yet?

Cornerback:

DeAngelo Hall, West Virginia

Nnamdi Asomugha, California

Antonio Cromartie, Florida St.

Asante Samuel, Central Florida

Marcus Trufant, Washington St

Champ Bailey, Georgia

Terrance Newman, Kansas St

Dre Bly, North Carolina

Nathan Vasher, Texas

Chris McAllister, Arizona

noticing a pattern yet???

I don't really feel like getting into lines, safeties, and LB's at this time, I'm tired....but do you see my point?  Where does this myth of "The SEC is the best conference" come from?  I'm not saying they're worse than other conferences, by any means....but where does the superiority complex come from??  It's plain to see that if you take the top players at each position in the NFL, very few come from the SEC.  So please, explain to me what makes this the best conference to draft from?  Why the inflated ego?

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the SEC is not worse than any other conference, but it's not better either.  No conference is really better than the other is what I'm trying to get across.  The Andre Woodson "but he played in the SEC" crap is the stuff I'm trying to dispel. 

Someone please present a rational argument as to why the SEC is the best conference with the best players, please

Ethanga62890 (4/3/2008)
Best players? Probably not best NFL talents, but better coaching by far yes. Woodson is garbage.

That's where I disagree...with the exception of Meyer at UF, all SEC teams run pretty much the exact same offenses....

That's why I'm always so impressed with teams like Boise St, Texas Tech, Hawaii, Missouri, Florida, etc. because they are original and win with schemes, not talent

VTCrunkler (4/3/2008)
eli and peyton make 2 from sec

those players may be good bc they didnt have to face weekly sec competition.

im an acc guy all the way, but its pretty much conventional wisdom that the sec is the best conference in cfb.

if you research the term "conventional wisdom", you will see that it is meant to be used as an insult, as in "you don't take the time to research things yourself, so you'll just agree with what your buddy has to say"

Statistics could be bent any way you want it. Put the players in each conference against a standardized opponent, then you can state it as fact. Since thats impossible, it's just opinion that the SEC is better. I'm more impressed that this bothers you so much that you post in TATF instead of the college forum...

VTCrunkler (4/3/2008)
eli and peyton make 2 from sec

those players may be good bc they didnt have to face weekly sec competition.

im an acc guy all the way, but its pretty much conventional wisdom that the sec is the best conference in cfb.

i'd say no better than pac 10 or big 10. its a toss up, they are typically the big 3 with the new acc right behind. it all just depends on how/where the recruiting goes.

stumpjumper (4/3/2008)
Statistics could be bent any way you want it. Put the players in each conference against a standardized opponent, then you can state it as fact. Since thats impossible, it's just opinion that the SEC is better. I'm more impressed that this bothers you so much that you post in TATF instead of the college forum...

there's more people in this forum, and since the draft is approaching and people in this forum want SEC players, I post it here......if it has ANYTHING to do with the falcons, it belongs in here, and I'm pretty sure there is a direct correlation b/w the Falcons and college football

ok, well one thing i can say for sure is that the sec is a more physical conference than most, namely the acc. the acc does produce a lot of individual talent, especially on D. my guess is that it is harder as a player to distinguish yourself in the sec because of the high level of talent across the board.

Peyton Manning, Shaun Alexander, Jamal Lewis, Eli Manning, Jay Cutler, Donte Stallworth, Willie Anderson, Rudi Johnson, Joseph Addai, Ronnie Brown, Cadaliac Williams, Takeo Spikes, Alex Brown, Jevon Kearse, Ian Scott, Lito Sheppard, Fred Taylor, Ben Troupe, Champ Bailey, Randy McMichael, Richard Seymour, Ben Watson, Marcus Stroud, Mike Peterson, Mike Pearson, Will Witherspoon, Deuce McAllister, Duce Staley, John Henderson, Patrick Willis, Shawn Andrews, Tony Ugoh, Karlos Dansby, Ken Hamlin, Tony Richardson, The Great Emitt Smith, Marcus McNeil, Rob Bironas, Marcus Washinton, Max Starks, Kevin Carter, Leonard Pope, Randal Godfrey, Max Jean-Giles, Dwayne Bowe, Corey Webster, Kevin Faulk, Randal Gay, Allen Faneca, Kevin Mawae, LaRon Landry, Ken Lucas, Dereck Burgess, Norwood, Justin Griffith, Porkchop Womack, Fred Smoot, John Abraham, Jason Witten, Travis Henry, Justin Harell, Jared Allen, Leonard Little....

Just a few good players off the top of my head... 

But Its not about them its about how much the SEC owns other conferences

Comparing College Conference play against who is successful in the NFL by what college they attended is like comparing cotton candy to simple syrup - sure they are both sugar products but they are two totally different things. Same thing goes for college football play vs NFL football play - same thing but they are two totally different things.

Since 1990 the SEC has won 6 National Titles -- Pac 10 - 3 -- Big 10 - 2 -- ACC - 3 -- Big East - 2 -- Big 12/Big 8 - 6 National Titles - So National Title-Wise the SEC & Big 12 are equal but only because you count the years the Big 8 & SWC merged if you counted them seperate then it would be Big 8 - 2 -- Big 12 - 4 -- SWC - 0

The SEC has 4 teams in the top 11 of All-Time Bowl Appearances:

Alabama 55 - Tennessee 47 - Georgia 41 - LSU 38

Big 10 (The conference that can't count with 11 teams) & Big 12 has 3:

Penn State 39 - Michigan 38 - Ohio St 38 -- Texas 47 - Nebraska 44 - Oklahoma 40

Pac 10 has only 1 team in the top 11 -- USC 46

Sec has 3 teams in the top 10 All Time Bowl Wins:

Alabama 31 - Tennessee 25 - Georgia 24

Big 10 (Shouldn't it be Big 11?) has 1 team -- Penn State 27

ACC has 2:

Georgia Tech 22 - Florida State 21

Big 12 has 3 teams:

Texas 24 - Nebraska 22 - Oklahoma 24

and Pac 10 has 1 team -- USC 30

Funny Ohio State & Michigan have been to more bowl games than Georgia Tech & Florida State and haven't won as many as those 2 schools - Hmmmmmm.

Now am I going to state the SEC is the better college football conference? Nah - all I have done is posted facts - and I'll let the facts speak for themselves.

Links provided below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_football_bowl_records

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/natio...ear_by_year.php

Bruce basically showed the evidence but didn't say it.  The reason the SEC is seen as the apex of college conferences year in and year out is because it showcases the best teams and the most depth.  I'm not even a college football fan, but this is instantly recognizable to anyone that watches a few games a year, even. 

While NFL stars might have something to say about individual talent in college conferences, it certainly doesn't have much to say about which is the best.  If it did the SWAC would be better recognized b/c it produced the greatest WR of all time, Jerry Rice.  You can't really judge conferences on individual talent.

David Ethan (4/3/2008)
Ethanga62890 (4/3/2008)
Best players? Probably not best NFL talents, but better coaching by far yes. Woodson is garbage.

That's where I disagree...with the exception of Meyer at UF, all SEC teams run pretty much the exact same offenses....

That's why I'm always so impressed with teams like Boise St, Texas Tech, Hawaii, Missouri, Florida, etc. because they are original and win with schemes, not talent

GaSlam (4/3/2008)
David Ethan (4/3/2008)
Ethanga62890 (4/3/2008)

bye the way Florida is SEC

Anyone who watches college football knows that the SEC is the best conference, hands down. Other conferences have good teams - particularly the Big 10, PAC 10, and ACC - but no one else is as strong across the board from top to bottom. It's not just about sending individual players to the NFL; it's about depth, having a strong team year-in and year-out, and WINNING GAMES.

Georgia, Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Tennessee, LSU ... they're all college football powerhouses. And every once in a while one of the other schools - such as Arkansas in recent years - comes on strong. Kentucky and South Carolina have potential, too.

You're telling me you could stack up the PAC 10 or Big 10 against the SEC in some kind of round robin tournament and expect them to be close to 50/50 in wins? Please. I bet every SEC team - with the exception of Mississippi State - could have beaten anyone in the PAC 10 last season except USC (and MAYBE Arizona State).

Just look at the past few titles games if you need any more proof. If anything, the SEC is only growing MORE dominant. Did you see the SPANKING that Florida handed Ohio State? Or the way LSU manhandled Ohio State again this season?

I'd like to note one final thing: I'm not a fan of any one NCAA conference over another, and if I had a favorite I-A team, it would probably be UVA. But it's not that Falcons fans are biased because they live in the south - and rational college football fan who's not a complete homer would admit that the SEC has been the most dominant college football conference for the past few decades, year in and year out.

P.S. And if you want to bring the draft into this, aren't Glenn Dorsey (LSU) and Darren McFaddenn (Arkansas) both LOCKS to go in the Top 5 picks? I think the SEC just does find in sending players into the NFL...

The SEC is a defensive league and they produce great running backs and defensive personnel.If you can run the ball and shut down the other team with your defense,you will win alot of games and championships...Most of your good receivers in the sec don't get to put up big numbers as receivers in other conferences because the defenses in the SEC are not going to let you go pass happy on them all the time.;)

It's b/c the talent of the entire team wins the games, not just one or two players.  The defenses in the SEC are just too fast.  The offenses are only average though. Knowshon Moreno and Tebow will be the only fun players to watch in the SEC this year on offense. It's about like why is everybody so high on Ohio State when the SEC dominates them every year.  Ohio State is horrible.....Nobody matches up well with the BETTER SEC teams.