Our dream scenario

Brian

I was looking at a mock draft and not even at the players taken but at the names of the teams in the Top 5. Literally staring for like 5 minutes - I think I spaced out. But then subconsciously - the GM at heart that I am - my mind just worked out two trades, and they are actually realistic - this never happens when I space out.

The Miami Dolphins have the 1st pick. Most indicators point to Chris Long as the obvious choice.

The St. Louis Rams have the 2nd pick. This one gets a little tricky. Some think they will take Jake Long, but Orlando Pace is coming back and while line remains a need, Long is not selling people that he is a Left Tackle. DT is not a need because of Clifton Ryan and Adam Carriker who are two DTs who were acquired in last years draft. The glaring weakness and need is DE. Slot Vernon Gholston in here.

Now at #3 there is Glenn Dorsey, Sedrick Ellis and Jake Long. We need a mauling tackle, but Long projects to be a RT in the NFL, not a left, and we have Todd at RT. We could just take Dorsey, or we could trade down for under point value. We call up Kansas City and tell them: Look. We want Jake Long. You want Jake Long. You need him more than we do. No matter what you are taking a tackle in the first round, don't you want the best one? --> We swap firsts with KC, and pickup their 2nd. Maybe we can them a midround pick too, but I don't know yet. Maybe we give them a 4th and they give us a 5th too. Now the Chiefs select Jake Long.

Oakland here scares us. We want Dorsey, they are liable to take Dorsey or McFadden. This is what helps our cause: 1) Dorsey left scouts with mixed feelings at his pro day - some impressed, some disappointed - hopefully Oakland was the latter. 2) The Raiders made Tommy Kelly the highest paid DT in all of football, and they acquired William Joseph from the world champ Giants, so DT looks pretty good for them right now. 3) Al Davis loves Darren McFadden. 4) The Cowboys love McFadden and want to trade up to get him. The Cowboys swap with the Raiders for both of the 1st rounders and a mid rounder and call it a day. The Cowboys would then select McFadden.

If the Raiders don't swap with the Cowboys, they could just as easily take McFadden, then we simply take Dorsey who is the guy that we would have taken at #3 anyway. If the Raiders take Dorsey, bad news for us, but not that bad, as we could do one of two things:

1) Take Sedrick Ellis who many consider to be just as good a prospect as Glenn Dorsey.

2) Trade down again, either with a team that wants Ryan before the Ravens, or McFadden before the Jets. If we traded with the Cowboys, then we would get two 1st round picks and lets say a 4th, so we would have 1,1,2,2,2,2,3,3,4,4,5,6,7,7, as our draft.

3) We could also trade with someone else if we want Ellis over Dorsey. Originally we could trade with the Ravens who could take either Matt Ryan or Jake Long and then take Ellis at #8, one spot before the Bengals, and listen as Chad starts crying all over again.

This would be the mock draft if we traded down with Kansas City and then with Dallas:

1-22) Chris Williams/Branden Albert, LT

1-28) Gosder Cherilus, RT

(here we could trade our 37 and 48 2nd round picks to the Chargers to get the QB we want, but I'll stay put)

2-34) Kentwan Balmer, DT (you are probably thinking he won't fall here, but I think come draft day he does)

2-35) Jerod Mayo, ILB

2-37) Dre Moore, DT

2-48) Antoine Cason/Charles Godfrey, CB

3-68) Martellus Bennet, TE

3-84) Josh Barret, S (We trade both of our 4th rounders to the Redskins who have 2 3rd rounders but no 4th rounders)

3-98*comp*) Adarius Bowman, WR

I would go into the later rounds, but this is enough to prove my point. It is a dream scenario. This all make sense....atleast to me it does :w00t:

"This would be the mock draft if we traded down with Kansas City and then with Dallas:

1-22) Chris Williams/Branden Albert, LT

1-28) Gosder Cherilus, RT

(here we could trade our 37 and 48 2nd round picks to the Chargers to get the QB we want, but I'll stay put)

2-34) Kentwan Balmer, DT (you are probably thinking he won't fall here, but I think come draft day he does)

2-35) Jerod Mayo, ILB

2-37) Dre Moore, DT

2-48) Antoine Cason/Charles Godfrey, CB

3-68) Martellus Bennet, TE

3-84) Josh Barret, S (We trade both of our 4th rounders to the Redskins who have 2 3rd rounders but no 4th rounders)

3-98*comp*) Adarius Bowman, WR"

I could live with this, I like Williams but I am in the minority that believes Jake Long can play LT in the League.  I can't wait for the Draft:D

Lame......We could all go on and on about what could happen, what we wish to happen...We all know the possibilitys, but u act as if its real easy to trade down..

You decide to trade down at 3 cause jake long is more of a RT, but then u expect KC to give up an extra 2nd rnder just to move up and get him...Doesnt make sense

Then this rediculous Idea that Dallas is gonna trade up and give up 1/2 of thier Day 1 picks so they can draft mcfadden and pay him a large ##### contract, when they already got Barber....Chris johnson would be the perfect fit for them with thier 2nd rnd pick instead

that would be pretty ideal but i dont think i can say it is ideal to go through the first 3 rounds without drafting a qb. QB is so important that putting it off will just hurt us in the end.

and the thing about kentwan balmer is possible, but i dont know if he will get past the chargers. if he does then i could see him falling to us.

here is my dream scenario, i have this happening in my mock draft i just finished:

#12- (F/ DEN)- Chris Williams, OT, Vanderbilt- <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

#26- (F/ JAX)- Brian Brohm, QB, <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Louisville- 

#36- (F/ NYJ)- Kentwan Balmer, DT, North Carolina- 

#37- Jerod Mayo, ILB, Tennessee- 

#42- (F/ DEN)- Pat Sims, DT, Auburn- 

#61- (F/ DAL)- Mike Pollak, C, Arizona State- 

#68- Darrell Robertson, DE, Georgia Tech- 

#92- (F/ DAL)- John Greco, OT, Toledo- 

#98- (COMP)- Dexter Jackson, WR, Appalachian State- 

#138- Breno Giacomini, OT, Louisville- 

#172- Keenan Burton, WR, Kentucky- 

#212- Justin Tryon, CB, ArizonaState- 

#232- Mike Gibson, OG, California-

it involves us trading down to #6 with the jets for their 2nd, and again with the broncos for their #12 and #42. and then we deal our #34 and 4th rounder for the jags #26 to get brohm. and then again we move down when we trade #48 to dallas for their #61 and #92, and the 3rd round comp pick is included. but that explains all the foreign selections.

this scenario gives us 5 picks in the top 42 and 9 in the top 98. that would be fantastic. with this we get our LT of the future, QB of the future, NT of the future, ILB of the future, stud UT of the future, backup and future RE behind Abe, the best C in this draft class in Pollak, our RT of the future in Greco and a stud return man in dexter jackson. and those are just the picks in the top 100. ;) the rest adds good depth. we would have more depth than wed know what to do with along the offensive and defensive lines, and that is exactly what i want. tons and tons of depth.

just thought id post my ideal situation too. ive literally been working on this for 2-3 hours straight because it was so interesting and fun to do. :laugh:

I think you should go back to dreamland, cause this ain't happening.

Too many trades, even when they make sense, trades are extremely hard to make happen in the NFL.

Dallas has said they don't want to give up both 1st round picks if they do move up.

No way does Williams make it out of the top 15 or top 20. Very, very slim chance Albert makes it out either. Too many teams needing a LT. Even the worst of the top 5 LT prospects, Ryan Clady should go top 20.

People really should get off the Long isn't a LT prospect kick. That's a bad generalization. Sure in a ZBS scheme he's a definite RT prospect, so is Chris Williams & Jeff Otah. With a team that doesn't use a ZBS, then he projects to play either side, whatever is needed. But in a power blocking scheme with a run first mentality, then Long is the best LT prospect, by far, in this draft. Just so happens that we are planning to be a running team and have a big, strong, physical OL. That makes J. Long an IDEAL LT prospect for a team like us. Avoid the media generalizations are wake up to realize that players can fit at multiple positions based on a team's scheme.

But, glad to see you're happy to have the QB duo of Harrington & Redman QB'ing this team for the next couple of years.