USC Pro Day, and Other News

USC Pro Day...Pat Kirwan of Sirius NFL Radio is reporting that USC DT Sedric Ellis ran a 5.05 forty yard dash and did 36 reps at 225 on the bench...OLB Keith Rivers ran a 4.51 forty time and had a 42" vertical jump...TE Fred Davis ran a 4.60 forty time and did 33 reps at 225 on the bench...OT Sam Baker ran a 5.40 forty time and did 29 reps at 225 on the bench...CB Terrell Thomas ran a 4.58 forty and had a 36" vertical jump...DE Lawrence Jackson didn't run or participate in the bench press.

04/02...Dan Connor...Penn State LB Dan Connor told Sirius NFL Radio that he has upcoming visits scheduled with the Miami Dolphins and Atlanta Falcons.

bgarcia28 (4/2/2008)
I was listening to that broadcast as well. I couldn't here the Connor interview in its entirety. The one thing that really struck me was that Sam Baker is now being viewed, by many scouts, as a NFL OG. Wow, talk about a major shift in thinking!

Yeah that is odd. Usually a guy that is a little weak in the arms doesn't move inside. The inside is usually reserved for big and powerful run blockers, which Baker is not. I'd be interested to hear the reasoning behind that thinking.

Ellis improves numbers at USC Pro Day

By Frank Tadych | NFL.com

LOS ANGELES -- The annual USC Pro Day workout is well-known as a showcase for prospective NFL talent. On Wednesday, it again held up to its reputation.

More from USC Pro Day:

»Video: Caroll proud of his players

»Video: Recap of USC's Pro Day

»Video: Ellis discusses his effort

»Photos: Best shots from the day

» Other Pro day updates

Sedrick Ellis headlined a strong group of 25 pro prospects who worked out on the University of Southern California campus, displaying to NFL coaches and scouts why he's a likely top 10 selection in the 2008 NFL Draft.

Ellis showed up at the pro day workout weighing in at 297 pounds -- 11 lighter than he weighed at the combine. He felt he was too heavy in Indianapolis and wasn't satisfied with his performance, but helped himself by posting better numbers across the board at his pro day.

"I'm very proud of my day today, I felt like I did very well," said Ellis. "All my numbers went up. Nothing stayed the same or went down. I felt like I came out and showed great character. I'm just happy the way things have gone."

Ellis participated in all of the drills that were open to the media, with the exception of two agility drills. He ran 5.02 and 5.05 in the 40-yard dash, shaving more than 0.2 off his time from the combine. He said he improved by two repetitions in the bench press, reaching 36 reps of 225-pounds, and increased his vertical to about 30-inches.

All that's left is the draft.

"You know just as well as I do that [the draft] is kind of a crap shoot," Ellis said. "Who might trade up, who might trade down, who might not like you for whatever reason, who might like you. Right now it's a waiting process. I wish it was tomorrow."

Ellis said he has visits set up with three NFL teams, including Cincinnati and New Orleans, but isn't going to conduct workouts again for teams. One squad that could hold particular interest for Ellis is Oakland, which has the fourth overall pick.

"That would make me feel pretty good," Ellis said about landing with the Raiders. "They have the fourth pick, they're right there in Northern California, a hop, skip and a jump from home. They're a team I feel like I could help."

Representatives for 30 of the 32 NFL teams were in attendance. Washington and Denver were the only teams not represented.

Along with Ellis, several of the other Trojans who are projected in the top three rounds of the draft had solid workouts. Quarterback John David Booty, who also worked out at the combine, didn't participate in testing but threw during the individual drills.

Booty felt the biggest question he faced from NFL scouts was his ability to the throw deep ball.

"I feel really good," said Booty, who threw approximately 80 passes for scouts. "I was really pleased with the deep balls today. That's something that I really wanted to come out and show. & I really showed what I was capable of doing on the deep ball. If I answered any questions, they were there."

Linebacker Keith Rivers, projected by many as a first-round pick, worked out for scouts for the first time after missing the combine with an ankle injury. He posted impressive numbers, reaching 42-inches in the vertical jump and running 4.58 in the 40.

"I thought Booty threw the football extremely well, which he needed to, especially the deep ball, which he did," said NFL draft expert Mike Mayock. "Sedrick Ellis looked great & I think he really just solidified his case for being a top 10 pick. The story of the day was probably Keith Rivers."

xrage (4/2/2008)
Any word on how Ellis looked during positional drills?
(9:00 AM: Update on USC pro day... Just a quick update on the Southern California pro day yesterday. DT Sedrick Ellis, the Trojans top prospect for the 2008 draft, also had a very solid workout to likely lock up at top 10 selection later this month. Ellis weighed in at 297 pounds, 10 pounds or so lighter than at the combine, and it showed as he cut his 40 time from a disappointing 5.25 in Indianapolis to the 5.05 range yesterday. Ellis also reportedly posted an impressive 36 reps pressing 225 pounds.

bgarcia28 (4/2/2008)
I was listening to that broadcast as well.  I couldn't here the Connor interview in its entirety.  The one thing that really struck me was that Sam Baker is now being viewed, by many scouts, as a NFL OG.  Wow, talk about a major shift in thinking!

This is no shock ,  Rachal would be a much better OT than Baker. AAMOF Rachal is a natural born NFL OL just like Ellis is at DT .  If our first two picks were these 2 USC guys , I'd be hyped .

grendel (4/3/2008)
Draftnut57 (4/3/2008)
xrage (4/2/2008)
Any word on how Ellis looked during positional drills?
(9:00 AM: Update on USC pro day... Just a quick update on the Southern California pro day yesterday. DT Sedrick Ellis, the Trojans top prospect for the 2008 draft, also had a very solid workout to likely lock up at top 10 selection later this month. Ellis weighed in at 297 pounds, 10 pounds or so lighter than at the combine, and it showed as he cut his 40 time from a disappointing 5.25 in Indianapolis to the 5.05 range yesterday. Ellis also reportedly posted an impressive 36 reps pressing 225 pounds.

What's up with the weight fluctuations? Didn't he play the season around 295-300? I know he was at 308 at the Senior Bowl...

He has been tring to lose weight so he could improve his 40 which he did by 2 tenths of a second.

Scott24Falcs (4/3/2008)
FWIW Charlie Casserly (former GM of the Texans) says the Chilo Rachal has "maturity issues."  Just something for all to chew on. 

Yes ,I just recently found that out , but you talk about a gifted player!  If he was sqeeky clean I would bet money he would be drafted no latter than 25th pick . But BC of that he may slide to the bottom of Rd 2. He is an awsome specimen. Naturally powerful. He could be as good as he wants to be , He has all the tools.