We don't need to reach for a DT or OT early

Brookhaven

Guys, I know we need a defensive tackle and a left tackle, but we don't have to use an early round pick to get a good one. There are plenty of good linemen later in the draft. Guys like Athyba Rubin and Carlton Powell at DT, and King Dunlap and Tyler Polumbus at LT will be available in the 3rd, 4th, even 5th rounds. These guys have tons of upside and had great workouts.  

Can't you guys see, we don't need to risk using our early picks on a DT or LT that might not work out? We can get a  gem at DT & LT by waiting.

Now do the people that have been advocating we wait till late in the draft to find a QB (yes, I'm talking about you) and pin our QB hopes on a "project with upside" like Josh Johnson realize just how stupid you sound?

Brookhaven (4/2/2008)
Guys, I know we need a defensive tackle and a left tackle, but we don't have to use an early round pick to get a good one. There are plenty of good linemen later in the draft. Guys like Athyba Rubin and Carlton Powell at DT, and King Dunlap and Tyler Polumbus at LT will be available in the 3rd, 4th, even 5th rounds. These guys have tons of upside and had great workouts.  

Can't you guys see, we don't need to risk using our early picks on a DT or LT that might not work out? We can get a  gem at DT & LT by waiting

Now do the people that have been advocating we wait till late in the draft to find a QB (yes, I'm talking about you) and pin our QB hopes on a "project with upside" like Josh Johnson realize just how stupid you sound?

Bump!

So we would be picking up a project QB with a QB any later than the 2nd round....but the same wouldnt go for a DT or OL?

I'm confused by that lopgic.

We need help at all 3 positions...we should fill them with the BPA.

Matt Ryan at #3 is not BPA...not by a long shot.

Brookhaven (4/2/2008)
Guys, I know we need a defensive tackle and a left tackle, but we don't have touse an early round pick to get a good one. There are plenty of good linemen later in the draft. Guys like Athyba Rubin and Carlton Powell at DT, andKing Dunlap and Tyler Polumbus at LT will be available in the 3rd, 4th, even 5th rounds. These guys have tons of upside and had great workouts.

Can't you guys see, we don't need to risk using our early picks on a DT or LT that might not work out? We canget a gem at DT & LTby waiting.

Now do the people that have been advocating we wait till late in the draft to finda QB (yes, I'm talking about you) and pin our QB hopes ona"project with upside" like Josh Johnson realize just how stupid you sound?

friggin' kids. posting just to antagonize someone. here's some food for thought, brain child: if we draft a couple mid round OL and they dont pan out, how much good will it do to have a high picked QB?

Oh by the way, since u haven't figured it out, many scouts and fans agree there isnt a franchise QB in this draft. you can't say that about OL or DT, so your feebleminded argument is beyond moronic.

redbird56 (4/2/2008)
Brookhaven (4/2/2008)
Guys, I know we need a defensive tackle and a left tackle, but we don't have touse an early round pick to get a good one. There are plenty of good linemen later in the draft. Guys like Athyba Rubin and Carlton Powell at DT, andKing Dunlap and Tyler Polumbus at LT will be available in the 3rd, 4th, even 5th rounds. These guys have tons of upside and had great workouts.

Can't you guys see, we don't need to risk using our early picks on a DT or LT that might not work out? We canget a gem at DT & LTby waiting.

Now do the people that have been advocating we wait till late in the draft to finda QB (yes, I'm talking about you) and pin our QB hopes ona"project with upside" like Josh Johnson realize just how stupid you sound?

friggin' kids. posting just to antagonize someone. here's some food for thought, brain child: if we draft a couple mid round OL and they dont pan out, how much good will it do to have a high picked QB?

Oh by the way, since u haven't figured it out, many scouts and fans agree there isnt a franchise QB in this draft. you can't say that about OL or DT, so your feebleminded argument is beyond moronic.

Ouch, thats just a bit harsh.

Brookhaven (4/2/2008)

Translation:

I drool on my keyboard.

I'm gonna stick with my original hopes for the Falcons this year...

GLENN DORSEY...he's the type of player that makes everyone around him better.  He constantly forces the opponent to focus their attention on him, which might give last year's Draft "bust" a chance to get his first pro sack.  He WILL keep people off of the linebackers which will make Brooking and Boley complete animals.  Dorseys ability to rush the passer will make our shoddy D-Backs look like pro bowlers.  He can play through pain...which our former DT couldn't seem to do.  A REACH??  got to be kidding...Oh and he also has something this team desperately needs...he knows what it's like to be a champion.  So to talk about passing on this kind of talent if he's still there would be a HUGE mistake....and it looks like a good possibility to me that Brohm (who most thought would be our first round pick just a few short months ago) will be available for our second pick.  He would have definitely been an early first rounder last year and we might get him in the second...I CAN ONLY HOPE.

I agree we need to pick A QB in the first 4 picks.But Ryan is not going to be the second rising of Montana,Namath,Marino or Manning or Brady.

He might be great but we need a stable line for a young QB to start.

The new Falcons will be physical,Tough line with power running and play action with a deep threat.

Not this high flying Manning and Indy.

We have a few QB's to get this done now.Shockley may or may not be a good QB.So drafting any of them second or later would be a good move for us.

We also believe it or not have to look at Mr.Vick for 2009.

FO will consider.Shape,Restructure of his contract,Trade value to his worth?

Even if we drafted the next Brady the FO will want all they can get from Vick,if we are in need of a now QB they may get what they can out of him and wash him out when the rookie develops.

Lots to consider other then drafting Matt Ryan who also said he did not want to play for Atlanta.

Brookhaven (4/2/2008)

and who do you suggest we pick?

This is pretty funny.

It looks like only 2 people read the whole post.  For the record, Brookhaven, I am not that excited about QB in this draft.  I think we ought to get the best one who falls to us in the second.  Hopefully that will be Brohm, but that may be overly optimistic.

Basically I agree with you, but I suspect we'd have somewhat different drafts if we were the ones doing the picking.

rugger8 (4/2/2008)
This is pretty funny.

It looks like only 2 people read the whole post. For the record, Brookhaven, I am not that excited about QB in this draft. I think we ought to get the best one who falls to us in the second. Hopefully that will be Brohm, but that may be overly optimistic.

Basically I agree with you, but I suspect we'd have somewhat different drafts if we were the ones doing the picking.

It's amazing how many people don't get it.

Of course we need to draft DT & LT early. Even the dumbest board member understands that. I was trying to make the point waiting till later in the draft and taking a project QB (as so many here seem to advocate) is just as dumb as waiting till late in the draft and taking a project DT or LT.