Receiver forceout rule eliminated by owners!

NFL | Pass completion proposal approved

Wed, 2 Apr 2008 09:11:42 -0700

John Clayton, of ESPN.com, reports the proposal to eliminate force-out decisions on pass completions near the sidelines was approved Wednesday, April 2. With the rule change, officials will only have to decide whether a receiver landed in bounds or not.

--------

I think this is a good rule change. I never liked the forceout rule to begin with, and am glad to see it gone, although I think it will make the WR's job even more difficult...

BlacksburgHokie (4/2/2008)
NFL | Pass completion proposal approved

Wed, 2 Apr 2008 09:11:42 -0700

John Clayton, of ESPN.com, reports the proposal to eliminate force-out decisions on pass completions near the sidelines was approved Wednesday, April 2. With the rule change, officials will only have to decide whether a receiver landed in bounds or not.

--------

I think this is a good rule change. I never liked the forceout rule to begin with, and am glad to see it gone, although I think it will make the WR's job even more difficult...

I think it will make the WR's job even more difficult.  That is the best part about the new rule.  It evens out what they have done to the DB's the past couple of years.

I don't like it.  In any other situation the defense has to make a play on the ball to cause the incompletion.  Now all they have to do is give the receiver a little nudge and it is incomplete even though the receiver made a spectacular catch.  It reduces the playing field or at least the options available.  Before the receivers simply had to be aware of the sidelines.  Now they actually have to play off the sidelines if they perceive the defender is near by.  I could see a team coming from behind for the win 10 sec on the clock, hits the receiver on the sidelines to stop the clock but Ohhh he got a love tap from the defender.

What's to stop a DB from catching the WR and carrying them out of bounds when they go up for a ball?  I know it sounds a lot easier than it is to do, but it's still very possible.  Especially on a jumpball.  Wait for the receiver to go up, grab them around the waist, and carry them a couple of yards before dropping them out of bounds.  I could see it happening, and I don't think a defense should be able to do that.  I do like the fact that there are no judgement calls.

P.S.  I wish they would correct the rule that took away Roddy White's TD catch against Tampa.  He caught it falling down, both feet were down, and the ground popped it out.  To me, that's a catch.

pzummo (4/2/2008)
What's to stop a DB from catching the WR and carrying them out of bounds when they go up for a ball? I know it sounds a lot easier than it is to do, but it's still very possible. Especially on a jumpball. Wait for the receiver to go up, grab them around the waist, and carry them a couple of yards before dropping them out of bounds. I could see it happening, and I don't think a defense should be able to do that. I do like the fact that there are no judgement calls.

P.S. I wish they would correct the rule that took away Roddy White's TD catch against Tampa. He caught it falling down, both feet were down, and the ground popped it out. To me, that's a catch.

The WR would have to catch the ball first or it's interference, but I agree. Especially linebackers could probably pull that off to an extent, it wouldn't take much of a lift to make their feet miss in bounds.

formul8or (4/2/2008)
pzummo (4/2/2008)
What's to stop a DB from catching the WR and carrying them out of bounds when they go up for a ball? I know it sounds a lot easier than it is to do, but it's still very possible. Especially on a jumpball. Wait for the receiver to go up, grab them around the waist, and carry them a couple of yards before dropping them out of bounds. I could see it happening, and I don't think a defense should be able to do that. I do like the fact that there are no judgement calls.

P.S. I wish they would correct the rule that took away Roddy White's TD catch against Tampa. He caught it falling down, both feet were down, and the ground popped it out. To me, that's a catch.

The WR would have to catch the ball first or it's interference, but I agree. Especially linebackers could probably pull that off to an extent, it wouldn't take much of a lift to make their feet miss in bounds.

It seems to me that if a DB or whoever went to that extent that an unnecessary roughness penalty would be called.

What's to stop a DB from catching the WR and carrying them out of bounds when they go up for a ball?

The wording of the rule still prohibits that:

Unless literally carried out by a defensive player, receivers must land with two feet inbounds for a completion.

link: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7980294...n-impact-on-NFL

I love the rule change, if the defender makes a play to keep the receiver from getting his feet down in bounds, that's football, why should the WR be given anything, he's got to make the catch which includes getting his feet down.

Anything with the wording "would have", such as "the WR would have come down in bounds" is talking about something that didn't actually happen and puts the refs into a much more mistake prone situation. Mike Pereira, head of NFL officiating said that half of the 16 force outs last season were ruled correctly, which of course means that half were not and 50% success rate on any calls for officials is horrible and must be addressed, glad the NFL got this one right.

mark hunter (4/2/2008)
will help the game move on without going to instant replays as often...imo

This rule doesn't effect instant replays. You couldn't review a forceout call. In fact this rule change will cause more instant replays because now they can review any questionable catch.

I think it is a good call. Some of you act like every throw that is made on the sideline will now be incomplete. This is not so. This new rule change is exactly how it is in the NCAA. They have plenty of spectacular sideline grabs.

The NFL is always making rules to help out the offense. Example: If a defensive linemen moves causing the offensive lineman to move, it is a penalty on the defense. This is stupid. The OL knows the snap count and has a huge advantage already, there should be no reason to jump offsides

Jason Maddox (4/2/2008)
I think it is a good call. Some of you act like every throw that is made on the sideline will now be incomplete. This is not so. This new rule change is exactly how it is in the NCAA. They have plenty of spectacular sideline grabs.

The NFL is always making rules to help out the offense. Example: If a defensive linemen moves causing the offensive lineman to move, it is a penalty on the defense. This is stupid. The OL knows the snap count and has a huge advantage already, there should be no reason to jump offsides

Except in College a completion from anywhere on the field for a 1st down will stop the clock.  In the NFL only a TD or going out of bounds instead of being shoved out will stop the clock.  This play is far too common in close games under two minutes.  Most of the plays are close to the sidelines but now all the defender has to do is give him a shove and not even worry about the ball.  Kind of cheap in my opinion.

I see your point, but I don't think it's gonna be as easy as you think it will be for a defender to force the receiver out. The DB will anticipate a sideline route, but he won't know if it will be a 5 yard or 15 yard route. They will not be able to time it perfectly more times than not. Just my opinion.

We'll see once the season begins i guess.