The Case for Jake Long

g-dawg

Jake Long versus Glen Dorsey

I go "back-n-forth" on these two players and which one the Falcons should draft if given the opportunity to draft either. I don't think Falcons will have the choice of "either" because you can bank on one of these players being gone (80% chance-my guess) and there is probably at least a 30% change(again my guess!) that both will be gone.

Bottom-line, I will be happy on draft day if Falcons end up with either of these players - having said that, here are some of my thoughts:

Glen Dorsey is probably the more talented/dominant player

Jake Long will probably have a longer career(product of position played/overall health)

Jake Long is at a position that is harder to fill

Both are solid from character/work ethic standpoint

Jake Long is in better shape/better fitness

Glen Dorsey is pure undertackle

Jake Long would be dominant RT and above average LT

Jake Long could have some problems w/ edge/speed rushers

Glen Dorsey is more likely to have injury issues/miss time(i know he played through in college)

I understand the desire for Glen Dorsey and, as you can see below I have Falcons selecting him #3 overall (i also think Jake is more likely to go in top 2 although Rams could take Dorsey).

I think Glen Dorsey is the "shoot the moon" pick for greatness with some risk and I think Jake Long is the "solid" lower risk pick.

I will be happy with either but I would grab Jake. The offensive tackles will have been picked through by the time the Falcons select again if we pass on Jake.  Other OT's that figure to be gone:  Ryan Clady, Chris Williams, Jeff Otah, Gosder Cherilus, Branden Albert(OG/OT). I watched all the "path to the draft" interviews w/ local beatwriters for each team and about eight teams were looking at offensive linemen with their first pick per speculation of beatwriters - it was funny too because 4 of them wanted/named Chris Williams specifically. Some of these teams late might even draft Baker/Nicks early.

my point is this: Falcons need two quality offensive linemen and you cannot get them in free agency because the good ones get re-signed by their own teams.  Their won't be two good offensive lineman from list above by the time we get to #34/#37 - besides one of those picks will be for a QB - maybe we could get Sam Baker or maybe Carl Nicks but that will be it other than lower ranked players later.

If we take Jake Long at #3,  then left tackle is "done" for 10 years....we could then grab one more offensive tackle in 2nd round and the offensive line is basically "fixed".  We could still grab a Pat Sims or Dre' Moore in 2nd round - and these guys are bigger/healthier than Dorsey - although admittedly not as dominant.

I just think the "smarter" pick is probably Jake Long....although it won't be the more "popular" pick, i concede.

Looking at tape on Jake Long, he's a Right Tackle, not a left one.  His size is wonderful but his footwork and hand movement is NOTHING like Joe Thomas.  On a scale from 1 to 10, I'd give Joe Thomas a 8.5 coming out and Jake Long like a 5.5.

However, Jake Long will be a road grader and would be a tremendous road grader for the run game.  It doesn't make him any less but you have to consider that this team has a greater need at LT than at RT.  To me, that dimishes his value as the #3 pick.  I'd rather have Glenn Dorsey.  Then I would trade back up into the first rd and get Brandon Albert who can play either Tackle or Guard and he has good footwork.

1. In today's NFL don't assume a player will stay with a team 10+ years, it just rarely happens anymore.

2. There is only one Dorsey calibur player and one not far behind(Ellis), other than that the DT's left aren't even close to talent.

3. There are quite a few solid OT's that aren't far behind Long for the LT position.

4. There are only 31 first round picks so don't assume all the good OT's will get taken in the first.

what i don't get is this:

Jake Long:

1 sack allowed his senior season

some ridiculously low number of sacks allowed for career

no penalties in 2008

3 penalties(or some ridiculously low number) for his career

I know Gholston got him for the one sack his senior season and I know the Big 10 is not the SEC......but where does everybody get off criticising this guy saying he cannot pass block speed rushers?  the one sack by Gholston? I don't get it......

am i missing something here?  please enlighten me - bring Facts....

Sun Tzu 7 (4/2/2008)
Here's one argument... sheer numbers.

Have we done ANYTHING about the LT spot yet?

At least for DT we signed some people.  They may be scrubs but at least we signed them.

Have we done anything for the LT spot?

No, we have not!

I believe Jake Long would be the bigger "Prize", in that he will RAISE the standard and level of play on the ENTIRE  O line. His presence will INSPIRE the rest of the O line players.............noticeably !!

On the D  line, we already have some decent quality..........NONE on the O  line.

The truth of the matter is this is going to come down to money i believe, if long is not a Left tackle you cant draft him, period.  You cant afford to be paying rt's number #3 money.  Is he good, yes, is he a beast, yes.  But if someone came out and said this guy is a RT all the way no way does he go #3, period.  people are hoping he will be a great LT.  Because if you dont get a T in the second your going to have to look at it again next year.  Dorsey is a area of need.  It compliments your best player on defense and helps out your other high pick from last year.  If dorsey comes in here and is dominant, it will be like getting 2 for 1, cause i willing to bet it will make jamal so much better.  TD is about value, and wether or not you believe The Tackle prospects will all go in the first its not going to happen.  There is better value in getting dorsey then a tackle in the second as opposed to getting long and then a DT in the second.

red2play (4/2/2008)
Looking at tape on Jake Long, he's a Right Tackle, not a left one.  His size is wonderful but his footwork and hand movement is NOTHING like Joe Thomas.  On a scale from 1 to 10, I'd give Joe Thomas a 8.5 coming out and Jake Long like a 5.5.

However, Jake Long will be a road grader and would be a tremendous road grader for the run game.  It doesn't make him any less but you have to consider that this team has a greater need at LT than at RT.  To me, that dimishes his value as the #3 pick.  I'd rather have Glenn Dorsey.  Then I would trade back up into the first rd and get Brandon Albert who can play either Tackle or Guard and he has good footwork.

I tend to agree here. Dorsey is an immediate impact player and can make a tremendous difference in our overall D.  I would rather wait and take a guy like Cherilus, Oher, Clady, Boone, Richardson, Greco, etc.  Those are quality guys who are all ranked in the top 100 college players.

Jake Long is a 5.5? He allowed only 2 sacks and 2 penalties in his entire 4 year career at Michigan, over 40 games. That is dominant, he's more like a 9.5. He's just as adept in the pass game as the run, as the 2 sacks allowed shows. One knock is that speed kills him, but there are plenty of fast dlineman in the big ten that were shutdown by Long. LONG for PREZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If we keep the #3, my draft board would go like this:

Jake Long.  The no nonsense LT that will allow us to run the ball when it counts the most.

Sedrick Ellis.  The penetrating DT that will make the rest of the defense look much better.

Glenn Dorsey.  The more talented DT with healty issues.  I'll take Ellis for the security, but Dorsey is a fine consolation prize.

Vernon Gholston.  I know he is number four and we have the third pick.  Howver, you always have to be ready for a last minute injury report.  Gholston is a physical standout that can alter offenses.

Here is the caveat:  If Dimitroff can find good OT's and DT's in later rounds, then I would suggest we draft the top QB on our draft board.  I suspect that the top guy is Matt Ryan. I don't watch the film and I don't fly around the country looking for talent, so I really don't know what is out there.  Trey Lewis looked very good before his injury....so did Renardo Foster.  If Dimitroff can find players like them in later rounds, then by all means, draft Matt Ryan. 

People always have concerns over injury, they just think "oh a O-line man don't get injured" but sorry to burst your bubble but anybody, including Jake Long will be injured sometimes in their career. Jake Long reminds me way to much like Robert Gallery, so hyped up, supposed to be the best player in the 2004 draft, look at what happen to him, hes at the brink of being labeled a bust.