Incredible interest in spring football - UGA.

SacFalcFan

Incredible interest in spring football

By Chip Towers | Tuesday, April 1, 2008, 11:16 AM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Greetings from the blogosphere!

My sincerest apologies for the prolonged absence. First we had some technical problems, then I was off work for an extended period after Georgia s basketball season wrapped up.

I m still trying to get the technical issues worked out but, in the meantime, I ve got an alternate method for posting them so we should be good to go for awhile. And that s a good thing because there s a lot to get to.

So without further adieu - or is that ado? - let s get to it:

It s amazing to me how much the whole spring football thing has grown over the years. The interest in what s going on as the Bulldogs, and just about all teams for that matter, practice six months before the season starts is incredible.

On that note, I found it interesting that the G-Day Game is going to be broadcast live on the Bulldog Radio Network on Saturday. In fact, at one point Georgia legend Larry Munson was going to provide play-by-play of the glorified scrimmage. But Munson s people decided this past week to pull out. Exactly why is unclear.

I called Larry at home on Monday to talk to him about doing the game and he informed me that he no longer was.

I think that was on the agenda but I think they changed their minds, Munson said. I ve still got some health issues. I really don t know what to say. We discussed it a couple of weeks back and I was going to do it and then something changed.

It wasn t UGA that pulled the plug, however. I talked to Damon Evans later on Monday and he said, as always, Larry can do whatever he wants.

I ll try to talk to WSB s Neil Williamson this week and see if I can find out more. In the meantime, the plan is for it to be Scott Howard and Eric Zeier as it will be on road games in the foreseeable future.

The game is also being televised on CSS.

Speaking of the spring game, I sat down with offensive coordinator Mike Bobo on Monday to get the lowdown on how much we might see quarterback Matthew Stafford and tailback Knowshon Moreno. The basic answer is not much.

Bobo said Moreno will start and play in the first half but he doubted if he d get more than maybe five carries. It s a fine line, Bobo said. He needs work like everybody else but we have to be smart.

You re likely to see more of Stafford. Bobo was emphatic that the Bulldogs heralded signalcaller needs as much live-action work as he can get as they work to improve his accuracy and the quarterbacks will be protected from contact in the game. At the same time, however, Georgia s working hard to develop depth so you ll likely see equal amounts of Joe Cox and Logan Gray, each of whom have been working with the No. 1 offensive unit this week.

Similarly, star wideout Mohamed Massaquoi may be extremely limited because of a neck sprain and defensive tackle Jeffrey Owens will be out with an injured shoulder. So my advice is, if you want to see any of your Saturday heroes, better get there real early.

And to get in real early they re strongly suggesting buying your tickets online by clicking here so you don t have to wait in long lines. A pretty good crowd is expected.

Lastly, I didn t get a chance to share my basketball experiences with you guys toward the end of the season. In a nutshell, that storm at the Georgia Dome was intense and what Georgia did thereafter was one of the greatest athletic accomplishments I ve ever witnessed. It had all the dramatic elements: a coach whose seat was white hot, a spectacular weather event and four wins in three days by a group of guys that, by all indications, had no business winning a championship but did so because everybody said they couldn t.

In a word, unforgettable.

I could go on forever but I need to save some things for the coming days and weeks. So please forgive us for the troubles with the blog and be sure to come back as I m going to try to provide some pearls in this space every day.

C-ya.