Why we shouldnt draft Matt Ryan.

B^rooklyn

Will Atlanta draft Matt Ryan? No. In the wake of Chad Henne, Joe Flacco and several other quarterbacks looking solid in the Senior Bowl and Combine, Atlanta could be targeting one of them in the second round. And if someone like Brian Brohm slips - which is a possibility - the Falcons can trade some of its second-round picks to trade with a team like the Chargers, who have just one selection in the first four rounds.

Furthermore, I don't consider Ryan as good a prospect as Jake Long or Glenn Dorsey. Offensive tackle is a position of need for the Falcons. Why would Atlanta take a slightly lesser talent in that case?

And finally, we've seen teams eschew quarterbacks recently. The Browns drafted Joe Thomas instead of Brady Quinn. The Dolphins also passed on Quinn in favor of Ted Ginn. In prior years, Ben Roethlisberger and Aaron Rodgers both slipped. I don't think Ryan goes here. And if he does, imagine how much he'll struggle without any talent around him. Think David Carr in Houston, Tim Couch in Cleveland, etc. If you have no pieces to put around a signal caller, I don't think you can draft one unless it's someone with Peyton Manning-like talent. Call me crazy, but Ryan is not Peyton Manning.

**21*Brooklyn Skull*21** (4/1/2008)
Will Atlanta draft Matt Ryan? No. In the wake of Chad Henne, Joe Flacco and several other quarterbacks looking solid in the Senior Bowl and Combine, Atlanta could be targeting one of them in the second round. And if someone like Brian Brohm slips - which is a possibility - the Falcons can trade some of its second-round picks to trade with a team like the Chargers, who have just one selection in the first four rounds.

Furthermore, I don't consider Ryan as good a prospect as Jake Long or Glenn Dorsey. Offensive tackle is a position of need for the Falcons. Why would Atlanta take a slightly lesser talent in that case?

And finally, we've seen teams eschew quarterbacks recently. The Browns drafted Joe Thomas instead of Brady Quinn. The Dolphins also passed on Quinn in favor of Ted Ginn. In prior years, Ben Roethlisberger and Aaron Rodgers both slipped. I don't think Ryan goes here. And if he does, imagine how much he'll struggle without any talent around him. Think David Carr in Houston, Tim Couch in Cleveland, etc. If you have no pieces to put around a signal caller, I don't think you can draft one unless it's someone with Peyton Manning-like talent. Call me crazy, but Ryan is not Peyton Manning.

Way to maximize your cleches!

We COULD draft him... just not in the first round.

That has more to do with the amount of cap space, (real and dead money) we CURRENTLY have dedicated to the QB spot.

Thanks to Vick's contract and other "shrewd" QB moves we did this last season... the QB cap hit for next season is going up even if we don't sign a QB for 2 years.

To recap some of our other moves you may have forgotten.  We signed Chris Redman,  Joey Harrington, and Byron Leftwhich last year all to multi year deals...  We THEN cut Leftwhich and Harrington at the end of the season... and then re-signed Harrginton. 

That's all small potatoes. We probably still have $5 million / year hitting for Vick's contract. Harrington is around $1 million, and Redman is like $2.5 million. All together that's less than we're paying Abe or Brooking, I think.

Really,  remember how we were trying to get that 7-8 million back from Vick so we could get cap relief.  That was for NEXT year.

Since Vick is not on the "active" roster I can't find what his actual 2007 hit was but here's what it has been:

2001 - $2.5 million

2002 - $2.55 million

2003 - a little over $5 million

2004 & 2005 - almost $8 million

2006 - $13,074,837 million

I'm not sure what his cap numbers will be but the way the hit has jumped every year is a little scary especially since most NFL contracts are designed so the cap hit increases every year.

What is also scary is that it lists the 2007 payroll as $83,845,371 and the 2006 as $105,072,221. 

We didn't $21,226,850 worth of players going into last season.

http://content.usatoday.com/sports/footbal...lts.aspx?team=2

Yeah, but his base salary doesn't hit while he's suspended, only the pro-rated portion of his bonus money.

Yeah but either way his cap hit is significant enough where we can't just cut him... otherwise we already would have.... right? 

I just remember hearing... repeatedly... how Vick's contract was going to be and still is a problem.

I keep hearing how you can't "blow" a pick in the top 10 or it will set your franchise back for years to come...  My criteria is that the player is on your team for 7-8 years and starts. 

Vick - 2001 - #1 overall; Hall - 2004 #8 overall; and Anderson - 2006 - #8 overall

I think the Falcons are looking for a impact player that might not turn the team around but puts butts in the seats(ie generate more money). This would not come from a QB in this draft. An OL'man might be good choice but in order to be impact he would need good support which we dont have right now. DL'men dont need as much help and if he's good the impact is more noticable.

So I say its Dorsey,Ellis or Gholston

I think they will try to fix and supplement the OL after june cuts. We only need an average QB to win if the D dominates(see Giants 07)

The Drafted QB might be Dixon, Johnson,or Mitchell