Can we afford all of these day 1 picks?

With a 3rd overall, can we still afford to pay all of these picks?

I've been looking around, but can't find average contracts for each pick in the 1st. But to me, it would make sense to trade away the 3rd and get a mid 1st and 2nd this year and 2nd next year, if that's cheaper.

On the other hand, I probably shouldn't even be asking this since we cut so many cap devastating players like Crump, Dunn, and Hall.

brvslugger10 (4/1/2008)
The cap doesn't count for the draft. It is an entirely different thing. And yes, I hope we trade down and get Brohm or Chris Williams.

This dude is right. Every team has enough cap space to sign their draft picks no matter what.

brvslugger10 (4/1/2008)
The cap doesn't count for the draft. It is an entirely different thing.  And yes, I hope we trade down and get Brohm or Chris Williams.

The "Rookie Pool" is essentially a cap within the cap, where the NFL designates a club-specific value for each team, based on where the players are chosen. The rookie pool is a summation of each value for each selection that the team utilized during the two-day NFL draft. This allocation is determined by a veiled NFL formula, and all negotiated contracts must fall under this threshold.

Teams are immediately charged the Rookie Minimum Salary ($230,000) the day the players are drafted, and the rookies will stay at this amount until the player signs, the team?s rights are relinquished through waivers, or until the Tuesday following the tenth week of the regular season if the player remains unsigned.

Teams are immediately charged the Rookie Minimum Salary ($230,000) the day the players are drafted, and the rookies will stay at this amount until the player signs, the team?s rights are relinquished through waivers, or until the Tuesday following the tenth week of the regular season if the player remains unsigned.

Just a minor correction:

The minimum salary structure for 2008 is as follows:

Years Salary

Rookies and first-year players $295,000

Second-year players $370,000

Third-year $445,000

Fourth-year $520,000

Fifth- through seventh-year $605,000

Eighth- through tenth-year $730,000

Eleventh-year and longer $830,000

Also, there is a provision that veterans with 4 or more years who are at the minimum for their service are only charged at $445,000 against the cap. This is to make it easier for vets to stay in the league.