Need help with purchasing a system

ATLBrave12 (4/1/2008)
I want to lean towards the PS3 because of HD DVDs dieing, but I like a lot of stuff on the 360 (namely xbox live). Is PS3 going to get an online service like XBL anytime soon? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

This is not the forum to ask that in sadly.  What you will mostly get is a lot of fan boys...

I own both (360 and PS3) and like them each for different reasons.  Every game that is multi-platform I get for the 360, basically because I like live.  The 360 seems to be the better pure gaming system this generation.  The PS3 is primarily a Blu Ray player for me, although some of the features on it ar pretty cool and have really helped me get more out of my entertainment center.  I am also really looking forward to some of the exclusives that the PS3 has, like Metal Gear and Gran Turismo. 

Basically, will you use it mostly for games or will the multimedia stuff be equally important.  I think that is how you have to look at it.

Just my two cents...

uscdirtybird summed it up best. But I want to add an item.

Do you have a HDTV? If so do you have a 1080p 1080i or 720p?

The reason I ask is because the PS3 was made for 1080p so you will get the most out of your TV if you purchase that one. The 360 looks good on all but is not made for 1080p.:)

doooooh7 (4/1/2008)
uscdirtybird summed it up best. But I want to add an item.

Do you have a HDTV? If so do you have a 1080p 1080i or 720p?

The reason I ask is because the PS3 was made for 1080p so you will get the most out of your TV if you purchase that one. The 360 looks good on all but is not made for 1080p.:)

I have a brand new HDTV (can't tell you which one of those 3 it is though).

The two above posters are right, if you are considering a used system.  As far as I have heard, the 360's made now have had their DVD drives upgraded (quality not technology) and have have resolved most of the system killing issues.  That was as of a few months ago.  The older ones still have an unacceptably high failure rate (including mine once), but the newer production runs have apparantly nixed the majority of those issues.

Well I'm sure you'll hear different but I suggest playing the PS3 online network and then trying Xbox live. Come to your own opinion. And now as for mine personally.........

I think hands down by far and away Xbox live is the better online experience. I'm sure you'll hear rants about how PSN is free and "Home" gayness will be uber cool. But I personally just don't buy into it. It's taken Xbox Live I think 5 years plus just to get the online functionality as smooth as Xbox has it down now. I just don't see PSN getting as good for free anytime soon. By all means though if you can't afford 4 dollars and some change a month for Xbox Live, then PSN and the PS3 is the way to go.

I personally see it this way you want old time fun and cool kids games go with the Wii.

You want Blue-ray, flower power RPGS, and butt load of hype...PS3

If you want system unique online play and you consider yourself a hardcore gamer in that respect get a 360 and Xbox live.

Again aside from my first paragraph this is MY personal opinion. So try out both if you can to make your own decision. Just my 2 cents.;)

womfalcs3 (4/1/2008)
PS3 is the most superior with the BEST 2008 lineup.

Xbox Live? PSN is free with no lag and all the features will be exceeded and MORE by fall of this year. Right now it's a very respectable service anyway.

Read about the features in my signature.

Haha, I saw that coming.

Here is the bottom line:

Wii= Good if you arent a hardcore gamer and want a bunch of party/group games to play.

Between the 360 and PS3, it just depends on which exclusive titles you like on each and if you would rather have bluray or if you want to pay for xbox live (which is far superior to PSN).

womfalcs3 (4/1/2008)

Xbox Live? PSN is free with no lag and all the features will be exceeded and MORE by fall of this year. Right now it's a very respectable service anyway.

This is the particular fan boy I was warning you about. 

HE HAS THE BLUE RAY LOGO AS AN AVATAR!!!!!!!!!!

Every other opinion in this thread is valid.

But Womfalcs, I will give you credit with not doing the regular cut and paste job you normally do in these threads.  Clown...

lax32 (4/1/2008)
womfalcs3 (4/1/2008)

Haha, I saw that coming.

Here is the bottom line:

Wii= Good if you arent a hardcore gamer and want a bunch of party/group games to play.

Between the 360 and PS3, it just depends on which exclusive titles you like on each and if you would rather have bluray or if you want to pay for xbox live (which is far superior to PSN).

Personally, let's look at what I own and will own in the future (disc games only):

Currently:

- Uncharted

- Resistance

- WarHawk

- Sonic the Hedgehog

- Dynasty Warriors 6

- Marvel: Ultimate Alliance

Future:

- MGS4

- Resistance 2

- GT5

- GTA IV

- SOCOM 4

- Tiger Woods (Hopefully 09 is good, if not, wait another year hoping.)

So you can see why I love the PS3. MGS, GT, SOCOM, and GTA IV are the reason I love Sony. (Yes, GTA IV on PlayStation is unrivaled by any console. I hate GTA on Xbox, and I loved the Xbox more so than the PS2. The controls were weird. Plus I won't have to pay to play GTA online.)

I have a PS3 and a 360 and I'd suggest the PS3 because it's the better total box. The games are roughly equal (despite what some people claim). If you're like me and only play online with your personal (aka real life) friends then the only difference between Live and PSN is saving 8 bucks a month. The PS3 doesn't have sketchy hardware either, nor does it sound like a vacuum cleaner.

There are games coming out this year that I want on each console but on games alone neither console really stands out. If you're only going to get one console you should probably think hard about more than just gaming.

I'd throw out the Wii for now, just because it is **** to find a new one.

Take into consideration if you play on-line over a wireless connection. The PS3 can read it, while you have to buy an add on for the 360.

If you want to watch high def movies, then The PS3 fits perfectly. There are rumors that the 360 will come with a blue-ray player later this year, but thats just a rumor.

What kind of games do you like. If you and your friends love playing mini-games and arcade adventures, then wait out for the Wii. It provides the most fun for having multiple people playing on the same system. But also realize that you won't be able to play any Grand Theft Auto, Gran Turismo, Metal Gear Solid, Madden (real version anyway) Halo, God of War, or Gears of War.

It doesn't seem like much, but paying for Live does add up and quick. Right now it argueably has an edge over PSN, but who knows what will happen when Home comes to the PS3.

As of right now, you could say that the 360 owns the PS3 in games. PS3 has 15 games that rate an 85 or higher on Metacritic, compared to the 360's 34. Also once again, if you look at what the 360 had in it's first year of service, it actually has less good games then the PS3.

More so now than ever though, most games are (as long as they are not made by Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft) and will become availible on all consoles. Simply that is how they make the most money.

So I gave you a whole bunch of facts, but here is what it comes down to.

If you are any of the following then get the Wii:

12 years old or younger

Love playing cheesy mini-games with friends

Very casual gamer, that doesn't mind the occasional Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

If you are any of the following then get the 360:

Fanboy

Hate Sony

Love Halo, Gears of War, etc that will stay exclusive to the 360.

Like the past lineup of games that Micro has to offer.

Is cheaper in the short run, but more expensive in the long run.

Same thing for the PS3:

Love Blue-Ray Movies.

Fanboy

Free service, and come with a system that is ready to roll out of the box.

Most powerful, therefore technically has most potential to create kick... games in the future

Won't crap out on you.

womfalcs3 (4/1/2008)

PSN No problems huh? Wolmacs what makes you think that your experience is the flag-ship protocol??? What a fan boy! Not that Xbox live never has any problems but come on man.:w00t:

FarofWar, go pay 300 dollars over your system's lifetime for P2P.

I can find videos of problems with Xbox Live too:

Xbox Live Making Halo 3 Suck

Xbox Live Lag (Gears has a lot of lag and host advantage problems)

Now SIT DOWN. I can find videos of everything, even if it's not the truth. There are dozens of Xbox Live problems videos on YouTube.

womfalcs3 (4/1/2008)

Xbox Live? PSN is free with no lag

This is the difference between you and me. You claimed something totally false as shown. Your experience does not reflect everyone else's as you will try to imply.

If you would READ what I posted you would see that I never claimed Xbox Live has no flaws. Leave the child like pot shots for some one who cares, all your doing is whoring yourself. ;)

:w00t::w00t::w00t:

personally, I really get a LOT of use out of my ps3. Games are great, love FREE online gaming, HD!!!, have a external hard drive with 300+ movies hooked up to it, WiFi, wireless streaming from my mac...its constantly on and in use.  Also, some of the games with the SIXAXIS are fun like bowling (not comparing to Wii), but its a cool feature.

I'd say the ps3.

FaRt0fwAr (4/2/2008)
womfalcs3 (4/1/2008)

Xbox Live? PSN is free with no lag

This is the difference between you and me. You claimed something totally false as shown. Your experience does not reflect everyone else'sas you will try to imply.

If you would READ what I posted you would see that I never claimed Xbox Live has no flaws. Leave the child like pot shots for some one who cares, all your doing is whoring yourself. ;)

:w00t::w00t::w00t:

I have never experienced lag problems on PS3 but I've never really experienced lag problems on Live either. That being said if I'm on either for more than half an hour a week it's an oddity.

Just a note though, your example was R6:Vegas 2. Did it occur to you that many video games have server stress related issues right after launch? As a person that actually develops client-server model software I know from professional experience that the stress testing you do in development/QA can't really come close to what you'll encounter in a live environment.

Now if Warhawk or Resistance or CoD4 was currently having those issues you'd be on to something.

FaRt0fwAr (4/1/2008)
womfalcs3 (4/1/2008)

PSN No problems huh? Wolmacs what makes you think that your experience is the flag-ship protocol??? What a fan boy! Not that Xbox live never has any problems but come on man.:w00t:

very poor argument Fartofwar. There are no lag or connectivity problems with CoD4, NBA 2k8, Warhawk, or Resistance on the PS3. That seems like a problem with R6V2.