Pro football talk has the .........................

TrueFalcon Fan (4/1/2008)
the Falcons taking Vernon Gholston at #3. This would be a terrible mistake.

If J. Long and Dorsey are gone ... and there is about a 60% chance both will be ...

Then our only choice is either:

Ellis - Position of need (but he will be a reach at three).

Chris Long - Best Player Available (a slight steal)

Vernon Gholston - Best Potential Player and most versatile (a slight reach)

Gholston was mentioned ... Not Ellis is a recent interview with Dimitroff.

If Gholston can show versatility to play MLB in a 4-3 and provide an insurance policy at DE ... He could be our best choice if Dorsey and J. Long are gone.

I have a feeling Chris Long will get a long look because of his personality type in the worst case scenario of J. Long and Dorsey being gone.

yea,yea,yea....& the espn fan poll has us taking mcfadden....fact is noone knows how it will go down just yet......we have to hope for the best no matter what happens

you shouldnt be mad if we take gohlston if long and dorsey are gone, he is more versitle to our D than Chris would be, gohlston has more exp standing up than chris does and our LB core could be Boley Brooking and Gohlston or we could put gohlston on the line and move jamaal into the middle and take dan connor to play LB, with our picks pilling up we have sooooo many options if our man isnt there at 3 we can trade back into the first to grab other players if we wanted.

I would rather go for Chris Long. With his exceptional athletic ability, he could play the Will on 1st and 2nd down and then replace Jam2 at end for 3rd down...benefits our pass rush on passing downs and gives us a bit time athlete at the weak-side backer.

twyntefour (4/1/2008)
you shouldnt be mad if we take gohlston if long and dorsey are gone, he is more versitle to our D than Chris would be, gohlston has more exp standing up than chris does and our LB core could be Boley Brooking and Gohlston or we could put gohlston on the line and move jamaal into the middle and take dan connor to play LB, with our picks pilling up we have sooooo many options if our man isnt there at 3 we can trade back into the first to grab other players if we wanted.

If we take Gholston and draft Trevor Laws (DT/DE) from Notre Dame in the second round, we'll have two players that make a HUGE difference for our team.  Gholston can play/rotate LB and DE and Laws at DT and DE.  Think of the looks we can give teams then!

There is no choice..It is Gholston or maybe LT Clady.

I do not believe that The Falcons will trade-down for Clady, or that any other team would help them--They are already "the envy of the draft".

The Chiefs would probably select QB Ryan over Clady at #5, if this senario happens. Maybe, The Patriots, or Jets trade-up for Gholston. It could be more resaonable to select Clady at #6 or #7.

Still, I believe that Dimitroff would select Gholston at #3, and finds a way to move Abraham to a contender..

Gholston would probably be the best defensive player or player on The Falcons board, and they've signed several DTs --just-in-case they do not end-up with Dorsey.

.:st.anger:. (4/1/2008)

I would rather go for Chris Long. With his exceptional athletic ability, he could play the Will on 1st and 2nd down and then replace Jam2 at end for 3rd down...benefits our pass rush on passing downs and gives us a bit time athlete at the weak-side backer.

Noobs

You don't take a situational player at 3.

The_ ATL (4/1/2008)
"Noobs

You don't take a situational player at 3."

**** straight, you reach for them at #8.

That's why McKay isn't the GM anymore too.  Obvious choices like Patrick Willis and Okoye slipped past us.  Teams that draft solely at need without regard of the BPA always stink it up.

I CAN ASSURE YOU.............VERNON GHOLSTON WOULD NOT BE A MISTAKE ON ANYONE'S TEAM.

HE IS A PURE THOROUGHBRED............AN INSTANT IMPACT PLAYER  !!!!!!!!!!!

PERIOD  !!!!!!

grendel (4/1/2008)
The_ ATL (4/1/2008)
"Noobs

You don't take a situational player at 3."

**** straight, you reach for them at #8.

Stupid post of the day award winner!

Just because I dont share your blind homeristic view doesnt mean I'm stupid.

I bet you still think the world is flat huh?

If dorsey and long are goner I wouldnt mind gholston. Its better than taking chris long IMO.

I kinda hope we trade down before we take gholston tho. Gholston would be a great asset to our defense even tho I think 3 is a little high for him.

magnus23 (4/1/2008)

If J. Long and Dorsey are gone ... and there is about a 60% chance both will be ...

If Gholston can show versatility to play MLB in a 4-3 and provide an insurance policy at DE ... He could be our best choice if Dorsey and J. Long are gone.

I have a feeling Chris Long will get a long look because of his personality type in the worst case scenario of J. Long and Dorsey being gone.

How do we know Chris Long won't be the next Justin Smith?  I think he will be solid, but I'm not sold he will be anywhere near the player his dad was.

grendel (4/1/2008)
magnus23 (4/1/2008)

There is no evidence to support the idea that Gholston could be a MLB. He's a one-dimensional pass rusher, and probably the best pure pass rusher, which is a valuable thing in itself.

Go and watch his game tape half the snaps were standing up in the middle and on the outside the other half he was putting his hand in the dirt blowing past any tackle that was put in front of him.  Face it the DT and OT is very deep quality players are able to be drafted in the late 2nd and early 3rd.