Wrestling and Nascar...

WTA

I liked wrestling when I was a kid. Been a NASCAR fan since around 1984. In fact it's passed football for me in terms of being my favorite sport. No referee's and it's something new each week since they change the playing field weekly. And the live experience is the best as well.

NCFalconfan (4/1/2008)
and it's something new each week since they change the playing field weekly.

I admittedly don't follow Nascar at all and don't know a thing about it, and I was also gonna stay outta this thread and just look at the responses, but this brings up a question... Is the difference between playing at Lambeau in January and playing in the Georgia Dome actually comparable to the difference between racing at Daytona and Talladega? It seems to me, with a few exceptions such as Bristol and Watkins Glen, that a track is a track, but there are numerous differences among the different football arenas...

Ton80Kid (4/1/2008)
To some degree, both...but moreso with Nascar. Although, neither will ever overtake football, poker, strippers, and more football...;)

Hey, completely off-topic, but when are you moving up here?

WTA (4/1/2008)
NCFalconfan (4/1/2008)
and it's something new each week since they change the playing field weekly.

I admittedly don't follow Nascar at all and don't know a thing about it, and I was also gonna stay outta this thread and just look at the responses, but this brings up a question... Is the difference between playing at Lambeau in January and playing in the Georgia Dome actually comparable to the difference between racing at Daytona and Talladega? It seems to me, with a few exceptions such as Bristol and Watkins Glen, that a track is a track, but there are numerous differences among the different football arenas...

I think the difference in playing fields is more in NASCAR. Even though tracks like Atlanta and say Charlotte look a lot alike, they are totally different tracks since the banking degrees in the corners in Atlanta are much higher and allow for some VERY high speeds. Some tracks are concrete, some are asphalt which effects tire wear. Some are flat in the corners, some are banked. A previously rained on track washes the rubber off a track making it lose grip. The sun coming out or going behind the clouds can greatly effect the way a car handles. So yeah, there are a ton of factors that go into how these guys drive week in and week out.

NCFalconfan (4/1/2008)

I think the difference in playing fields is more in NASCAR. Even though tracks like Atlanta and say Charlotte look a lot alike, they are totally different tracks since the banking degrees in the corners in Atlanta are much higher and allow for some VERY high speeds. Some tracks are concrete, some are asphalt which effects tire wear. Some are flat in the corners, some are banked. A previously rained on track washes the rubber off a track making it lose grip. The sun coming out or going behind the clouds can greatly effect the way a car handles. So yeah, there are a ton of factors that go into how these guys drive week in and week out.

Yeah, I see your point...

I just never have been able to get into nascar even though I've actually tried a little bit... A little while ago I dated a girl for a few months who loved it so I learned a little from her... It just all goes back to the fact that I can't sit and watch cars go around in circles for 4 hours straight... I'll watch the final 10 laps of a race if I happen to catch it at that point, and I've come to the conclusion that I don't like Tony Stewart or Jeff Gordon, but other than that I really have no interest... I'd like to catch a live race at some point - I've heard it's unbelievable - and that's probably what it'll take for me to become a fan...

Maybe someday... :D

It helps to have a favorite driver as it makes it exciting to see them making their way through the field. And going to a race much more amplifies the NASCAR experience X100. The sights and the sounds...I'll always remember the first time I heard a full field of 43 850 HP cars at full throttle come around at Charlotte many years ago....first you hear it bouncing off the wall on the backstretch...then when it comes by...let me just say its an awesome experience. I was hooked for life.:cool: And hearing a tire explode is something you don't forget as well. I'd say try it at least once. I always tell people to take in a Saturday race (Nationwide Series-NASCAR's minor league racing) first, as they are shorter and have less traffic issues. If you like what you see/hear, you'll like the Sunday races even more.

Turn the volume up!

WTA (4/1/2008)
Ton80Kid (4/1/2008)
To some degree, both...but moreso with Nascar. Although, neither will ever overtake football, poker, strippers, and more football...;)

Hey, completely off-topic, but when are you moving up here?

My last day of work here is at the end of April, and then we're headed up there to sign the paperwork on the new place...get all the utilities squared away, set up bank accounts, etc...then back here to pack, close on the sale of this house, and then haul keister to there...so, I'd say somewhere around the middle of May...;)

Demetrius Dew (4/1/2008)
I would have to say NASCAR although I would not classify myself as a die hard fan. I find NASCAR to be real intriguing to me.

NCFalconfan, is it true that there cars don't have a clutch and they just shift on the fly and our they shifting by RPM or just pushing it into gear?

I think they all have clutches, but some guy's driving style is to not use it. The tranny's are built strong enough to not use it.

NCFalconfan (4/1/2008)
Demetrius Dew (4/1/2008)
I would have to say NASCAR although I would not classify myself as a die hard fan. I find NASCAR to be real intriguing to me.

NCFalconfan, is it true that there cars don't have a clutch and they just shift on the fly and our they shifting by RPM or just pushing it into gear?

I think they all have clutches, but some guy's driving style is to not use it. The tranny's are built strong enough to not use it.

This assessment is correct.  The clutch is used in the pits - you can hear the driver rev his engine right before the jack is dropped.  The only way they can do this without driving off of the jack is to have clutch engaged.  When going through the gears on the track, the racing transmission allows the driver to shift without using the clutch.  Most drivers use two feet on the track - the left foot isusedto brake, the right is used for the throttle.

Westling is nothing but a soap opera with a buch of barely clothed, oiled up men rubbing all over each other.  Watch MMA if you want to see fighting.

Nascar is the peon of motorsports and they are all nothing but pansies for corporations.  They are no better than politicians in that respect.  Watch Indy if you want to see racing. 

I used to love wrestling as a kid, but no so much so as an adult, especially after Vince McMahon showed his indifference after the Benoit murder-suicide.

I've recently developed an interest in NASCAR just last year. I like the science and strategy of it.