NFL Draft Day Blunders: 2001 - 2007

In 2001, the Falcons went out of their way to pick Michael Vick. They traded their #5 and #32 picks in order to move up to #1. The Chargers ended up with Ladainian Tomlinson and Drew Brees. Atlanta got their poster boy, who led their team to the playoffs and one NFC championship, but is now serving time for dog-fighting. Vick never materialized as a passer, but managed a 1,000-yard rushing season, a record for quarterbacks. Tomlinson remains the best running back in the NFL, while Brees enjoyed success in San Diego before heading to New Orleans.

In 2002, the Texans made their first pick as an expansion franchise. They felt pressured to get that big-time quarterback to lead their team for the next 10 years. In a questionable QB draft class, they chose David Carr over Joey Harrington. Carr never materialized, being sacked at an alarming rate until his departure in 2007. Matt Schaub was finally found as a replacement, which took the Texans 5 years to overcome Carr's impact on the team. Julius Peppers, Roy Williams, Ed Reed and Dwight Freeney were all available, even if Houston traded down in 2002.

In 2003, the Lions began their misfortune with 1st round wide receivers with #2 overall pick Charles Rogers. Pro Bowler Andre Johnson was picked #3 by Houston and Anquan Boldin was available at #54. Rogers went on to be injured more than he was on the field in Detroit. He amassed 440 yards and 4 TDs in 15 games over 3 seasons.

In 2004, the Raiders took questionable tackle Robert Gallery at #2. The rest of the top-10 succeeded with solid picks like Larry Fitzgerald, Philip Rivers, Sean Taylor, Roy Williams and Deangelo Hall. It's no wonder the Raiders have struggled since Rich Gannon led the team to the Super Bowl. At #22 in the same draft, the Bills took J.P. Losman, who Buffalo is still waiting to develop as a quarterback. Stud running back Steven Jackson and hard-hitting safety Bob Sanders were still on the board.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

In 2005, Detroit took another questionable wide receiver in the 1st round at #10. Mike Williams had 450 yards and 2 TDs in two unproductive seasons before heading off to Oakland. If taking Williams alone wasn't bad enough, Detroit passed on DeMarcus Ware, Shawn Merriman and Derrick Johnson on the defensive side of the ball.

In 2006, Houston was still set on David Carr at quarterback. They surprised everyone by taking Mario Williams over Reggie Bush, but even passing on Bush would have been fine if they would have traded down to #3. There they could have drafted Vince Young, Matt Leinart or Jay Cutler - all young QBs showing great promise in their first few seasons.

I just pray our new GM doesn't add us to this list. :sick: I remember when they run that program of all the draft day blunders, like Ryan leaf. etc........ Why I DO NOT WANT US TO GET RYAN. :P

I don't remember anyone questioning the pick of Gallery before or during the 2004 draft. It's only questionable in hindsight. The writer of this article is yet another draft observer who likes to believe he knows how every player will turn out ahead of time.

nativefalcon (3/31/2008)

In 2001, the Falcons went out of their way to pick Michael Vick. They traded their #5 and #32 picks in order to move up to #1. The Chargers ended up with Ladainian Tomlinson and Drew Brees. Atlanta got their poster boy, who led their team to the playoffs and one NFC championship, but is now serving time for dog-fighting. Vick never materialized as a passer, but managed a 1,000-yard rushing season, a record for quarterbacks. Tomlinson remains the best running back in the NFL, while Brees enjoyed success in San Diego before heading to New Orleans.

In 2002, the Texans made their first pick as an expansion franchise. They felt pressured to get that big-time quarterback to lead their team for the next 10 years. In a questionable QB draft class, they chose David Carr over Joey Harrington. Carr never materialized, being sacked at an alarming rate until his departure in 2007. Matt Schaub was finally found as a replacement, which took the Texans 5 years to overcome Carr's impact on the team. Julius Peppers, Roy Williams, Ed Reed and Dwight Freeney were all available, even if Houston traded down in 2002.

In 2003, the Lions began their misfortune with 1st round wide receivers with #2 overall pick Charles Rogers. Pro Bowler Andre Johnson was picked #3 by Houston and Anquan Boldin was available at #54. Rogers went on to be injured more than he was on the field in Detroit. He amassed 440 yards and 4 TDs in 15 games over 3 seasons.

In 2004, the Raiders took questionable tackle Robert Gallery at #2. The rest of the top-10 succeeded with solid picks like Larry Fitzgerald, Philip Rivers, Sean Taylor, Roy Williams and Deangelo Hall. It's no wonder the Raiders have struggled since Rich Gannon led the team to the Super Bowl. At #22 in the same draft, the Bills took J.P. Losman, who Buffalo is still waiting to develop as a quarterback. Stud running back Steven Jackson and hard-hitting safety Bob Sanders were still on the board.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

In 2005, Detroit took another questionable wide receiver in the 1st round at #10. Mike Williams had 450 yards and 2 TDs in two unproductive seasons before heading off to Oakland. If taking Williams alone wasn't bad enough, Detroit passed on DeMarcus Ware, Shawn Merriman and Derrick Johnson on the defensive side of the ball.

In 2006, Houston was still set on David Carr at quarterback. They surprised everyone by taking Mario Williams over Reggie Bush, but even passing on Bush would have been fine if they would have traded down to #3. There they could have drafted Vince Young, Matt Leinart or Jay Cutler - all young QBs showing great promise in their first few seasons.

I just pray our new GM doesn't add us to this list. :sick: I remember when they run that program of all the draft day blunders, like Ryan leaf. etc........ Why I DO NOT WANT US TO GET RYAN. :P

As of right now, between MArio and YOung, I'd pick MArio. . .

Yeah, Gallery was supposed to be so talented he could start immediately on any team. I read some scouts say he had NO negatives. And how is the Texans taking Williams a mistake? He came up with 13 or 14 sacks his 2nd year, and they said they should have taken Bush or Young? Ridiculous.

And all articles looking back are ridiculous, I would like the author to point out the soon to be busts from this year, because you never know how someone will turn out.

halsey (3/31/2008)
Oh, and the Mario Williams pick wasn't a blunder at all. That writer didn't know what he was talking about.

I think he was saying that instead of Williams, they blew the opportunity to take another QB. I'd rather have Williams that any QB in that draft class.

brendyne (3/31/2008)
The writer of the article thinks Vince Young is working out as a passer?

Honestly Vince Young is terrible, He has the same hype as matt ryan, He can have a terrible game with terrible stats, and they will say how its the intangables, and his leadership that you dont see....Honestly the Titans are a better team with Kerry Collins at QB than Young...He's holding them back right now

Titans got a good D, that is why they win so many games, not cause Vince Young "JUST WINS"

You get me??