Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WillWork4Tackles

I finally gave in and re-registered....

10 posts in this topic

Most of you will remember me as a bit of a draft guru and a Falcons junkie like the rest of you. Some of you may remember me as a Vick fan, but I was a fan of this team long before him and will be for a long time although he is surely gone. I just had to write this to let you all know that yes, unfortunately for some, I am still alive and kicking. My draft following has slipped a lot this year, mainly because nobody is paying me to do it, and I have had a chance to just sit back and kind of take it all in from the background this year.

I like the direction our franchise is going as a whole. I feel the most important person in a franchise's continual success is a big time owner. I feel that Arthur Blank will eventually be known as a blessing for Atlanta sports. Arthur is continually pulling together the pieces and trying to make them fit together. I really am pumped to see it honestly after watching the Smiths stumble over themselves for years.

Anyhow, back to the draft. I feel like this year's class is a bit thin in all honesty. Most of these "great linemen" will only be solid veterans at best. There are maybe 3 to 5 Pro Bowlers in that group and it's the blind leading the blind as usual. The skill positions are very weak in this class outside of RB and we just signed one. I think TD is a terrific addition and having he and McKay bouncing ideas off each other could provide tremendous results.

In the end, I would love nothing more than to hear one of the ESPN draft analysts say the Falcons just had one of the best drafts I have ever seen. We have enough picks to really make a huge impact by making the kind of decisions that TD & McKay are paid to make. I thought we had a solid draft last year. I hope we continue down the long road to success. I believe in Arthur Blank. If he owned the Braves they still would be the division champs. That is the difference. That is what I want. That is what Arthur wants. It should be what we all want.

Wow, all I can say is that not only am I shocked and appalled, but I am completely disgusted by this draft. I put my trust in this executive team and we end up with a 2nd-3rd round talent QB with the 3rd overall pick, passing on GLENN DORSEY AND DARREN MCFADDEN!!!! I have seen a lot of things in my day, but watching us trade up into the late first to reach for someone with a lot of question marks a la Michael Jenkins again, was just the icing on the cake. So, you're telling me this is why we let go of Rich McKay as GM? I'm sorry guys, but I'm done with the Falcons. I've been wearing the hats and jerseys since I was a little kid and following the team closely for years now, but this was just a travesty.

I'm not telling you to quit on the Falcons, and people will say I was just a Vick hugger, but what I actually was is a Kenn/Van Note/Bartkowski/Case hugger who appreciated what Vick did for this team. We had a great chance in this draft to really solidify our lines and pick up a quality QB late in the 2nd, but instead we wasted this entire draft. I do not like a single pick we made in this draft. Not one. It was pathetic.

To those of you who stay on with the Falcons I commend you. I just cannot take it anymore. This team could hire Vince Lombardi in his prime and still ruin it. I'm done man, I can't even write anymore I am just so disgusted. It's been a fun ride but it's time for me to move on.

Mr Blank I commend you for trying but maybe you should have just made the picks yourself.

yup, because this OG and DT class was just brimming with top flight talent. TD and Smith just dont know what theyre talking about, so they passed on them to make you mad and drive the fans away.

youre dead on, nice post...

*sarcasm off*

I think 5 to 7 years from now we'll be glad with our selection of ryan. Not to say Dorsey or Mcfadden won't be probowlers but Matts something special. Back to Back winning seasons aren't as far away as you think.

atl falcon 89 (5/1/2008)
I think 5 to 7 years from now we'll be glad with our selection of ryan. Not to say Dorsey or Mcfadden won't be probowlers but Matts something special. Back to Back winning seasons aren't as far away as you think.

Well I almost hate to say it but the longer I hang around here looking, reading, and thinking; the more I am willing to give this new FO a chance. The signing of the Colts' long-time college scout only solidified this feeling. I am willing to give Ryan a chance, because I think we are working to build a strong team around him. With that, I think he could possibly thrive.

I wanted us to draft Baker before the NCAA season got going, then he got hurt, but I was pleased we picked him up. I like the Lofton pick. He is a physical MLB with solid skills. He actually reminds of Al Wilson a bit. Not spectacular but good ability and could be a multiple Pro Bowler with a good team around him.

The third round was classic. Douglas and Jackson make for great depth. Just these 5 guys really stood out to me as being worth the picks. All of them produced in big programs and could translate to good to great NFL players. The others I'm not as sure about, but those 5 could make for a great basis to launch this regime off with. I'm gonna hang in there, always a Falcon for the last almost 30 years; minus the few days after the 2008 draft that I lost faith in Blank's guys....finally.

figured he would come around... i must admit mike vick made me a falcons fan and some of that is due to the fact that im a hokies fan and i had a whole lot of vick stuff in my closet now i hate mike vick but i would never ever give up on the atlanta falcons so what they have never won a sb that just means when they do we can all order the subscription to sports illustrated jus for the dam football lol but ill support this team if they go 1 and 15!!!

WillWork4Tackles (5/4/2008)
**** I think we did go 1-15 not too, too long ago. Or at least 2-14. Oh well, let's see how the next 5+ years go.

who the falcons? we went 1-12-1 in 1967 and 2-12 in 1968 i think, but we've never had a season with less than 3 wins other than those two. we didnt have a 3-13 season since 1996.