Adding another 3rd rounder makes it easier to take C. Long or Gholston if Dorsey and J. Long go 1,2

halsey

The Giants showed how important pass rushers are and they're overstocked with them with Strahan, Umeniora, Kiwanuka and Justin Tuck. The Falcons have plenty of picks to address bigger needs and should not be afraid to take Chris Long or Vernon Gholston if they consider either of them to be the BPA and Jake Long and Dorsey go first and second.

halsey (3/31/2008)
The Giants showed how important pass rushers are and they're overstocked with them with Strahan, Umeniora, Kiwanuka and Justin Tuck. The Falcons have plenty of picks to address bigger needs and should not be afraid to take Chris Long or Vernon Gholston if they consider either of them to be the BPA and Jake Long and Dorsey go first and second.
I agree totally.

formul8or (3/31/2008)
The Giants still don't have 3 first round DE's. That would be a waste for us. Gholston should be a linebacker for us.

Strahan and Umeniora are 2 of the highest paid DE's in the league, Kimanuka is a first rounder and Tuck is a third rounder. They don't consider it a waste. If Gholston or Long can step back and play LB, great. Even more of a reason the Falcons should not be afraid to take them.

I'll agree with that. However, I thought before the pick that Gholston had an outside chance of being the pick for the Falcons. That was based on his talent and the value he adds as a pass rusher. Outside of John Abraham, we had nobody else to rush the passer.

Jamaal Anderson plays the more run stopping oriented LE so adding a pass rushing RE is not an issue. Abraham is going to turn 30 in May. Gholston rates high enough and you would like for ATL to not have as many holes so they could take him. We have so many picks that we may still be able to get away with it. There would be enough picks left to bring in LT, QB, CB, DT and MLB all in the first 3 rounds.

While i'm on the subject, people need to stop acting like Gholston is on a different planet as a pass rusher than Long. That's stereotyping. People are looking at workout numbers and skin pigment to reach that conclusion. Well, Jared Allen and Patrick Kerney have the same skin pigment and probably worse workout numbers than Long. They were first and second in sacks last season. Aaron Kampman and Kyle Vanden Bosch have been top pass rushers in recent years as well.  

halsey (3/31/2008)
While i'm on the subject, people need to stop acting like Gholston is on a different planet as a pass rusher than Long. That's stereotyping. People are looking at workout numbers and skin pigment to reach that conclusion. Well, Jared Allen and Patrick Kerney have the same skin pigment and probably worse workout numbers than Long. They were first and second in sacks last season. Aaron Kampman and Kyle Vanden Bosch have been top pass rushers in recent years as well.  
Huh? Some of the best LE's are white. The normal stereotype around here is that LE=High motor=white, RE=fast and small=black. I like Gholston on the left if possible and Long on the right if we needed to. I'm all about what will work. If we somehow lost Abe. I'd wish for C.Long on the right and Anderson on the left. If we took Gholston I'd put Anderson inside, and Gholston on the left.

I'm a firm believer that ends are interchangeable man.;)

halsey (3/31/2008)
BTW. No one made this into a race issue and I'm starting to believe that you have one.

The H.N.I.C. 2! (3/31/2008)
ATL will take matt ryan if those 2 are gone, i gaurantee it!

Hopefully Kansas City or Baltimore fall in love with him and trade up with us in this scenario

Why would they take Ryan if Chris Long or Vernon Gholston is gone? There is still J. Long, G. Dorsey, and S. Ellis available.

The thrid round pick could allow the falcons to take a Free Safety in the 2nd. I like DeJuan Morgan to be that pick. He can play both FS/SS. Here are some players that the falcons can lock up with the third round pick:

1) Ezra Butler MLB - 6-2 - 257 - 4.48. He is faster than some DBs plus he is a hitter.

2) Shawn Murphy OG - 6-4 - 319 - 5.20.

3) Chad Rinehart OT - 6-5 - 317 - 5.31.

4) Brad Cottam TE - 6-4 - 271 - 4.75.

5) Chris Ellis DE - 6-4 - 260 - 4.75.

halsey (3/31/2008)

For the first time, I do believe that Gholston could be a factor for The Falcons now.

They can still draft DT Red Bryant in the 2nd or 3rd if Dimitroff does not trade-up..***

(***I feel that is more likely that Dimitroff will attempt to acquire another 1st round pick though..***)

If Gholston is here, Abraham= traded to a contender (In my opinion). Denver is trying to win now.

The only problem that I have with Gholston is that he is going to have to have Abraham moves and flexibility to get-around NFL tackles as an under-sized Elephant rusher in the 4-3. Plus, he is more of a "Living Muscle"...and they pop.

grendel (4/1/2008)
halsey (3/31/2008)

I can't think of a way for the 7th best prospect (Gholston) to be the BPA at pick #3... Maybe it's that "new math".

Oh I get it, you think there's sopme universal ranking of players. As if everyone agrees on where Gholston ranks. You'll learn that there's no such thing as you learn about the draft.

bluedevilx34 (4/1/2008)
I really do think Chris Long goes to Miami.  He's a Bill Parcell's type of guy, and Jason Taylor isn't getting any younger.  So regardless of who the rams take, Dorsey or Jake Long should be available. 

Nobody is getting any younger. Not a single person on Earth.

halsey (3/31/2008)

I agree..........if you have a defense who can intimidate the QB and stop the run..........you are going to destroy more than a few teams !!!

grendel (4/1/2008)
halsey (4/1/2008)
grendel (4/1/2008)
halsey (3/31/2008)

I can't think of a way for the 7th best prospect (Gholston) to be the BPA at pick #3... Maybe it's that "new math".

Oh I get it, you think there's sopme universal ranking of players. As if everyone agrees on where G:laugh :holston ranks. You'll learn that there's no such thing as you learn about the draft.

Oooh! Teach me master!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Maybe as YOU learn about the draft, you'll learn that one-dimensional workout warriors are not nearly as highly rated as you seem to think.

Good thing gholston isnt one dimensional. hahahhh

halsey (4/1/2008)
bluedevilx34 (4/1/2008)
I really do think Chris Long goes to Miami.  He's a Bill Parcell's type of guy, and Jason Taylor isn't getting any younger.  So regardless of who the rams take, Dorsey or Jake Long should be available. 

Weak comeback.  Bill Parcells likes pass rushers too, I'm willing to bet Long goes to the Dolphins. 

You know the Giants had a great playoff run. However, everyone remembers that the Giants beat the Pats because of their pass rush, because the patriots stopped running the ball in like week 8. It was like a 10 year old playing madden out there they would just heave it up and try to put up 50, and the giants having played them like a month previous knew this. Your team needs a pure DT because if a team comes in dedicated to the run we are going to get pushed around, pretty much like we have the past couple of years. Remeber when Carolina came in with Chris Weinke and ran the ball every down? Right up the middle, and they they came right back this year in the first game and put it right up the middle again? Its pathetic that we cant stop a one dimensional offense. Glenn Dorsey is a force in the middle and if he had stayed healthy all season he would have had 10+ sacks. He will help us more on an every down basis.

bluedevilx34 (4/1/2008)
halsey (4/1/2008)
bluedevilx34 (4/1/2008)

Weak comeback.  Bill Parcells likes pass rushers too, I'm willing to bet Long goes to the Dolphins. 

I wasn't trying to make a comeback, I just think saying "he's not getting any younger" sounds funny.