Trading back into the first round

you want a partner with lots of picks if you want to trade down from #3. also if you want brohm you need to stay in the top 7 in my opinion which is why i say NE is a good partner, especially given the fact that they have and extra 3rd and may WANT to move up ahead of their rival jets to get someone they both may be targeting.

buddrick (3/31/2008)
you want a partner with lots of picks if you want to trade down from #3. also if you want brohm you need to stay in the top 7 in my opinion which is why i say NE is a good partner, especially given the fact that they have and extra 3rd and may WANT to move up ahead of their rival jets to get someone they both may be targeting.

Usually I'd agree but with 11 picks overall and 7 in the top 103, it gives us scope to move up to get the right player

nevesmetro (3/31/2008)
buddrick (3/31/2008)

Usually I'd agree but with 11 picks overall and 7 in the top 103, it gives us scope to move up to get the right player

No thanks. Get a few guys. More chances to get future all-stars instead of one bust.

Legion (3/31/2008)
nevesmetro (3/31/2008)
buddrick (3/31/2008)

No thanks. Get a few guys. More chances to get future all-stars instead of one bust.

Or move up to get a future all star instead of 2 average guys. It works both ways

nevesmetro (3/31/2008)
Legion (3/31/2008)
nevesmetro (3/31/2008)
buddrick (3/31/2008)

Or move up to get a future all star instead of 2 average guys. It works both ways

More of a chance of getting a bust with one. You have a 5o-50 chance with two guys and all or nothing with one. Law of averages man. Brohm and Ryan are on the same level as Flacco and Henne. Just different types of players . In a draft with more teams needing QB's and less of other positions The other two would be in the top 31, one guy is in the top 32. I don't see your point as a strong case, but a case never-the-less.

Legion (3/31/2008)
nevesmetro (3/31/2008)
Legion (3/31/2008)
nevesmetro (3/31/2008)
buddrick (3/31/2008)

More of a chance of getting a bust with one. You have a 5o-50 chance with two guys and all or nothing with one. Law of averages man. Brohm and Ryan are on the same level as Flacco and Henne. Just different types of players . In a draft with more teams needing QB's and less of other positions The other two would be in the top 31, one guy is in the top 32. I don't see your point as a strong case, but a case never-the-less.

I'm not trying to make a strong case. But I will repeat that with 11 picks it gives us scope to move up if the FO thinks the right player is sitting there for us. Surely you can't be closed off to that idea?

That's what makes the whole thing exciting though. 11 picks will completely change this franchise for many years...for better or for worse. I truly believe the Falcons need as many picks as possible...that being said I do believe in quality over quantity, so if there was a must-have player I wouldn't be as upset as I would have in the past if the Falcons traded a pick...just as long as they don't over-pay with picks.

Legion (3/31/2008)
I'm closed off to any trade whether up or down. I understand your logic, but we have too many things to be concerned with. If we reached like that, it would seem like more of the same.

Cool. We just draft a different way. I'm a mover both ways. If I think I can get the player I really want lower down, then I'm open to offers, if I think the player I really want won't fall, I'm moving up (at the right price)

nevesmetro (3/31/2008)
Legion (3/31/2008)
I'm closed off to any trade whether up or down. I understand your logic, but we have too many things to be concerned with. If we reached like that, it would seem like more of the same.

Cool. We just draft a different way. I'm a mover both ways. If I think I can get the player I really want lower down, then I'm open to offers, if I think the player I really want won't fall, I'm moving up.

Thats a waste man. We may do this and like I said, I'm use to the Falcons having poor drafts and reaching far too much...or worse. I won't have a say regardless so...

Just difference in philosiphies, some rather cast a big net and get alot of players and see what pans out, others would rather focus on specific players and see what pans out. Neither can say the other is right or wrong, just 2 different paths to getting to the same destination. I'm the kind of person that would rather have quality over quantity, I'm not saying there isn't quality in getting alot of picks, however the more picks you have, the more your gonna have to spend on signing those pics, especially with 7 picks out of the top 103.  We could not trade any picks and take 7 guys and have 3 turn out to be good/great players, we could also trade picks and end up with 3 good/great players. I believe in paying for a good thing, sometimes you have to invest on potential, not saying keeping all 7 picks is wrong, its just not my philosiphy.

buddrick (3/31/2008)
why i say NE is a good partner

I doubt it-the Patriots have made it a yearly deal in stockpiling picks, trading down to acquire more for that year and future drafts. They would have to give up too much to trade up even a few spots. I don't see them moving up-but down...

If someone thinks that moveing up for a targeted player is a bad idea theres no talking to them.I think it might take a huge trade to get brohm.He shouldnt make it past carolina or chicago.There are all sorts of angles and draft day positioning to consider.

bigduke633 (3/31/2008)
If someone thinks that moveing up for a targeted player is a bad idea theres no talking to them.I think it might take a huge trade to get brohm.He shouldnt make it past carolina or chicago.There are all sorts of angles and draft day positioning to consider.

I live in Carolina and follow them like I do the Falcons. I would be shocked to see Carolina use a first round pick on a QB. They have some serious needs at other positions, but the primary reason is that Fox and Hurney are in a must win situation to keep their jobs. They do not have time to worry about developing a QB right now. They will hope and pray that Jake Delhomme will recover fully and play as well as he has in the past.

I will agree that they need a QB to develop......but they are not going to make an investment at this time (at least not a first round pick).

They had really poor play from their DEs last year. Rucker is ineffective (if he decides to come back) and Peppers went MIA. The Panthers had the second worse sack total in the league last year. They traded Jenkins, and their other DTs are mediocre. They desperately need DL help. They do not have a pure LT on the team and they are hunting for more OL help as well. They also need to find a starting safety as well.