Falcons completely loaded for NFL Draft

draftsharks

http://www.draftsharks.com/

Falcons land extra 3rd rounder

The NFL awarded the Atlanta Falcons a compensatory 3rd-round pick for the defection of DE Patrick Kerney to Seattle last year. This extra 3rd now gives the Falcons a league-high 6 picks out of the first 100 slots. And 4 of the first 48.  It could be a historic draft for Falcons owner Arthur Blank, who's certainly been dealt bad cards lately.

mr pickle (3/31/2008)
Legion (3/31/2008)
The pick will probably be traded.

:hehe:...yeah!...except for the small problem of compensatory picks not being eligible for trade....:P

I meant the other picks my bad. My blood just runs cold when I think of draft-day trades for the Falcons. There is just no need.

Open Source (3/31/2008)
Wow, 6% of the first 100 picks. That's insane. I really hope they don't mess this up, but I'm going to remain positive. :)

The fact that our GM was the director of college scouting for the Patriots makes me optimistic, because of how much experience he has paying his dews as a road scout.

Josh Affonso (3/31/2008)
Legion (3/31/2008)
)
Perfect nickel LB/DB in the two.

Yeah I have been crossing my fingers for us to draft Woodyard for a long time, and I think that this comp. pick is the perfect place to snag him. I love hybrid players. I would actually use him in ST and Nickel for the first few games though.

I love hybrid players. I would actually use him in ST and Nickel for the first few games though.

IMO Woodyard is so similar to Milloy that he would be able to sit and learn from him for the '08 season, and then he could get a shot at starting in '09. Milloy might retire after this season, and I think that with the right mentoring, Woodyard could give us many of the same aspects that Milloy has, also with great vision and perhaps more playmaking ability.

I'm big on the hybrid guys too. So are TD and Coach Smith, which is exciting.

Josh Affonso (3/31/2008)
I love hybrid players. I would actually use him in ST and Nickel for the first few games though.

IMO Woodyard is so similar to Milloy that he would be able to sit and learn from him for the '08 season, and then he could get a shot at starting in '09. Milloy might retire after this season, and I think that with the right mentoring, Woodyard could give us many of the same aspects that Milloy has, also with great vision and perhaps more playmaking ability.

You do know that Cover 2 safeties are a lot like having two FS that can play CB as well as Safety right? They are typically ex-CB's who can cover a little and don't miss many tackles. If Woodyard has the speed I say ****'s yeah. Didn't he run a 4.5 in the 40yd dash? I know that in all DB positions in the "2" all you need is a sub 4.65 for safety or CB.

Legion (3/31/2008)
Josh Affonso (3/31/2008)

You do know that Cover 2 safeties are a lot like having two FS that can play CB as well as Safety right? They are typically ex-CB's who can cover a little and don't miss many tackles. If Woodyard has the speed I say ****'s yeah. Didn't he run a 4.5 in the 40yd dash? I know that in all DB positions in the "2" all you need is a sub 4.65 for safety or CB.

I believe Woodyard ran in the low 4.5's. I am not positive but he may have been the fastest linebacker that ran the dash this yeah. I am sure he was in the top-3.

Legion (3/31/2008)
robpanama (3/31/2008)
With this many pics, would it not make sense to stockpile a pic for next year?
no

I have to agree with Legion, this team need to address a lot of holes now. This is the year they can begin the right the ship. They need to use these picks this year, I will be really upset if they trade some of them for picks next year. Only teams like New England, who don't have gaping holes, can afford to trade for future picks.

trojandawg (3/31/2008)
7 of the first 103... wow.

1 Jake Long OT

2 Curtis Lofton MLB

2 Joe Flacco QB

2 Pat Sims DT

3 Patrick Lee CB

3 Matt Forte RB

4 Jermichael Finley TE

I like your picks, but from what I am hearing and reading, all 3 of your second rounders could go high in the second......meaning we could miss out on 1 or 2 of them. In the last week, I have heard several of the draft analysts suggest that Pat Sims is a stud and will go higher than expected. If we don't pick Dorsey with our first, I hope we get him in the second. I also hope we get one of 3 LBs in the second (Conner, Mayo or Loftin) and one of the 3 QBs (Brohm, Flacco or Henne) as well. This is a deep corner draft and I hope we get a good one in the second or third round.

I think it is rather strange that a lot of fans seem to think that D Hall will be easy to replace. Houston has a lot to learn and the other spot is wide open with several unproven options. When teams torch our secondary, a lot of fans will start to realize how weak this position is.