If J. Long and Dorsey are gone...and we can't trade down

If we can't trade down, and Jake Long and Glenn Dorsey are gone, then Matt Ryan is the only option.

Yes, he's definitely only a 4th choice, but there is no other player at a vague position of need (so not DE or RB) that is worth the #3 pick. Ellis is solid, but is not quite worth #3 overall.

By taking Ryan, while he's not perfect, we do at least get the (consensus, not unanimous) best QB in the draft. We can then address OT, DT and CB in the second.

Ryan is not a reach at #3. You can argue whether he's a good pick or not, but he's not a reach. He's a viable option for the Dolphins at #1, the Chiefs at #5, the Jets at #6, and the Ravens will not let him get past them at #8. There's also talk of the Ravens trading up for him.

You can dislike Ryan all you want, and to an extent I agree that he has flaws. But he's not a reach.

d-rod (3/31/2008)
Ryan is not a reach at #3. You can argue whether he's a good pick or not, but he's not a reach. He's a viable option for the Dolphins at #1, the Chiefs at #5, the Jets at #6, and the Ravens will not let him get past them at #8. There's also talk of the Ravens trading up for him.

You can dislike Ryan all you want, and to an extent I agree that he has flaws. But he's not a reach.

Agreed.  I hope this doesn't happen but Atlanta would have to take Ryan or Brohm if they can't trade out of the pick and Long and Dorsey are gone. 

I don't know that we would not take chris long if the scenario hold true.

we can immediately use him as a DE to spell abraham and keep the pass rush threat.

but remember he can be used as an OLB.  He can play standing up.  If he gets drdafted by a 3-4 team he will play OLB. 

It is not out of the relm of posibility that we draft Chris long.  Although I don't think St. Louis will draft dorsey because carricker is not a pass rush DE he is a run stop DE and actually plays better at DT than DE.  They will draft gholston or jake long or chris long.

william britt (3/31/2008)
Go with the athlete in vernon gholston. DE is not a position that we truly need but Gholston gives you good depth which is a good thing since john abraham tends to tire at the end of games. the other option is taking mcfadden and sitting on him until we get a decent trade offer.
If you think drafting McFadden is a smart idea then I award you w/the dumb idea of the week award.

And drafting Gholston would be a bad move.

grendel (3/31/2008)
d-rod (3/31/2008)

Ryan is a reach before the 3rd round and until Brohm, Henne, Flacco, and Josh Johnson are off the board.

Agree on the first 3, disagree on Johnson.

I would hope that we would not reach for a player at a "position of need" in this scenario.  At the top of the draft, it is wise to select a player because you feel he has the most potential to be a superstar - not because he plays at a position you need.

To site an overused example...

The Trailblazers had Clyde Drexler in 1984.  He showed some promise at shooting guard after his first season, so there really was no reason to draft Michael Jordan over Sam Bowie...  Or maybe they thought Sam Bowie had more potential...

With the #3 pick in the draft, we need to pick on potential, and if the greatest potential falls at a position of need,  --  BONUS!!  All other picks should be used to address needs...

d-rod (3/31/2008)

The only reason why he's not a reach at 3 is because he's the best QB in the class, and that fact is serving to artificially inflate his status. If this was the '06 draft, he would be the 4th QB off the board, drafted somewhere in the mid 20's. That's about the right place for someone with his talent and skillset, but the weakness at the top of this year's class has really helped his stock...

formul8or (3/31/2008)
Gholston or Ellis are the only candidates I see.

Agreed. One hing I didn't think about was the injury problem with Abraham. Gohlston would definitely come into play big-time. To me at this point, as long as we get a good player along the D or O lines (whoever has the most points) I'm cool with because this thing will be a 2 or 3 year process of building.