Sporting news has us takeing corner 1st pick 2nd round

Big Duke 6

Antoine Cason

CB, Arizona

War Room analysis

Coverage skills: Is a natural; breaks up more passes than catches he allows. Jams receivers in bump-and-run coverage to slow their release, and turns and runs to maintain tight coverage all over the field. Grade: 8.0

Run/pass recognition: Shows good instincts to sniff out plays, and does not get fooled by play-action fakes or misdirection. Reads the quarterback well in zone or "off" coverage, playing quicker than 40 time would indicate. Grade: 8.0

Closing speed: Lacks elite speed and explosive burst; compensates with instincts, quickness and athleticism. Shows quick footwork and agility to transition out of backpedal and close on passes in front of him, showing a deceptive closing burst to play the ball. Has enough speed to stay with all but the fastest receivers downfield; shows the loose hips and smooth athleticism to turn and run with receivers without losing a step. Grade: 7.5

Ball skills: Reaches in front of receivers with front arm to break up passes without committing penalties. Flashes hands to make tough interceptions, but is inconsistent and drops some easy chances. Grade: 6.5

Run support: Has a reputation for not being competitive in this area, but in games we evaluated on film, consistently came up and fought through blocks to make tackles. Grade: 7.5

Bottom line: Cason improved significantly between junior and senior seasons. He showed marked improvement using his front arm to break up passes; in games we evaluated, he broke up more than twice as many passes as he allowed to be completed. Cason is not a burner but is a good athlete with all the intangibles to be a good NFL starter. He also has the smarts, instincts and toughness to switch to safety if need be.

i think we have bigger needs in the second round. if, for some reason we take a qb first, second round we need to address OT and DT. if we address OT or DT first we will take care of the other and probably QB and LB in the second. i don't see us addressing CB till possibly 3rd or 4th round.

mike boraski (3/30/2008)
i think we have bigger needs in the second round. if, for some reason we take a qb first, second round we need to address OT and DT. if we address OT or DT first we will take care of the other and probably QB and LB in the second. i don't see us addressing CB till possibly 3rd or 4th round.

I kind of feel it would be robbing peter to pay paul.We should use the pick on best corner since thats what we gave up.

bigduke633 (3/30/2008)
mike boraski (3/30/2008)

I kind of feel it would be robbing peter to pay paul.We should use the pick on best corner since thats what we gave up.

if it is true that we are going to a cover 2, than we need to worry more about a SS that can cover more ground than milloy, since he is getting older. if we stay in a more man style, than yes, we probably do need another good CB. honestly, i think either way if we just address the front 7 to get more consistent pressure on the QB, that will remove a lot of the pressure on any CB's we have.

mike boraski (3/30/2008)
bigduke633 (3/30/2008)
mike boraski (3/30/2008)

if it is true that we are going to a cover 2, than we need to worry more about a SS that can cover more ground than milloy, since he is getting older. if we stay in a more man style, than yes, we probably do need another good CB. honestly, i think either way if we just address the front 7 to get more consistent pressure on the QB, that will remove a lot of the pressure on any CB's we have.

Some coverage might help but you cant hide a bad corner in the nfl.

bigduke633 (3/30/2008)
Antoine Cason

CB, Arizona

War Room analysis

Coverage skills: Is a natural; breaks up more passes than catches he allows. Jams receivers in bump-and-run coverage to slow their release, and turns and runs to maintain tight coverage all over the field. Grade: 8.0

Run/pass recognition: Shows good instincts to sniff out plays, and does not get fooled by play-action fakes or misdirection. Reads the quarterback well in zone or "off" coverage, playing quicker than 40 time would indicate. Grade: 8.0

Closing speed: Lacks elite speed and explosive burst; compensates with instincts, quickness and athleticism. Shows quick footwork and agility to transition out of backpedal and close on passes in front of him, showing a deceptive closing burst to play the ball. Has enough speed to stay with all but the fastest receivers downfield; shows the loose hips and smooth athleticism to turn and run with receivers without losing a step. Grade: 7.5

Ball skills: Reaches in front of receivers with front arm to break up passes without committing penalties. Flashes hands to make tough interceptions, but is inconsistent and drops some easy chances. Grade: 6.5

Run support: Has a reputation for not being competitive in this area, but in games we evaluated on film, consistently came up and fought through blocks to make tackles. Grade: 7.5

Bottom line: Cason improved significantly between junior and senior seasons. He showed marked improvement using his front arm to break up passes; in games we evaluated, he broke up more than twice as many passes as he allowed to be completed. Cason is not a burner but is a good athlete with all the intangibles to be a good NFL starter. He also has the smarts, instincts and toughness to switch to safety if need be.

hmmm those individual grades do not equal 8?