Is Ryan Clady worth the #3?

Mr. Hoopah!

Long and Dorsey may very well be the first two picks, not necessarily in that order.  Plus there is the lingering question of whether Long is athletic enough to play LT in the NFL.  All the draft experts have said that Clady's athleticism make him the best pure LT in this draft.  I've seen mocks with him going as high as #5.  Do you guys think he's worth the #3 overall?  He has no question marks as far as I know of, whereas Long has the NFL RT thing going and Dorsey has the injury and motor questions.  Yes I realize alot of stuff said about the players is manufactured so they will drop to certain teams, but when it's said enough it takes some consideration.  I would take Clady at #3, I like him as a LT better than Long. 

Our needs are in the trenches, and that says to me if Long and Dorsey are gone then we sould look at Ellis. Ellis has been jumping all around on mocks though ranging from 4 to 9. If Long and Dorsey are both gone then I would trade back, Ellis or Williams (Vandy OT) will be there. I fell most comfortable with that.

bluedevilx34 (3/30/2008)
Long and Dorsey may very well be the first two picks, not necessarily in that order. Plus there is the lingering question of whether Long is athletic enough to play LT in the NFL. All the draft experts have said that Clady's athleticism make him the best pure LT in this draft. I've seen mocks with him going as high as #5. Do you guys think he's worth the #3 overall? He has no question marks as far as I know of, whereas Long has the NFL RT thing going and Dorsey has the injury and motor questions. Yes I realize alot of stuff said about the players is manufactured so they will drop to certain teams, but when it's said enough it takes some consideration. I would take Clady at #3, I like him as a LT better than Long.
Absolutely, positively not. Clady is at best the 3rd best OT in this draft. And, if Jake Long does turn out to be only a RT (which I think it's going to depend on the scheme that the team that drafts him plays), then Clady is at best the 2nd best LT in the draft.

For Jake, if he goes to a passing team with a spread offense or a zone blocking scheme, then he's probably going to be a RT there. But if he goes to a power running team that has a lot of play action passing then I think he'll be an excellent LT for a team like that.

I was thinking about this today as well.. If Long and Dorsey go 1 and 2 and we can't trade down, what are our options?

-Ghostlon and Chris Long are both animals but they are more 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DEs, I don't care where people say "they could play"

-Matt Ryan isn't worth the number 3 pick (I wouldn't mind Brohm there but that is still too much money to pay a QB who might not pan out)

-No to McFadden, we already have a fast RB.

-Ellis is good but 3 is too high to take him IMO.

We should take the next best LT IMO, we can trade up to get Brohm in the bottom of the first if we have to, or take Henne/Flacco in the 2nd, there are a number of DTs who are 6'4 + we can get in the 2nd or 3rd round who I think might fit Mike Smiths style well.

Let me just say though, Even if I can find faults with all the players listed at above, I wouldn't mind any of them on the team ;)

I think Clady and Chris Williams are ideal left tackles.  I've seen mock with Clady going #5 but none as high as #3.  I think he is a top 10 talent.  When you think about it, if he is good enough to go at #5, I personally don't think #3 would be that big of a reach.  Especially if Jake Long is gone and you can't trade down.  You either take Clady at #3 or wait till round 2 for a tackle. 

I think outside off Clady and Williams, the other left tackles types are not quite up to par as far as left tackles go.  I hear Sam Baker, Tony Hills and Oniel Cousins could end up being guards.  Carl Nicks and Anthony Collins may be better at right tackle.  Otah struggled at the combine and really looked like a RT and Cherillus struggled at time during the season against athletic pass rushers while playing on the left side.  Duane Brown is a bit of a developmental type.  It just seems like we may be in a bit of a bind.  Maybe a little too high for the other left tackles and the others guy may be over their heads their.