2 round mock, just for entertainment purposes

Robb4242

I'm not promoting that anything like this happens. I've been adamant that we don't draft a QB before fixing our LT position & preferably more of the OL. I've also been strongly opposed to trading any of our 2nd round picks. I think we can fill 3 holes with those picks.

However, with all the people discussing trading back up in the bottom of the 1st to get Brohm or a QB, I wanted to take a look at making this trade up, but in a little different perspective. I am of the opinion that Ryan is the best NFL QB prospect, but not really worth the #3 overall pick. However, there are plenty of the so-called experts out there that say he could go #1. So I'm going to do a little mock that has us taking Ryan #3 on the off-chance that he is there & TD/Blank feel he's the way to go for whatever reason (business, talent, ect).

The first thing to do is figure out a trade up scenario that makes some sense. Knowing that we're going to need a LT, I know we've got to get fairly high into the 1st round, somewhere between 15 & 20. I'm going to target the Cardinals since their biggest team needs are at some positions that can probably be addressed with value early in round 2 because of the depth of the positions. My offer would be pick #34 (from Oakland), pick #68 (3rd round), and our 2nd round pick in 2009. The value of these picks is minutely higher than Arizona's pick #16 (1000 - 1005). It might now be enough to get the trade done, but Arizona needs

Round 1

1. Miami - Chris Long

2. St. Louis - Jake Long

3. Atlanta - Matt Ryan

4. Oakland - Vernon Gholston

5. Kansas City - Jeff Otah

6. New York Jets - Leodis McKelvin

7. New England - Darrin McFadden

8. Baltimore - Glenn Dorsey

9. Cincinnati - Sedrick Ellis

10. New Orleans - Keith Rivers

11. Buffalo - Malcolm Kelly

12. Denver - Ryan Clady

13. Carolina - Chris Williams

14. Chicago - Richard Mendehall

15. Detroit - Jonathan Stewart

16. Atlanta - Brandon Albert (LT)

17. Minnesota - Derrick Harvey

18. Houston - Gosder Cherilus

19. Philadelphia - DeSean Jackson

20. Tampa Bay - Devin Thomas

21. Washington - Philip Merling

22. Dallas - Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie

23. Pittsburgh - Aqib Talib

24. Tennessee - Limas Sweed

25. Seattle - Dustin Keller

26. Jacksonville - Quentin Groves

27. San Diego - Mike Jenkins

28. Dallas - Felix Jones

29. San Francisco - Calis Campbell

30. Green Bay - Sam Baker

31. New York Giants - Reggie Smith

Round 2

32. Miami - Dan Connor

33. St. Louis - James Hardy

34. Arizona - Antoine Cason

35. Kansas City - Brandon Flowers

36. New York Jets - Kenny Philips

37. Atlanta - Carl Nicks (RT)

38. Baltimore - Joe Flacco

39. San Francisco - Marrio Manningham

40. New Orleans - Curtis Lofton

41. Buffalo - Patrick Lee

42. Denver - Jerrod Mayo

43. Carolina - Lawrence Jackson

44. Chicago - Early Doucet

45. Detroit - Chad Henne

46. Cincinnati - Erin Henderson

47. Minnesota - Kentwan Balmer

48. Atlanta - Pat Sims

That gives us:

Matt Ryan - QB

Brandon Albert - LT (granted a risk, but there are a lot of people who think he can play LT)

Carl Nicks - RT

Pat Sims - DT

Not exactly how I want things to go, but at least we do take a strong shot at fixing the OL (OT's anyway) and we get a guy who I think is going to be a solid DT as well (although not on Dorsey's level if Dorsey can stay healthy).

I like the idea, it's in a mock I'm working on. Except I have us trading down a bit and taking Brohm instead of Ryan, and trading back up for Albert. He's really growing on me and he seems like the perfect fit at LT for us, with the footwork and athleticism plus the mauling style and mean streak he gets from playing at guard.

Robb , I think Nicks and Rachal are two of the best Naturally gifted OL in the draft , and I happen to think that Rachal could be the best one in the draft . However , I have found some bad news on both , these  two guys have some issues with character. I'm sure it won't effect them very much but Nicks is dropping BC of it ,  It is not to the point that i wouldn't take either but it is a red flag on both players.  Nicks problems are more of a concern than Rachal. That's why he is dropping in the rankings . I just learned this in the last few days. 

I don't really understand the idea of drafting Braden Albert and moving him to LT. I agree that he has potential at the position, but why are we avoiding what is being called the best OT class in 24 years? There would be a steep learning curve for Albert, where as a guy like Jake Long could step right in. If we are going to trade up, I would want more value, and Albert moving to LT seems like more of a risk than it is worth.

L.Rover (3/30/2008)
I don't really understand the idea of drafting Braden Albert and moving him to LT. I agree that he has potential at the position, but why are we avoiding what is being called the best OT class in 24 years? There would be a steep learning curve for Albert, where as a guy like Jake Long could step right in. If we are going to trade up, I would want more value, and Albert moving to LT seems like more of a risk than it is worth.
IMO, there are 5 guys who could play LT in the NFL at a high level in this draft. I tried to do this honestly and not place a guy in a spot for us that I just wanted, I placed them where I can see them going. I agree with you, if Jake Long is there at #3, take him, but I had him going to #2.

I also can't see us legitimately trading back up into the 1st any higher than this spot, and by the time I got back to us in the draft, the top 4 LT's were gone.

Draftnut57 (3/30/2008)
Robb , I think Nicks and Rachal are two of the best Naturally gifted OL in the draft , and I happen to think that Rachal could be the best one in the draft . However , I have found some bad news on both , these two guys have some issues with character. I'm sure it won't effect them very much but Nicks is dropping BC of it , It is not to the point that i wouldn't take either but it is a red flag on both players. Nicks problems are more of a concern than Rachal. That's why he is dropping in the rankings . I just learned this in the last few days.
My debate for pick #48 was between Sims & Rachal. I think both will be excellent players. But I went Sims because I couldn't see 3 rookies on the OL. If I had gone another way other than Nicks (which is possible since I don't think Weiner is really that bad of a RT), then it would have been Rachal most likely.

As for Nicks character problems, I'm sure the NFL teams are really checking out this latest incident. But on the surface it didn't sound that bad. If I remember & understood it correctly, he was at a party that got too rowdy & the police came and had to get people to leave. I don't recall any resisting arrest or disorderly conduct claims against him. There may have been a purchase or supplying alcohol to underage college kids, but, although illegal, if that's the main charge, I can't really see that hurting his status overall. Maybe I'm misremembering, but I'd sure like to see Nicks on our OL.

Robb4242 (3/30/2008)
IMO, there are 5 guys who could play LT in the NFL at a high level in this draft. I tried to do this honestly and not place a guy in a spot for us that I just wanted, I placed them where I can see them going. I agree with you, if Jake Long is there at #3, take him, but I had him going to #2.

I also can't see us legitimately trading back up into the 1st any higher than this spot, and by the time I got back to us in the draft, the top 4 LT's were gone.

Completely understand. I think there are more than 5 future LT starters in this draft, but as far as being able to step in from Day 1 like we need, that is another story.

Robb4242 (3/30/2008)

I'm curious as to who are the 5 guys you think can play LT in the NFL at a high level?

DrDetecto (3/30/2008)
Robb4242 (3/30/2008)

I'm curious as to who are the 5 guys you think can play LT in the NFL at a high level?

Ryan Clady, Sam Baker, Gosder Cherilus, Chris Williams.

That's 4 right off the top of my head.

Matthew Pritts (3/30/2008)
DrDetecto (3/30/2008)
Robb4242 (3/30/2008)

Cherilus is almost certainly going to be a RT in the pros. 

Scott24Falcs (3/30/2008)
DrDetecto (3/30/2008)
Robb4242 (3/30/2008)

Cherilus is almost certainly going to be a RT in the pros. 

Ok.

Thanks. :)

L.Rover (3/30/2008)

How on earth can you not include Jake Long on that list?

I was thinking more of a natural LT.

How on earth can you not include Jake Long on that list?

DrDetecto (3/30/2008)
Robb4242 (3/30/2008)

The 1st 5 OT's I have going. Jake Long, Jeff Otah, Chris Williams, Ryan Clady, & Brandon Albert, in that order IMO.

I think in a ZBS, Sam Baker & Duane Brown will eventually make good LT's but they are not a fit for our team.

Guys like Oniel Cousins, Corey Clark, & Thaddeus Coleman are LT prospects that should go in the mid rounds that I like if they are given the chance to develop for a couple years.

B. Albert is my favorite OL in this draft. However, I don't see us trading up for him. I would suggest that we trade down with either NE or NYJ and pick up an extra second rounder (NE would have to throw in something else to compensate for their low second round slot). In that manner, we will still have one of the top DT's on the board, as well as the top QB and the top OG.

My guess is that we would draft one of the DT's in the first round and use a second rounder to take Nicks. Nicks is supremely athletic. The character concerns have been well publicized, but the details are missing. If investigations turn up only minor problems, then I would draft him as a LT.

bgarcia28 (3/31/2008)
B. Albert is my favorite OL in this draft. However, I don't see us trading up for him. I would suggest that we trade down with either NE or NYJ and pick up an extra second rounder (NE would have to throw in something else to compensate for their low second round slot). In that manner, we will still have one of the top DT's on the board, as well as the top QB and the top OG.

My guess is that we would draft one of the DT's in the first round and use a second rounder to take Nicks. Nicks is supremely athletic. The character concerns have been well publicized, but the details are missing. If investigations turn up only minor problems, then I would draft him as a LT.

I'm fairly certain that Nicks projects to RT at the next level.  I don't think he will ever play LT, but I could be wrong.  I didn't really think much about his off-field incidents, but now I realize that it wasn't just a one-time thing.  A well-respected, former GM, Charlie Casserly (was with Houston when they drafted Mario Williams), said that he would take Nicks off his entire draft board due to his off-field activities. 

BTW, Casserly also said that Chilo Rachal has "maturity" issues.  Just some things to chew on for all.

Scott24Falcs (3/31/2008)
bgarcia28 (3/31/2008)

I'm fairly certain that Nicks projects to RT at the next level.  I don't think he will ever play LT, but I could be wrong.  I didn't really think much about his off-field incidents, but now I realize that it wasn't just a one-time thing.  A well-respected, former GM, Charlie Casserly (was with Houston when they drafted Mario Williams), said that he would take Nicks off his entire draft board due to his off-field activities. 

BTW, Casserly also said that Chilo Rachal has "maturity" issues.  Just some things to chew on for all.

I hadnt heard that it was more than one incident with nicks. that raises a flag for me. as for rachel im interested in how serious that is. but many USC players in the past few years have had maturity probelms: Mike Williams, Dwayne Jarrett, Reggie Bush. The top tier guys that project well to LT are Jake Long, Ryan Clady, Chris Williams, Brandon Albert, Sam Baker, and Anthony Collins. Collins and Clady are the least ready but both have great potential

Matt Ryan - QB

Brandon Albert - LT (granted a risk, but there are a lot of people who think he can play LT)

Carl Nicks - RT

Pat Sims - DT

Sub Cherilus for Nicks (too many character issues) and I love it. Your scenario is one that can very well turn out.

The Albert pick is minimal risk, as he at worst is the best G in the draft and we need one back. For all we know Weiner or OJ is the starter next year at LT, and we plug Albert in at G and go after a LT next year.

I've always loved reading your mocks and what you have to say about the draft, but if we draft Matt Ryan in the first round I would be extremely upset. We already have one overpaid QB on the roster. Ryan is compared to Matt Schaub by his own college coach and is not the kind of Elway, Marino, Favre, etc talent you spend a top 10 pick on. The Matt Ryan reach of 2008 does not need to be done by a team that is truly in the depths of a huge rebuilding project. Ryan would be a better fit for Chicago or Baltimore where they have a good line in place, and a running game to build off of.

I am a huge supporter of Ryan, actually one of the first on the old boards to declare him the best QB of this class, but he is not a top 10 QB. I cannot express this anymore clearly than I already have. Ryan is a great 2nd or 3rd rounder, like Matt Schaub was, but a real reach in the first round. Anyhow, it's good to see you Robb.