Mock Draft

L.Rover

I haven't made one of these in a while, so I thought I would give it a try. I tend to use Rivals.com as my source for rankings and analysis.

r1p3(3)- Jake Long/OT/Michigan

While some say that he is going to be a RT, several scouting reports disagree:

Long is the prototype left tackle. He has an excellent frame, with room to potentially add more bulk. He is a good athlete that slides well laterally in pass protection and can

adjust to athletic edge rushers. In the running game he shows the ability to drive people off the ball, and the ability to block on the move. There isn t much to dislike about Long s game. http://www.footballsfuture.com/2008/prospects/jake_long.html

A good OL combined with a good running game will give us a start in the right direction. I don't expect stellar QB play next season, but I do expect Michael Turner and Jerious Norwood to be productive, and Jake Long will certainly help this.

r2p3(34)- Dan Connor/LB/Penn State

With the rising Curtis Lofton, I think we could see Connor fall a spot or two to this pick. This is a safe pick, as Connor is extremely versatile. He could be our replacement at MLB, or (worst case scenario) if Boley bolts next season in FAcy, Connor could also play OLB.

Penn State has produced some extremely talented LB, and signs point to this being no exception. With next season's class being loaded at MLB, Connor could be our replacement at MLB, or could be move outside as needed.

r2p6(37)- Gosder Cherilus/OT/Boston College

From everything I have read, the Falcons are really high on this guy, and I think he is the perfect match for Jake Long. Between the two of them, they should be able to hold down both OT spots for years to come. While both have questions about LT or RT, we have the opportunity to experiment with both, and after spring practices and pre-season, we should find ourselves with two bookends for our OL.

r2p17(48)- Aqib Talib/CB/ Kansas

There are several CBs that could conceivably be 1st round prospects, but I see guys like Justin King and Aqib Talib falling out of the mix. I chose Talib because of this KR/PR abilities, and because he has really shown the ability to be a shut-down CB opposite Chris Houston. But, should Talib not fall, I see Justin King here, or Reggie Smith, or a guy no one has been talking about- Terrell Thomas, who is perfect for the Cover 2 (should we go there).

r3p5(68)- Andre Woodson/QB/Kentucky

I have a feeling that this pick will be the most hated of the bunch, and I expect a few posters to say "I stopped reading at Woodson". But I really like Woodson, especially in the 3rd round. I seriously question whether he will be available at this pick, but I feel like the Falcons should take this year as an opportunity to fill as many holes as possible, and not be forced to choose a QB if they aren't confident.

Luckily, Woodson falls, and I feel like he fits Mularkey's offense better than any other QB. He put up great numbers at Kentucky, showing consistent improvement all while being extremely efficient. He has arguably the best arm strength, outside of Flacco, and is sturdy in the pocket. Some might say he is too sturdy in the pocket, as he tends to be immobile, but he has shown the athleticism to scramble for the 1st down, if needed.

No most people are wary of Woodson due to his awkward throwing motion. However, this is nothing a good QB coach can't fix. People like to compare a throwing motion in the NFL to that in MLB, but what most people don't realize is that pitcher's change their throwing motion all the time (the Braves are famous for this). John Smoltz completely changed his throwing motion half-way through his career, and he did pretty well, I would say.

All in all, Woodson has as many questions as any other QB in the draft, but certainly not more. He has proven to be an efficient passer, he certainly has the arm strength for the NFL, and he has the potential to be a great pocket-passer. With the improved OL from this draft, Woodson could be groomed for a year and step in next year and be an effective passer.

r4p4(99)- Marcus Harrison/DT/Arkansas

This is a difficult pick, as I see several DTs possibly falling to here (Dre Moore, Red Bryant, Demario Pressley, Frank Okam, Pat Sims), but Marcus Harrison is arguably the most talented. However, he does have some character issues, as he was arrested for drugs before his senior season. I am all for clean-character guys, but I also expect TD & Co. to do their HW, and I feel that this guy could overcome this, and his talent warrants this selection. He is large and athletic, and competed with the best in a tough SEC conference. If we can determine that he is past his issues, this would be a steal pick for us, as he is an extremely talented DT.

r5p3(130)- Kirk Barton/OL/The Ohio State

It seems like we are accumulating Ohio State offensive lineman with the recent addition of two, but like Doug Datish, Barton is extremely versatile. He has been an extremely effective RT in college, but some question whether he has the athleticism to play RT in the NFL. I look for him to be a Tyson Clabo of sorts: he can play OT & OG, and possibly start at any of these positions as well. You can never have enough depth in the NFL, especially on the OL, and Barton has a lot of potential, as well.

r6p6(166)- Adrian Arrington/WR/Michigan

This is a guy that many don't know much about, and I must admit I am guilty as well. I saw a huge game against Florida, but not much else. He is a projected 5th-6th round pick, and the Falcons have arranged a private workout. Depth at WR is a must, and this guy certainly has potential, especially for a late-round pick.

r7p5(197)- Marcus Griffin/FS/Texas

While this Griffin isn't as talented as his brother, he is just as smart. Known for having great positioning, he appears to always know where to be, while his speed and size are a disadvantage. These are the kind of late-round prospects that I like, guys that know how to play but need a system that can take advantage of their talents while helping them overcome their disadvantages. Griffin could be a great cover 2 SS for our team, and certainly a great ST player.

r7p25(217)- Herschel Dennis/RB/USC

This is a guy who came to USC with all the talent in the world, but was always stuck behind one of their stars (most notably Reggie Bush and LenDale White). He never got much of an opportunity, but when he did see the field, he was great. He could be a huge sleeper, and provide depth at RB. For a guy who is an all-round talent at RB, this could be a great pick.

I LOVE all the picks except Harrison. I really don't like the guys with the questionable motors, they tend to not make it in the NFL... but if Harrison can put it all together he could be very good. Another thing, I would like for us to add a pass rusher to spell Abe... but other than that I love it.

First of all I'm kinda worried about getting jake long and gosder cherilus, what happens if jake long isn't good enough at LT? Gosder Cherilus is probably gonna be pro-bowl level so where does jake long go, guard? I like some linebackers better than dan connor, but he's okay I wouldn't really have a problem with the pick. Aqib probably won't be there, I like Terrelle Thomas and isn't Justin King's big knock he plays weak,sounds like a bad match for the zone defense. I really like Andre Woodson for our QB of the future but I don't think he lasts that long. I like Marcus Harrison a bunch, I just didn't have him in my mock because I think we won't get him due to character concerns. I think there our better players than Griffin left around that time.

i dont like harrison or barton but otherwise i like the draft even if some of those guys probably dont drop that far. would love for long and cherilus to occupy de's for years to come. talib would be amazing at 48 but just an idea. move cherilus up to 34, talib to 37, and trevor laws/pat sims at 48

DrDetecto (3/30/2008)
I LOVE all the picks except Harrison. I really don't like the guys with the questionable motors, they tend to not make it in the NFL... but if Harrison can put it all together he could be very good. Another thing, I would like for us to add a pass rusher to spell Abe... but other than that I love it.

I absolutely agree about a pass-rushing DE. In fact, I think we will find a number of incredible DE talents available in the 2nd round (Quentin Groves or Lawerence Jackson, to name two) that might have been 1st round prospects any other year, but this DE class is strong. If we found Groves at our second or third pick in the 2nd round, it would be difficult not to pick him, even if we do have other more pressing needs. I also thought about a guy like Marcus Howard in the 5th, but I think his strong combine might have him overrated, maybe even as far as the 3rd round.

g6773a (3/30/2008)
I don't think Talib will last to #48. And I agree with Detecto that we need to add another pass rusher. I like your 5th through 7th round picks, with the exception of Dennis. My only problem with Dennis is his injury history.

I think that with the rise of McKelvin or Rogers-Cromartie, several CBs are going to pushed down. As I stated, I think guys like Justin King, Talib, Reggie Smith or Antoine Cason could easily fall. We should be in position to select a very good CB. Worst case scenario is Terrell Thomas, who I think is very underrated.

And I understand the concern about Dennis' injury history, but that is why his a 7th round pick. If he can stay healthy, he is a steal. Otherwise, it is just a 7th round pick. That late in the draft, it might be worth the gamble.

jlaw 1500 (3/30/2008)
First of all I'm kinda worried about getting jake long and gosder cherilus, what happens if jake long isn't good enough at LT? Gosder Cherilus is probably gonna be pro-bowl level so where does jake long go, guard? I like some linebackers better than dan connor, but he's okay I wouldn't really have a problem with the pick. Aqib probably won't be there, I like Terrelle Thomas and isn't Justin King's big knock he plays weak,sounds like a bad match for the zone defense. I really like Andre Woodson for our QB of the future but I don't think he lasts that long. I like Marcus Harrison a bunch, I just didn't have him in my mock because I think we won't get him due to character concerns. I think there our better players than Griffin left around that time.

As far as Gosder Cherilus and Jake Long, that is a valid point. If they both struggle at LT, we are stuck with two potential Pro-Bowl RTs. I don't see that happening, because Jake Long as been the top OT for a while now (probably would have been a top 10 pick last year, as well), so I am very confident in this talent. Perhaps a Sam Baker in the 2nd would be a safer pick (he projects more to LT than Cherilus)

I like Curtis Lofton at MLB, although some say he is more of an OLB. Either way, Dan Connor's versatility would be great on this team. He could play all 3 LB positions, and aside from Boley (who we need to remember isn't signed long-term, yet) we could upgrade at the other two. Connor could be a starter from day 1.

Marcus Harrison's character issues also worry me, as I addressed in the mock, but his talent is undeniable. TD & Co. have not left any stone unturned, so I would expect them to do their HW. There should be other 2nd-tier DT available at that pick.

nick h (3/30/2008)
i dont like harrison or barton but otherwise i like the draft even if some of those guys probably dont drop that far. would love for long and cherilus to occupy de's for years to come. talib would be amazing at 48 but just an idea. move cherilus up to 34, talib to 37, and trevor laws/pat sims at 48

I see Trevor Laws going in the 1st round, and Pat Sims in the 3rd. Besides, I made the mock the way I did because I would prefer a LB over a DT, as I feel we have more of a need at MLB position.

If we really felt that Talib wouldn't fall, I would rather take Jerod Mayo at 48 than Sims/Laws. If we don't take Dorsey/Ellis, I would prefer to go into the season with the depth that we have. No sense in collecting average-to-above-average DTs.

Matthew Pritts (3/30/2008)
I don't like the Woodson pick at all, he's gonna be a bust
opinion

And if TD drafts him, he deserves to be shown the door.

Yeah, I'm sure TD doesn't know what he's doing.  You should write him a letter that tells him your expectations of the draft.  I'm sure he'll listen.

Scott24Falcs (3/30/2008)
opinion

Yeah, I'm sure TD doesn't know what he's doing.  You should write him a letter that tells him your expectations of the draft.  I'm sure he'll listen.

Woodson is gonna be a bust b/c of these reasons:

1.His windup. I don't care what anyone says, he's been throwing the football like that since he's beena kid and it's gonna be very hard to break that. He's Leftwich v.2 and b/c of that windup NFL D's are gonna eat him alive.

2.He's inconsistent and makes poor decisions when protection breaks down. He showed it in the UT game this past November.

3. He played in the shotgun most of his career. Beware of QB's who have played in the gun all the way through college.As they have to learn to dropback again and adjust that drop for NFL D's. See Tim COuch.

4.He's a freaking statue back there. He makes Bledsoe look mobile.

And as for your 2nd point, LOL! YOu know how I am. Once I set my mind on something, I'm not budging.

1.His windup. I don't care what anyone says, he's been throwing the football like that since he's beena kid and it's gonna be very hard to break that. He's Leftwich v.2 and b/c of that windup NFL D's are gonna eat him alive.

2.He's inconsistent and makes poor decisions when protection breaks down. He showed it in the UT game this past November.

3. He played in the shotgun most of his career. Beware of QB's who have played in the gun all the way through college.As they have to learn to dropback again and adjust that drop for NFL D's. See Tim COuch.

As I stated in my original post, the delivery isn't an issue. You earlier pointed at baseball pitchers, and I quickly showed you how that isn't the case at all: pitchers change their delivery all the time (mostly in the minor leagues).

The Falcons are blessed with a great QB coach, who did wonders for Vick and his footwork. I would be very interested to see how we could work with Woodson and his delivery, and most scouts have already commented on the improvement throughout the off-season prior to the draft.

As for Leftwich v.2, I don't really understand. While Leftwich wasn't Tom Brady, it was his inability to stay on the field that hurt him, not his desire or ability. Woodson has proven to be durable, and no matter what QB we get back there, we need to build an OL to be successful. From what I have seen/read about Woodson, he is a pure pocket passer, but does have the athletic ability to scramble. You are really underrating him.

I guess I am the only one who is impressed by his record of 325 attempts without an INT.

Woodson is not a guy that we can expect to step in during his first season, but I really don't want it any other way. Woodson has all the intangibles we want to run this offense (or any offense, really), and the potential is there.

I understand that you only like Henne (and Brohm, but I really haven't found anyone who doesn't like Brohm), but your arguments against Woodson aren't legit.

YOu know how I am. Once I set my mind on something, I'm not budging.

Oh, don't worry, everyone on this message board knows that.

L.Rover (3/30/2008)
[As I stated in my original post, the delivery isn't an issue. You earlier pointed at baseball pitchers, and I quickly showed you how that isn't the case at all: pitchers change their delivery all the time (mostly in the minor leagues).

The Falcons are blessed with a great QB coach, who did wonders for Vick and his footwork. I would be very interested to see how we could work with Woodson and his delivery, and most scouts have already commented on the improvement throughout the off-season prior to the draft.

As for Leftwich v.2, I don't really understand. While Leftwich wasn't Tom Brady, it was his inability to stay on the field that hurt him, not his desire or ability. Woodson has proven to be durable, and no matter what QB we get back there, we need to build an OL to be successful. From what I have seen/read about Woodson, he is a pure pocket passer, but does have the athletic ability to scramble. You are really underrating him.

I guess I am the only one who is impressed by his record of 325 attempts without an INT.

Woodson is not a guy that we can expect to step in during his first season, but I really don't want it any other way. Woodson has all the intangibles we want to run this offense (or any offense, really), and the potential is there.

I understand that you only like Henne (and Brohm, but I really haven't found anyone who doesn't like Brohm), but your arguments against Woodson aren't legit.

I'm still not convinced.

I saw him play in person against the Dawgs at Sanford in November and he didn't impress me at all. He got sacked on 2 consecutive plays b/c he couldn't get the ball out. He doesn't understnad the concept of throwing the ball away when pressured, which leads to his bad decisions/inconsistency in the pocket.

And you're still not gonna fix someone's throwing motion that they've had since Pee-Wee ball all that easily if at all, and if you do, it'll probably affect him in a negative way IMO.

And just b/c someone does well against SEC competition, doesn't mean he's gonna be an all-pro. See Tim Couch and Danny Wuerrfel.

I'm not underrating him at all. I see him for what he is, a future 3rd stringer at best if not a flat out bust.

No sell.

I'm still not convinced.

I saw him play in person against the Dawgs at Sanford in November and he didn't impress me at all. He got sacked on 2 consecutive plays b/c he couldn't get the ball out. He doesn't understnad the concept of throwing the ball away when pressured, which leads to his bad decisions/inconsistency in the pocket.

And you're still not gonna fix someone's throwing motion that they've had since Pee-Wee ball all that easily if at all, and if you do, it'll probably affect him in a negative way IMO.

And just b/c someone does well against SEC competition, doesn't mean he's gonna be an all-pro. See Tim Couch and Danny Wuerrfel.

I'm not underrating him at all. I see him for what he is, a future 3rd stringer at best if not a flat out bust.

No sell.

I know we have gone over this, so I don't expect you to suddenly become less ignorant, but THEY DO THIS ALL THE TIME in baseball, so what makes Andre Woodson any different? Every negative you just mentioned is coach-able. We aren't talking about physical disadvantages, just give him a year under a great QB coach and watch his improvement. But I don't expect you to change, just so everyone else has the opportunity to realize that there is another option besides (the worthless) Chad Henne.

Scott24Falcs (3/30/2008)
opinion

And as for your 2nd point, LOL! YOu know how I am. Once I set my mind on something, I'm not budging.

if we got leftwich pre-injury i wouldnt mind because he led jacksonville to the playoffs

Scott24Falcs (3/30/2008)
opinion

1. i dont know how you can ignore the very noticable improvement he made in regards to his mechanics from the senior bowl to his pro day, but you somehow manage to. but he demonstrated that he could improve it.

2. he may not be as consistent as brohm, but he is more consistent than many of the other qbs in this draft. no injury history like henne and a great amount of starting experience, just like henne. and for what its worth, henne has as much trouble with pressure in his face as woodson does, and also has a problem holding onto the ball too long. so what do you say to that?

3. this one is legit i suppose. but as flacco has demonstrated (even though im not high on him) it is very possible to improve your footwork if you have the work ethic to try, and i believe woodson does. but obviously playing in the shotgun so much is not to his advantage.

4. this is the worst one by far. he is much more agile than leftwich and is vastly better at buying more time in the pocket or moving outside if he is forced outside the pocket. hes not a threat to run, but hes no statue. you concocted this in your mind and now youre trying to post it as fact.

totalbirdbrain (3/31/2008)
L.Rover, nice job.

A couple of comments. I'd be surprised if Aqib Talib lasts until 48, but

of course there is considerable depth at Corner so you might be right.

I'd really like to address Defensive Tackle earlier.

All that said, your draft would tremendously improve the Falcons.

DT was the one positions that I really wanted to address earlier, but I felt taking Jake Long over Dorsey/Ellis would be more beneficial, and I also felt that MLB, CB, and an additional OT all did more for our team than a DT would at that same pick. Aside from the very top-heavy elite of the DT class, the 2nd round has little to offer, and we have some decent depth at the position already.

L.Rover (3/30/2008)I know we have gone over this, so I don't expect you to suddenly become less ignorant, but THEY DO THIS ALL THE TIME in baseball, so what makes Andre Woodson any different? Every negative you just mentioned is coach-able. We aren't talking about physical disadvantages, just give him a year under a great QB coach and watch his improvement. But I don't expect you to change, just so everyone else has the opportunity to realize that there is another option besides (the worthless) Chad Henne.
Just b/c it works in baseball doesn't mean it'll work in football.

Still not buying.

I DON'T WANT HIM HERE!

Mr. Offseason (3/31/2008)[

2. he may not be as consistent as brohm, but he is more consistent than many of the other qbs in this draft. no injury history like henne and a great amount of starting experience, just like henne. and for what its worth, henne has as much trouble with pressure in his face as woodson does, and also has a problem holding onto the ball too long. so what do you say to that?

That is not true about Henne at all. His #'s prove that.

Still not buying Woodson.

Matthew Pritts (3/31/2008)

Still not buying.

I DON'T WANT HIM HERE!

Someone needs a lesson in rhetoric.....

First, your argument was that "you don't mess with a pitchers delivery in baseball, so it obviously won't work in football".

Then, once I posted an article on how Smoltz changed his delivery, you changed your argument to "well Smoltz is a freak of nature, Woodson still can't do it"

And now that I have shown that it happens all the time in baseball, you change to "just because pitchers do it, doesn't mean it will work in football"

...............I give up. It is like arguing with a two-year-old who just keeps saying "Why?"

Woodson had a better completion percentage than Henne did their senior seasons (63% to 58%), as well as the year before when Woodson had a completion percentage of 65% versus Henne's 61.9% (which was his career high). (Not to mention that Woodson holds the record for most consecutive completions without an INT.)

If we further compare those two seasons, Woodson threw for 71 TDs & 18 INTs while Henne only threw for 39 TDs and 17 INTs.

Now I can already tell you what Pritts is going to say: "But Henne had a more balanced offense that featured a running game. Henne couldn't throw that many TDs."

While this is a valid point about TDs, what about INTs? How come Woodson threw for 32 more TDs yet only 1 more INT? (And while some may argue that the balanced offense held Henne back, I would argue that it helped Henne, where as defenses knew that Woodson pretty much had to throw the ball each and every time.)

If you want to look past his better numbers, better frame, and better arm strength, then go right ahead. But don't pretend that Henne did more, because he clearly didn't. And all of this without mentioning that Henne went to a football school, whereas Woodson went to a non-football school in a dominant football conference.

L.Rover (3/31/2008)
Woodson had a better completion percentage than Henne did their senior seasons (63% to 58%), as well as the year before when Woodson had a completion percentage of 65% versus Henne's 61.9% (which was his career high). (Not to mention that Woodson holds the record for most consecutive completions without an INT.)

If we further compare those two seasons, Woodson threw for 71 TDs & 18 INTs while Henne only threw for 39 TDs and 17 INTs.

Now I can already tell you what Pritts is going to say: "But Henne had a more balanced offense that featured a running game. Henne couldn't throw that many TDs."

While this is a valid point about TDs, what about INTs? How come Woodson threw for 32 more TDs yet only 1 more INT? (And while some may argue that the balanced offense held Henne back, I would argue that it helped Henne, where as defenses knew that Woodson pretty much had to throw the ball each and every time.)

If you want to look past his better numbers, better frame, and better arm strength, then go right ahead. But don't pretend that Henne did more, because he clearly didn't. And all of this without mentioning that Henne went to a football school, whereas Woodson went to a non-football school in a dominant football conference.

Really great breakdown. Woodson has his fair-share of issues, but by this account he looks lightyears ahead of Henne.

L.Rover (3/31/2008)

Still not buying.

I DON'T WANT HIM HERE!

Someone needs a lesson in rhetoric.....

First, your argument was that "you don't mess with a pitchers delivery in baseball, so it obviously won't work in football".

Then, once I posted an article on how Smoltz changed his delivery, you changed your argument to "well Smoltz is a freak of nature, Woodson still can't do it"

And now that I have shown that it happens all the time in baseball, you change to "just because pitchers do it, doesn't mean it will work in football"

...............I give up. It is like arguing with a two-year-old who just keeps saying "Why?"

Still not taking him.

Give me Henne and Brohm over him anyday of the week.

Good try, though.

Matthew Pritts (4/1/2008)
Still not taking him.

Good try, though.

As usual, you have no response other than pure ignorance.

You always rave about Henne and say "look at the numbers"..... well we did, and Henne loses. If you have some other way of viewing a QB, please share, because Henne has no real reasons to be ranked ahead of Woodson, if we are just looking at numbers.

Woodson > Henne

L.Rover (4/1/2008)
Still not taking him.

Good try, though.

As usual, you have no response other than pure ignorance.

You always rave about Henne and say "look at the numbers"..... well we did, and Henne loses. If you have some other way of viewing a QB, please share, because Henne has no real reasons to be ranked ahead of Woodson, if we are just looking at numbers.

Woodson > Henne

Just my opinion on Woodson.

I think he's gonna be a bust. Nothing will change my opinion unless Woodson himself proves me wrong.

Just my opinion on Woodson.

I think he's gonna be a bust. Nothing will change my opinion unless Woodson himself proves me wrong.

No one is trying to tell you that you can't have an opinion, but what I don't find acceptable is complete disregard of numbers. If you had said something like "aside from Henne's numbers, he is a great prospect", it would be understandable. But instead, you preach about Henne's numbers, I prove that they are inferior to Woodson's numbers in every way, and you say "good try though". It wasn't a try, it was showing facts. It is a fact, as far as numbers go, Woodson is a better prospect. I would love to see you argue that.

Now somewhat aside from numbers, I like Woodson's potential much more. Henne has been dull and consistently mediocre at Michigan over 4 years, while Woodson, in two years, has shown great growth, and even in the off-season has shown the ability to adapt to the NFL game. Henne hasn't shown any improvement since his freshman season. If anything, Henne will be a career back-up, while Woodson shows the potential. I am certainly not calling Woodson a sure-fire prospect, because he is far from it, but his ceiling, in my opinion, is infinitely higher.