trading down to 7th with the patriots.

they have a 1st, 2nd, and two 3rds. they dont have a lot of needs, and seem as of late more inclined to trade picks for vets. if they really want a guy like gholston would chris long be even more attractive? if chris long is there at #3 we should give them a call and make an offer. i would want their second rder to let them move up. they have oaklands 3rd. everyone thinks the jets have targeted gholston and i believe they are right. i know NE needs a CB, they usually get those guys in rd 2-4. they would have two #3's to address that with. we could use our highest and lowest 2nd rders to move back into rd 1 if brohm makes it to they late 20's.

i keep hearing that this draft will be difficult to trade down in, but i'm not so sure i agree with that. some say jake is'nt joe thomas and therefore not worth the third. i agree. most say despite brohms recent ascension he is'nt worth a top 5 pick. if we are willing to take either at 3 and have an opportunity to move down and still get either we should.

At some point the discussion has to turn to "Quality vs Quantity". With 11 picks(includes Kerney comp pic) there is more than enough ammo to fill our positional holes. Now it's time to show some faith in the scouting staff and GM to identify the best targets and choose them in the appropriate slots. The top 3 pick is more than just a player. It is the person who will bring people to the stadium, sell jerseys and hopefully get some games on national TV. With too many bodies in camp, you run the risk of having to try and sneak good players onto the practice squad and expose them to teams like Arizona who can barely afford their own 45 man gameday roster

muskokas finest (3/29/2008)
At some point the discussion has to turn to "Quality vs Quantity". With 11 picks(includes Kerney comp pic) there is more than enough ammo to fill our positional holes. Now it's time to show some faith in the scouting staff and GM to identify the best targets and choose them in the appropriate slots. The top 3 pick is more than just a player. It is the person who will bring people to the stadium, sell jerseys and hopefully get some games on national TV. With too many bodies in camp, you run the risk of having to try and sneak good players onto the practice squad and expose them to teams like Arizona who can barely afford their own 45 man gameday roster

I'll be surprised if we don't trade a pick or two to move up NEXT year.  This isn't a one-year project to fix this thing and I don't look for us to make as many selections this draft as we have picks entering it.

If the Pats move up then I think they find the perfect trading partner in KC.

If J Long is off the board, KC get better Value at 7 for the next OT or If they have fell in love with Matt Ryan then they are still ahead of Baltimore. The Pats get to pick ahead of the Jets if there is a player there they both want.

If Gholston isn't there when the Patriots's pick, Kirwan believes that the Saints want Ellis bad enough to give up a 2nd round pick for him and swap picks with NE.  I have enough respect for Kirwan to think that's a possibility.  NE could then pick up Mendenhall (if he's still around) or the best CB available.

I don't see them trading up.