QB,QB,QB

Superbird99

Does anyone really, really think that AB and TD are going to suffer through a season with 3 backup QBs ? If they draft OL or DL those on this board will be calling AB for interference and TD an inexperienced idiot. In addition, the Dome will be a giant echo chamber. Players like Long and Dorsey et al are great when you have a pretty good team and you need a couple of elite players to push you over the top. When you are in a public relations disaster like the Falcons have experienced, you draft players who can convince people to come to the games until you get the ship righted. Dorsey might be the best player in the draft, but folks are not going to come to the dome to see a defensive lineman, or an offensive lineman. QBs put butts in the seats, linemen do not. There are three NFL QBs in this draft that would suit the Falcons needs. They will all likely be gone in the first round. Beyond these three , you have basically projects and/or backups. The draft is deep in serviceable offensive and defensive linemen that can be taken in rounds 2 through 5 . Drafting a QB with our # 3 pick is not a reach, it is a must. This way we accomplish both goals of shoreing up the O line and getting a starting QB. We already have our power/speed backs in Norwood and Turner. Again, the draft is deep in defensive linemen, with the amount of high draft picks we have, we just might be reasonablly competitive next year.

I think I have addressed the concerns of those who suggest we trade down or draft a QB in a lower round. If you want either of these moves , best you start practicing your moans and whines. AB and TD will like my ideas better than yours.

QBs don't put butts in the seats; winning puts butts in the seats.  The issue is whether we progress closer to respectability by drafting players who make others better (OL, DL for example) or players who won't produce in year one in the best circumstance, let alone one who needs help and support that's not available.  I'd much prefer to have a stud left tackle and nose guard to a QB or CB, because the glamour boys will get torched anyway if we don't.  I don't expect a lot this season other than to see what the future will holds and if we get a second (or third) round QB this year or a first rounder next year, it is what it is.

A team has to go for the franchise quarterback but the problem is this; is there a franchise quarterback in this draft???? Matt Ryan might be or Mark Brohm could be but what does TD think??? If the evaluation is not there, then the team has to look at best player available after Miami and St. Louis make their selection. Is Matt Ryan the qb to build around??? I am not convinced he is.

I don't see empty stadiums in Baltimore, TB, Jacksonville, and Seattle. All of those teams win or have won because of great defenses and their fans love it. And in case someone says Seattle has a QB that people come to see, remember the nickname of "the 12th man" doesn't go to fans that root for the QB during the game.

Guest Gritz
firstngoal (3/29/2008)
A team has to go for the franchise quarterback but the problem is this; is there a franchise quarterback in this draft???? Matt Ryan might be or Mark Brohm could be but what does TD think??? If the evaluation is not there, then the team has to look at best player available after Miami and St. Louis make their selection. Is Matt Ryan the qb to build around??? I am not convinced he is.

Who the **** is Mark Brohm?

FALCONFAN4LIFE (3/29/2008)
stumpjumper (3/29/2008)
90% of this msg board have been calling for us to draft Oline or Dline, I don't think we'll be too upset if he beefs up the trenches.

8% brian brohm

1.5%vernon gholston

.5% matty ryan

I haven't heard of him being taken in the first except on unreal trade ups and downs.

While I agree that a QB can put people in the seats, I don't feel any of the QB's in the draft will be driving this city crazy to see a game. We need to worry more about winning games in the long term than putting people in the seats for the next two years. San Fran got that top QB with horrid lines, and they loose and they loose. David Carr, Joey Harrington, Pennington, and Losman were all top rated QB's who went to teams without players who could help them win. Jax got rid of their first round QB (who we picked up BTW) and Garrard brought them to the playoffs. We need to worry about our lines, because we ignored all of this with Vick here, and while he filled seats, we didn't win very much. Since we don't have a QB with half the talent Vick had in this draft, drafting a QB is just plain stupid in the first round. With all of our 2nds that would be acceptable, but Redman is way more than capable enough to carry this team next year, and to think we should be worrying about filling seats instead of setting this team up to be a long term competitor is just stupid.