Who are the #5 & #6 QBs

Most people have Ryan, Brohm, Flacco, & Henne as the top 4 QBs, but I don't want to talk about them.

Who are the #5 & #6 QBs? Are any of them worth the Falcons looking at, or should we just concentrate on the top 4?

Is there a sleeper QB somewhere in the draft that will surprise people in the Future? Schaub was a late 3rd round pick, and turned into a pretty decent QB. Is there someone we should be looking at later in the draft?

Andre Woodson and Josh Johnson.

Woodson did great things at Kentucky.  He's got good arm strength.  He's big and strong.  You're not going to be able to chance his delivery to be a perfect one, but with a little tweaking and hard work, he could improve drastically.

Josh Johnson has terrific mechanics, has been well-coached, and put up ridiculous numbers (44 TDs to 1 INT!).  His arm-strength is what I'd call average though.  He can run when he has to, but he's a pass-first QB.

Either one of these guys in the 3rd round would be a good pick IMO.  I can't see us waiting that long to address the position, but if we did, those would be my choices.

Erik Ainge QB, Tennessee

Height: 6-5 Weight: 224

40-yard dash: 4.99 10-yard dash:

20-yard shuttle: 4.61 60-yard shuttle:

Broad jump: 8-11 225-lb. bench:

3-cone drill: 7.52 Vertical jump: 22

War Room analysis

Strengths: Is tall; stands strong in the pocket. Is tough; played through a broken finger on throwing hand in '07. Is willing to take big hits to deliver balls. Has a solid arm. Reads defenses quickly and correctly. Shows a nice drop and a quick release. Is accurate on short routes. When striding into throws, also delivers well to intermediate and deep routes. Moves around in the pocket to buy time. Does not panic and force passes into coverage.

Weaknesses: Does not consistently stride into throws, limiting accuracy and zip and allowing defenders to play the ball. Lacks the athleticism to scramble for big plays. Stays upright in the pocket, hindering ability to bend knees and stride into throws with good technique, which takes much zip off passes.

Bottom line: When watching Ainge on film, he is similar to former NFL quarterback Elvis Grbac. Ainge is tall, sets up nicely and shows a quick release to avoid pressure. He is not flashy, but he doesn't make many mistakes, either, which gives him upside as a fine game-managing passer.

-----------------------------------------------

Erik Ainge

Height: 6-51/2 | Weight: 225 | 40-Time: 5.00

Official Bio

Strengths:

Has prototypical size...Arm strength is more than adequate...Displays good touch, timing and accuracy...He sees the field well and knows how to read a defense...Is naturally athletic...Tough and stands tall in the pocket...Productive...A competitor with solid intangibles...Lots of experience against top competition...Still improving.

Weaknesses:

Extremely inconsistent...Durability's a big concern...Gets sloppy with his mechanics and fundamentals...Below average mobility...Does not throw well on the run...Has had his confidence tested..Needs to be developed..Probably a boom or bust type.

Notes:

Uncle, Danny, played in the NBA for over a decade and is currently the director of basketball operations for the Boston Celtics...A four-year starter in the SEC...Has missed action with injuries to his shoulder ('04), neck ('05), ankle ('06) and knee ('07)...Really blossomed as a junior and senior under offensive coordinator David Cutcliffe, who coached both Peyton and Eli Manning...An underrated prospect with starting potential...Has everything that you look for in a pro signal caller physically and could end up being a pleasant surprise if he can show a bit more consistency.

Career Statistics

Year GP Comp Att Yds Comp % TD INT

2004 9 109 198 1,452 55.1% 17 9

2005 8 66 145 737 45.5% 5 7

2006 12 233 348 2,989 67.0% 19 9

2007 14 325 519 3,522 62.6% 31 10

Totals 43 733 1,210 8,700 60.6% 72 35

---------------------------------------------------------

1. Brohm - The best QB in the draft by far, IMO. He is the most consistently accurate of the QBs, and that is the most important skill in my book.

T2. Ryan/Flacco - I don't hate Matt Ryan, I just think he is rated too high. Flacco has the most potential and the strongest arm of any QB in the draft.

4. Henne - I'm not too big on him, but he's been pretty good in the workouts, so I'll put him 4th.

5. Brennan - I still like Brennan alot, probably more than Henne. I don't think he fits what the Falcons want to do, but a team with a spread or WC offense could have themselves a steal.

Kevin O'Connell & Andre Woodson.  Both are projects. 

O'Connell intrigues me. If he is the only QB we select it wouldn't bother me.  He's supposedly a 4th-5th but it wouldn't surprise me if he goes in the 3rd.  Big & tall, great arm, very quick release, throws exceptionally well on the run.  He also has excellent speed for a QB his size and runs very well.  If anybody has any detailed info on him please post it.

Woodson is a huge question mark.  He's got that wierd release and he's to inaccurate for me.  A good NFL QB coach may be able to do something long term with him.

I rank the QBs like this:

1- Brohm (no weaknesses)

2- Woodson (if given time and coached properly)

3- Ryan (could be a good game manager for a short-intermediate passing attack

4- Flacco (questionable football IQ)

5- Johnson (if given time and coached properly, really has all the tools)

6- Henne (reminds me of Harrington, struggles under pressure and is too inconsistent)

7- Booty (same as Henne, with less arm strength)

Personally I think Flacco and Henne are way overrated, Ryan is overrated just not as much as Flacco and Henne, and Woodson and Brohm are way underrated.

DrDetecto (3/29/2008)
I rank the QBs like this:

1- Brohm (no weaknesses)

2- Woodson (if given time and coached properly)

3- Ryan (could be a good game manager for a short-intermediate passing attack

4- Flacco (questionable football IQ)

5- Johnson (if given time and coached properly, really has all the tools)

6- Henne (reminds me of Harrington, struggles under pressure and is too inconsistent)

7- Booty (same as Henne, with less arm strength)

Personally I think Flacco and Henne are way overrated, Ryan is overrated just not as much as Flacco and Henne, and Woodson and Brohm are way underrated.

I agree whole heartedly.

Except you're underrating how overrated Matt Ryan is :P

I think , Ainge is this yrs sleeper  w/a 62.6% comp. and 135 QB rating and 3to1 td-int and against solid compitition. According to this stats he is ahead of Henne. He did good at the Senior Bowl and brought his team from behind to win. Looking at some of his stats showed when he was off that day they still won and with no ints. Tenn. problem wasn't Ainge it the coaches ,starting with the head . Ainge is a good pic as a solid backup with time a starter , just like Schaub , as I see it he's your sleeper . 

allen jones (3/29/2008)
Mike Heuertz (3/29/2008)
when its all said and done i bet JDB is the best QB if he gets in the right system
Mike ,  to say a QB is the best in one type system is just wrong , but if a QB can produce in multiple systems then he would be the better QB .
well i no that....duh lol...