THE CASE FOR VERNON GHOLSTON

magnus23

On the surface this sounds silly.

But before you flame .... hear me out.

I know he is a DE, but what does Gholston buy you that Chris Long doesn't?

OPTIONS

And Mike Smith likes options.

Scenario 1: All Players Healthy

Play Vernon Gholston at MLB ... move Brooking to the weak-side. Nicholas becomes a quality back-up OLB ... something we currently need. Gholston would be the most physically imposing middle linebacker in the history of the NFL. A 270 pound 4.5 running 37 rep pressing 42 inch jumping behemoth at MLB.

Scenario 2: Third and Long

If Anderson does not improve his pass rushing skills ... put Gholston opposite Abe on pass rushing downs ... move Brooking back to the inside ... Nicholas to WSLB.

Scenario 3: Abraham gets hurt.

We are covered. Move Brooking and Nicholas as above.

Scenario 4: Anderson gets hurt or Anderson does not develop as expected....

We are covered. Move Brooking and Nicholas as above. Anderson becomes a high priced back-up.

Scenario 5: Our future UT gets hurt

Now granted at 270 pounds Gholston is a little light to be playing even a three-technique DT ... but his strength is freakish and he weighs only slightly less than Coleman. Gholston has played three-technique. This situation I grant you is not ideal, but it does give you options in a pinch.

Now we cut all of the other DEs on the roster except Davis ... Draft the BPA at DT in the second round and in the fifth .... and re-sign Grady at vet min.

Of course I realize if Dorsey and J. Long are available ... it will be difficult for TD to make this move. But if they are gone .... this may be a creative way to get the most out of our number three pick.

Remember Gholston has played MLB and UT before.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite a guy, that Buckeye. And with the No. 3 pick in the 2008 NFL draft, the Falcons select ... Ohio State defensive lineman Vernon Gholston? Could happen. Buckeyes coach Jim Tressel gives us five things NFL executives and draftnik fans should know about the top prospect: 1. His humility and unselfishness are tremendous, and impressive when you see that attitude in such a physically imposing man. 2. Vernon is an athlete among athletes a modern-day Hercules in every physical component. His workouts have been the stuff of legend. 3. He can tell a story and hold an audience spellbound. Get him started on Bible school stories some time and young and old people are equally captivated. 4. He is one of the most consistent players I've ever coached, and he has maintained that even keel throughout his pro preparation. 5. His big-play ability did a lot of great things for the Buckeyes, and we all thank him. - Jeff D'Alessio, Atlanta Journal Constitution

The Super Freak,

"Gholston went to Ohio State as a linebacker at first, but the coaches switched him to end, where the Buckeyes were thin, after fall camp his freshman year."

Gholston Graduate College in 35 Months

Bigger Ray Lewis= MLB Gholston

gholstonmlbci2.jpg

Well worth 30 million Dollars!

Fastest First Step in the Game!

Gholston can Shed Blockers,

I know most of U Falcon fans have never seen Blocker get Shedded by a MLB,

but he can do it!

Where is Gholston?

Thats what the opposing QB must find out before every Play!

Edit-

Super Athelete Chris Long might have an Slower forty,

but he is a Fire Plug,

Quick enough to handle the Middle, 4.7s

he can get 15 Yards the Quickest of Most if not all the DEs at the Combine!

Plus, He can Fly!

Urlacher 2

t1_long.jpg

Both, will give % 110 even during the offseason, like Kerney!

bigduke633 (3/29/2008)
What does gholston have that Long doesnt?Other than the suggestive pictures.

Read the original post.

Options.

He is fast enough to play MLB. (which he has before)

He is strong enough to plat UT. (which he has before).

Chris Long can not do that.

Hash (3/29/2008)
you do make some **** good points im just lost on what we should do theres so many people in this draft with are picks i cant handle the wait anymore!:w00t:

I think it is something to consider if ... and only if ... Dorsey and J. Long are gone .... and if Mike Smith feels he can assume the MLB position.

I totally agree. Gholston can give us a lot of options and he can mix it up on the defense. People always try and say "well chris long can do it also" sure he can probably play any position ON THE D-LINE but I dont think he will be able to stand up and be linebacker. Gholston can do anything long can do and play in the line backer position as well.

Matthew Pritts (3/29/2008)
If the Falcons draft Gholston, Dimitroff should be fired for gross negligence.
We already have DE locked up, as it's one of the few positions that is actually solid.

And I'm totally against BPA. That's not how you build a team. Now if it's BPA in a position of need and they fit the scheme you're running, then by all means pull the trigger.

But I will start a thread on here calling for TD's head if he draafts Gholston, Woodson, or a 2nd day QB.

We already have DE locked up, as it's one of the few positions that is actually solid.

And I'm totally against BPA. That's not how you build a team. Now if it's BPA in a position of need and they fit the scheme you're running, then by all means pull the trigger.

But I will start a thread on here calling for TD's head if he draafts Gholston, Woodson, or a 2nd day QB.

Apparantly you have not read the original post.

MLB is a NEED.

So is a legit pass rush.

So is stopping the run.

So is depth.

If Dorsey and J. Long are gone ... he makes more sense than C. Long.

While he certainly seems impressive to me on paper, I can't help but get a Renaldo Turnbull vibe off this guy. He was nowhere on draft boards a couple of months ago, and now he's suddenly mentioned in the top five? Did he play another college season since the last one ended?

It just seems like these players who come late to the top of the draft seldom ever pan out. Give me Dorsey. I know what I have in him...

thanat0s (3/29/2008)
While he certainly seems impressive to me on paper, I can't help but get a Renaldo Turnbull vibe off this guy. He was nowhere on draft boards a couple of months ago, and now he's suddenly mentioned in the top five? Did he play another college season since the last one ended?

It just seems like these players who come late to the top of the draft seldom ever pan out. Give me Dorsey. I know what I have in him...

He was always a first round pick, he just moved up in top 5 because of combine. I always thought he was the 2nd best DE even before the combine tho.

malk2.0 (3/29/2008)
thanat0s (3/29/2008)

He was always a first round pick, he just moved up in top 5 because of combine. I always thought he was the 2nd best DE even before the combine tho.

If a guy was in the top five-ten in January, then he's likely legit. Some guy who is rated as a mid-low 1st rounder, or lower, and climbs the charts based on a workout? No thanks. Give me the guys who made it to the top on performance on the field, not in the weight room or on the track...

you might want to think of the name for youre thread cause i think at least a 2nd round qb WILL happen!!

thanat0s (3/29/2008)
malk2.0 (3/29/2008)
thanat0s (3/29/2008)

If a guy was in the top five-ten in January, then he's likely legit. Some guy who is rated as a mid-low 1st rounder, or lower, and climbs the charts based on a workout? No thanks. Give me the guys who made it to the top on performance on the field, not in the weight room or on the track...

I would tend to agree with that, the only problem is he WAS a top performer on the field with almost the exact same stats as Chris Long.

Just think if anderson plays up to his skill level and we get gholston.

#####, we can throw gholston in at UT on some obvious passing downs and have anderson,abe, and gholston all going after the qb. Or use him at a OLB and have him blitz the qb with abe and anderson.