Dorsey may not make it to the #3 pick now.

Rams facing hard decisions for NFL draft

By Bryan Burwell

ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH

03/28/2008

Bryan Burwell

Sports Columnist Bryan Burwell

[More columns]

On the surface, the notion of drawing the second pick in the NFL draft sounds like one of those can't-miss, bulletproof positions any team would love to be in. But looks can be deceiving.

As we draw within a month of the NFL's annual talent lottery, the unsettling draft history of the Rams makes you wonder if they'll turn an ideal situation into a blessing or a curse.

In a draft that is supposedly deep in talent and top-heavy in star quality, theoretically you would think the Rams couldn't go wrong. Yet who knew being No. 2 could be so complicated? Until now, there has been a great debate about not only who will still be there, but also what position player (offensive line, defensive line, running back) makes the most sense. Add to that confusion, the intrigue provided by the Miami Dolphins' new team president Bill Parcells, who traditionally loves being wildly unpredictable and purposely secretive, and you have the sort of volatile mixture of uncertainty that makes you wonder just how many ways things could go wrong for the Rams.

Fortunately, though, there's a new twist that could make the Rams' decision a lot less complicated than anyone could have expected. If LSU's brilliant defensive tackle, Glenn Dorsey, is as healthy as he looked in his Pro Day workout two days ago, Rams executives can stop wondering about what to do with the second pick. If Dorsey has a clean bill of heath and right now it appears that he does the 6-foot-1, 297-pound All-America may have elevated his status to the point where the Rams can't afford to pass him by.

For all the bluffing that Parcells is bound to do over the next three weeks, the reality is, Dorsey does not fit the bulky profile of a 3-4 run-stuffer that Parcells traditionally prefers to anchor his interior line. So unless the Dolphins can trade the pick to a team that desperately craves Dorsey, Miami likely will go after Virginia's defensive end Chris Long. And then the guessing game begins for Rams fans, who have spent the entire winter fretting over what the "new" decision makers at Rams Park will do.

MORE BURWELL

E-mail Bryan Burwell

More Burwell columns

Sound off in Cards Talk

First of all, let's eliminate the one thing they can't do.

It has been said before, but it's worth repeating: It would be beyond idiotic to draft

Darren McFadden unless they're certain he's the next coming of Jim Brown, Barry Sanders and Emmitt Smith all rolled into one. It would be a tremendous waste of a high pick to invest in a running back because they already have a young and frighteningly talented one in Steven Jackson, who just might be the second- or third-best yardage producer in football in this new Al Saunders offense.

So that leaves the Rams with some difficult choices, and at this point in this franchise's history, these are choices they can't afford to blow. That

No. 2 pick better be an immediate starter and the sort of player who quickly becomes a dominant star in the league. If the Rams believe offensive tackle Jake Long is the second-best player in the draft, then they should by all means take him regardless of how many offensive tackles they already have. If they're convinced he's that valuable, he can play guard for a few years until Orlando Pace retires. But from all indications, there's no way Jake Long would be rated higher than a healthy Dorsey on many NFL draft boards.

And after Dorsey's impressive workout in Baton Rouge two days ago, if Dorsey isn't regarded as the Rams' best bet, it can only be because of bad medical evaluations on his healing knees or legs. After that Dorsey workout in front of a building full of NFL coaches, scouts and personnel executives, most of them left breathless, convinced Dorsey had returned to his place as the best athlete in the draft. More than one set of eyes who was at the Dorsey workout said privately that he looked like the kind of player who could become another young Warren Sapp.

The new-look Rams front office under Billy Devaney's rule needs to come out of the box strong, but if you think drafting this high in the first round makes Devaney's job easier, guess again. There are no guarantees in the draft, particularly at that second pick. Over the past six drafts, the No. 2 position has provided a mix of hits (Julius Peppers, Calvin Johnson, Reggie Bush, Ronnie Brown) and colossal misses (Robert Gallery, Charles Rogers).

Blessing or curse? One month to go until we find out.

Scott24Falcs (3/28/2008)
The worst-case scenario for us IMO would be Chris Long and Glenn Dorsey going 1 and 2.

And that is not even that bad because then we can pick Jake Long, and we have to hope that he is as good of a left tackle as some people say he is.

On the other hand, if the Long's go one and two...then we take Glenn Dorsey and hope that he is as healthy as he says he is.

"But from all indications, there's no way Jake Long would be rated higher than a healthy Dorsey on many NFL draft boards."

Yup.

As an aside, anyone thinking it would be overkill for us to draft a DE needs to look at the Rams right now. They're talking about taking Dorsey despite the fact that they drafted two fine DTs last year. There's plenty of snaps to go around. Passing on talent is always a bigger mistake.

jidady (3/28/2008)
"But from all indications, there's no way Jake Long would be rated higher than a healthy Dorsey on many NFL draft boards."

Yup.

As an aside, anyone thinking it would be overkill for us to draft a DE needs to look at the Rams right now. They're talking about taking Dorsey despite the fact that they drafted two fine DTs last year. There's plenty of snaps to go around. Passing on talent is always a bigger mistake.

Yes, but you forgot that Carriker can be moved outside, which is undoubtably what they will do. So, there is a big difference there because we do not have any DE's that can be moved inside with any sucess.

jidady (3/28/2008)

Yup.

Like I've said, if the Falcons draft C.Long at 3 it'll be  awasted and I want Dimitroff out the door right then and there.

Matthew Pritts (3/28/2008)
jidady (3/28/2008)

Yup.

Like I've said, if the Falcons draft C.Long at 3 it'll be  awasted and I want Dimitroff out the door right then and there.

Chris Long=wasted pick????

You fail.

Scott24Falcs (3/28/2008)
jidady (3/28/2008)

Yup.

Like I've said, if the Falcons draft C.Long at 3 it'll be awasted and I want Dimitroff out the door right then and there.

You fail.

I agree that there is no way that someone as good as Long could possibly be a wasted pick...but honestly we don't need him...unless he could move inside but I don't think that he has the strength.

I would be more partial to drafting Gholston because he has amazing versitility. I heard he can also play Mike.

Josh Affonso (3/28/2008)
Scott24Falcs (3/28/2008)
jidady (3/28/2008)

Yup.

Like I've said, if the Falcons draft C.Long at 3 it'll be awasted and I want Dimitroff out the door right then and there.

You fail.

I agree that there is no way that someone as good as Long could possibly be a wasted pick...but honestly we don't need him...unless he could move inside but I don't think that he has the strength.

I would be more partial to drafting Gholston because he has amazing versitility. I heard he can also play Mike.

Just about every scout/analyst I've seen have said that Chris Long is by far the most versatile player in the draft, even more so than Gholston.

As far as the strength to move inside, I disagree.  I think he has plenty of strength to play the UT position.  He would be utilized in the same fashion that Justin Tuck is. 

He would be on the field every play, whether it be at DE, UT, or OLB. 

I feel that Long is a better overall player than Gholston.  Sure Gholston has some ridiculous measurables, but as far as a more sound player, I like Long.

Scott24Falcs (3/28/2008)
jidady (3/28/2008)

Yup.

You fail.

LMAO :w00t::w00t::w00t:

I think they go Gholston or Jake Long, honestly....They already have two fine young dt's.....and no fine young de's....Is the difference between Gholston and Dorsey so large that they would force Carriker outside, make him lose 20 pounds(bear in mind, he's injured right now), just so they can play Dorsey inside? I think a gholston/Carriker combination at de/ut looks better than a Carriker/Dorsey combination, especially from a passrush situation. Carriker has shown no proof he can play outside in the 4-3 and be a good DE...while he has shown to be a talented 3 technique.

As long as we can get either the best DT or the best OT in the draft I will be satisfied.  For the schemes we are gonna be running both Dorsey and Jake Long will be great fits. 

As for those on the Chris Long bandwagon, We would have quite a bit of money tied up at DE.  Abe signed a $55million dollar deal.  Jamaal got a lot of loot too.  Chauncey Davis is good enough to start on a lot of teams.  Between the fact that we are already well stocked, and have an incredible amount of money tied up in that position, using our #3 and paying $45million plus on another DE is just crazy.

If the Rams don't take Gholston, they deserve to keep losing. 

Two areas they absolutely stunk at last year were pass rushing and o-line.  I don't have the numbers in front of me right now, but if I recall correctly the Rams didn't have a single person with more than TWO sacks last year.  They simply don't have an elite pass rusher... and they are facing the same problem with their o-line that Kansas City has already gone through.

Vernon Gholston or Jake Long will be called at #2 unless the Rams trade down.

Scott24Falcs (3/28/2008)
Meh....I'm not a big fan of Jake Long, but I understand the logic behind picking him.

Same here... which is why I've relegated myself to being content if we do end up taking him.  He may not be worth the #3 overall pick as a LT, but it's not like he wouldn't make us a lot better on the o-line.... even if he does end up moving, he'll be better than anyone we already have.

Hey, Faneca is making 8 million a year at Guard.  If Long becomes a probowl RT he is worth the pick.  He is a difference maker in the running game and an excellent pass blocker.  The fact he gave up 2 sacks is being overblown.  Giving up one sack to Vernon Gholston is nothing to be ashamed of.

maxatlanta (3/29/2008)
Hey, Faneca is making 8 million a year at Guard.  If Long becomes a probowl RT he is worth the pick.  He is a difference maker in the running game and an excellent pass blocker.  The fact he gave up 2 sacks is being overblown.  Giving up one sack to Vernon Gholston is nothing to be ashamed of.

Pro Bowl RTs don't really exist.  99% of the time, every OT selected to the Pro Bowl is a left tackle.

They don't do it specifically by position... they just have slots for "Offensive Tackle" and everyone votes for the usual suspects like Pace, Ogden, Jones, etc.

His performance and translation as a left tackle has been very hotly debated on here and it's not something I even care to discuss anymore.  Some people just want an OT - any OT - to be our 1st round pick and that's all there is to it.

maxatlanta (3/29/2008)
Hey, Faneca is making 8 million a year at Guard. If Long becomes a probowl RT he is worth the pick. He is a difference maker in the running game and an excellent pass blocker. The fact he gave up 2 sacks is being overblown. Giving up one sack to Vernon Gholston is nothing to be ashamed of.

It was 2 sacks in 4 years, so that ain't bad.

jidady (3/28/2008)

Yup.

That's why I think that, while they might toy with the idea of taking Dorsey, they have tons of holes to fill as well, and while they might not take Jake Long with that pick because of their reported glut at OT, DE would seem the more likely pick for them, whether that's Chris Long or Gholsten.

Personally, I'm not sold on the idea that Matt Ryan isn't going to be the #1 overall choice by Miami. If not him, then Jake Long would make alot of sense for them. I'm just not convinced that Chris Long represents  such a great value to the Fins, when they have more holes to fill than we do, as hard to believe as that is...