Bill Maher says what I have been sayin....

Dhug

Ah, Bill Maher, the Poster Boy of Liberalism.  Apparently being a liberal means spending every waking moment with a spikey rod sideways up your butt. What a miserable guy.

I used to really like him, too, until he got too lazy to be a comedian and someone dropped him on his head,  or otherwise convinced him that he knows EVERYTHING IN THE UNIVERSE. 

To say all catholics are conservative republicans is a terribly incorrect generalization.  Most I know are middle of the road democrats.  Being catholic myself, I know quite alot of them.  My catholic in-laws are seething left-wingers.  I agree that the catholic church has had it's share of scandal.  However, this is a small minority of a very large group of people.  I would wager if you took a sampling of 100 catholic priests you wouldn't find any more priests with ##### tendancies than if you took 100 people off of the street.  It just gets made so much more of because of their position in communities and the trust people put into them.  I agree the coverup actions were bad.  But the church has historically always tried to fix from the inside out and not the outside in.  It is, afterall, it's own entity.  Either way, in this case, Bill Maher is way off base, and protraying all catholics to be Hannitized republicans.... this is way way off base.  Being religious and pro-life does not a republican make.  There are many many ideals within the liberal point of view that also speak to catholics.  Like welfare programs,  socialized medicine,  And other such bleeding heart kind of causes.  These things are at the heart of alot of Catholic america.

The Catholic church is one of the largest, if not the largest, charitable giving organizations in the world.  You wouldn't believe the things I've seen people do for others since joining the Catholic faith. Most priests and devout catholics are great people who do alot for their communities.

heh, apparently you can't say p e d o p h i l e on this message board.   

octoslash (3/28/2008)
Ah,BillMaher,the Poster Boy of Liberalism. Apparently being a liberal means spending every waking moment with a spikey rod sideways up your butt. What a miserable guy.

miserable guy? what are you talking about?

I like bill maher. Hes just a little to much into this left wing right wing #####. Both left and right are basically the same now and he doesnt get it.

I loved when he brought up how hillary and obama both say they will bring the troops home when in reality they dont want to bring them all home.

It is simplistic reasoning like this that gives Liberal "Thinkers" a bad name. If Maher were a just 1/10th as bright as his arrogant azz believes himself to be, he could really add something in debating the problems faced by America today........but unfortunately for us all, he's a just a run of the mill fuc*ing idiot.

No One within the Catholic Church approves of what these despicable men did. I have no idea why Cardinal Law covered for these monsters, and I do think he committed an egregious sin by doing so, no one has linked the Pope to partaking in any cover up, these moves were under Cardinal Law's purview. Only dimwitted haters like Maher make this contention, but let us say it were true, it is still only the man's insufferable arrogance and idiocy that would have him suggest that Catholics should abandon the Church because of it. Cardinal Law, these scumbag pedophiles, and even the Pope are mere men. The Catholic Church is bigger than any man, it was founded by Peter on the orders of Jesus Christ, a corrupt man inside cannot contaminate the goodness and virtue of the Church and its message.

If we were talking about a particular church were in the priest of that church was delivering racist and vile messages to his congregation, or if he himself were a child molester, I certainly would not remain in that church. I would first call the police if I was aware of any crimes being committed, but if it were just the hateful message I would most certain find another CATHOLIC Church to attend with a good priest, which 99.99999999% of them are.

The fact that you thought this drivel was a good "gotcha" to put on here does not speak too well of your rational and ability to apply any sort of critical thinking to a subject. I mean it seems that even DeathDawg saw this article for the crap that it was. If you are going to let someone else do your thinking for you in the future, at least don't choose a simpleton like Bill freaking Maher as that guy.

DeathDawg, that line was not meant as an insult (at least not much of one), no offense meant

Dhug (3/28/2008)

I guess some of you have never seen Real Time or perhaps one of his stand ups?

He joking!!!!!!

Yes, he is making a political point, but it's wrapped in a monologue joke!!!

Don't take things so literally......k?

Nope. I have seen both, and it only strengthens my opinion that Maher is a piece of crap, and if you think he is only joking (and I never thought I would say this to anyone) watch him again and listen to his vitriol. He is in no way joking, he really is just that stupid.

silentbob1272 (3/28/2008)

It is simplistic reasoning like this that gives Liberal "Thinkers" a bad name.

so you are taking the words of one man or perhaps a few and attaching it to all of liberal thinkers while at the same time getting upset about somebody else taking actions of a select number of priests and applying it to all of Catholics. excellent!

so it's only okay to lump people together when you want to do it, right? I hear ya.

If Maher were a just 1/10th as bright as his arrogant azz believes himself to be, he could really add something in debating the problems faced by America today........but unfortunately for us all, he's a just a run of the mill fuc*ing idiot.

you should watch his show sometime. their debates will be the best debates you will see about the issues on tv. Maher and HBO, unlike the cable news channels, don;t usually debate with the "who ever yells the loudest or says shut up the most wins" rule in effect.

No One within the Catholic Church approves of what these despicable men did. I have no idea why Cardinal Law covered for these monsters, and I do think he committed an egregious sin by doing so, no one has linked the Pope to partaking in any cover up, these moves were under Cardinal Law's purview.
there are thousands of cases that have been reported. Possibly hundreds of cover ups. Obviously, if people didn't approve, they sure didn't make it very well known.
Only dimwitted haters like Maher make this contention, but let us say it were true, it is still only the man's insufferable arrogance and idiocy that would have him suggest that Catholics should abandon the Church because of it. Cardinal Law, these scumbag pedophiles, and even the Pope are mere men. The Catholic Church is bigger than any man, it was founded by Peter on the orders of Jesus Christ, a corrupt man inside cannot contaminate the goodness and virtue of the Church and its message.

And from what I have read and seen Trinty and Rev Wright are much bigger than a few minutes of soundclips. Decades of helping out their community, giving people hope and teaching about the message of Jesus. A few stupid quotes cannot contaminate the goodness and virtue of Wright's body of work. or can it? and if so, does that also make those who think that way "dimwits" as you put it? :)

If we were talking about a particular church were in the priest of that church was delivering racist and vile messages to his congregation, or if he himself were a child molester, I certainly would not remain in that church. I would first call the police if I was aware of any crimes being committed, but if it were just the hateful message I would most certain find another CATHOLIC Church to attend with a good priest, which 99.99999999% of them are.

A particular church or priest? Maybe like Alan Placa, who was Rudy Giuliani's(Hannity's man) priest....who seems to have a serious problem with touching little boys....and who still works for Rudy? Like that kind of particular?

The fact that you thought this drivel was a good "gotcha" to put on here does not speak too well of your rational and ability to apply any sort of critical thinking to a subject. I mean it seems that even DeathDawg saw this article for the crap that it was. If you are going to let someone else do your thinking for you in the future, at least don't choose a simpleton like Bill freaking Maher as that guy.

You really like to throw out insults towards people. I have noticed that about you. You have insulted me several times in this very post and you even insult another poster as if you are suggesting that he is usually you stupid to have rational thoughts.

DeathDawg, that line was not meant as an insult (at least not much of one), no offense meant

this reminds of Simon Cowell when he does something like this:

"I'm not tryin to be rude..........but you really suck at singing and you like like a piece of crap and I am sure you hate your life."

yeah silentbob1272.......throw an insult towards somebody and then tell them not to be insulted. if only we could all be a serious and levelheaded debater like you. if only.....

Dhug (3/28/2008)

I guess some of you have never seen Real Time or perhaps one of his stand ups?

He joking!!!!!!

Yes, he is making a political point, but it's wrapped in a monologue joke!!!

Don't take things so literally......k?

Nope. I have seen both, and it only strengthens my opinion that Maher is a piece of crap, and if you think he is only joking (and I never thought I would say this to anyone) watch him again and listen to his vitriol. He is in no way joking, he really is just that stupid.

and you continue to insult people and call them names. do you think that just might strengthen one's opinion of you? if so, in what way?

octoslash (3/28/2008)
Ah, Bill Maher, the Poster Boy of Liberalism.  Apparently being a liberal means spending every waking moment with a spikey rod sideways up your butt. What a miserable guy.

I used to really like him, too, until he got too lazy to be a comedian and someone dropped him on his head,  or otherwise convinced him that he knows EVERYTHING IN THE UNIVERSE. 

Agreed

malk2.0 (3/28/2008)
dirtybird3245 (3/28/2008)
Malk, what's up #####

Where you been? :P

I been around... I had to make a new sn because birdweiser got me banned last season for like the whole **** season. lol

Was it on the old forum?

Because I got banned on that forum too, you can log into the new forum with a banned login :P

Dhug (3/28/2008)

It is simplistic reasoning like this that gives Liberal "Thinkers" a bad name.

so you are taking the words of one man or perhaps a few and attaching it to all of liberal thinkers while at the same time getting upset about somebody else taking actions of a select number of priests and applying it to all of Catholics. excellent!

so it's only okay to lump people together when you want to do it, right? I hear ya.

Read again, or have someone read it to you (Uh'oh nother insult) I said it is this type of simplistic reasoning that gives Liberal Thinkers a bad name. That in no way equates to all Lib thinkers are stupid. I guess you could find the "" offensive if you really, really tried.

If Maher were a just 1/10th as bright as his arrogant azz believes himself to be, he could really add something in debating the problems faced by America today........but unfortunately for us all, he's a just a run of the mill fuc*ing idiot.

you should watch his show sometime. their debates will be the best debates you will see about the issues on tv. Maher and HBO, unlike the cable news channels, don;t usually debate with the "who ever yells the loudest or says shut up the most wins" rule in effect.

Oh, i have watched and if you think 5 libs gang raping what ever 1 poor ideological opponent is on that week constitutes "the best debates you will see" I urge you to look a bit harder for good debate.

that said Tony Snow still kicked the crap out of Maher and his lib posse the week he was on.

No One within the Catholic Church approves of what these despicable men did. I have no idea why Cardinal Law covered for these monsters, and I do think he committed an egregious sin by doing so, no one has linked the Pope to partaking in any cover up, these moves were under Cardinal Law's purview.
there are thousands of cases that have been reported. Possibly hundreds of cover ups. Obviously, if people didn't approve, they sure didn't make it very well known.

Really, so you have never heard of Catholic Priests who are p e d o p h i l e s? Yea, that is quite the secret being kept there. Obviously no one ever made that known. :crazy:

Only dimwitted haters like Maher make this contention, but let us say it were true, it is still only the man's insufferable arrogance and idiocy that would have him suggest that Catholics should abandon the Church because of it. Cardinal Law, these scumbag pedophiles, and even the Pope are mere men. The Catholic Church is bigger than any man, it was founded by Peter on the orders of Jesus Christ, a corrupt man inside cannot contaminate the goodness and virtue of the Church and its message.

Way to cut the quote off right before I address this point.....see below. I've argued this point ad nauseum, and do not care to again, I think Wright is racist and Obama knew what he was.....you think the opposite.....fair enough???

And from what I have read and seen Trinty and Rev Wright are much bigger than a few minutes of soundclips. Decades of helping out their community, giving people hope and teaching about the message of Jesus. A few stupid quotes cannot contaminate the goodness and virtue of Wright's body of work. or can it? and if so, does that also make those who think that way "dimwits" as you put it? :)

A particular church or priest? Maybe like Alan Placa, who was Rudy Giuliani's(Hannity's man) priest....who seems to have a serious problem with touching little boys....and who still works for Rudy? Like that kind of particular?

Finally one that I agree with you on, this is just another, in the laundry list of reasons that I do not like Giuliani.....no excuse, no reason for it. Placa is a even bigger pos than Maher, and that is saying something.

You really like to throw out insults towards people. I have noticed that about you. You have insulted me several times in this very post and you even insult another poster as if you are suggesting that he is usually you stupid to have rational thoughts.

What I said about you, I meant. You applied no amount of thought to this article, you saw something that you thought showed hypocrisy regarding Obama and then tripped over your own feet in your rush to come here and vomit it out like it was reasoned and critical thought. Its pathetic, take that however you want to take it. What I said to DeathDawg was a joke, which I I thought I made clear, granted I did not spell the joke out, which may explain why you did not get it. I will concede it was not that funny, but I and several posters take shots at each other quite often....at least on my end, its meant in jest.

this reminds of Simon Cowell when he does something like this:

"I'm not tryin to be rude..........but you really suck at singing and you like like a piece of crap and I am sure you hate your life."

see above

yeah silentbob1272.......throw an insult towards somebody and then tell them not to be insulted. if only we could all be a serious and levelheaded debater like you. if only.....

:crying::crying::crying:

It is simplistic reasoning like this that gives Liberal "Thinkers" a bad name. If Maher were a just 1/10th as bright as his arrogant azz believes himself to be, he could really add something in debating the problems faced by America today........but unfortunately for us all, he's a just a run of the mill fuc*ing idiot.

No One within the Catholic Church approves of what these despicable men did. I have no idea why Cardinal Law covered for these monsters, and I do think he committed an egregious sin by doing so, no one has linked the Pope to partaking in any cover up, these moves were under Cardinal Law's purview. Only dimwitted haters like Maher make this contention, but let us say it were true, it is still only the man's insufferable arrogance and idiocy that would have him suggest that Catholics should abandon the Church because of it. Cardinal Law, these scumbag pedophiles, and even the Pope are mere men. The Catholic Church is bigger than any man, it was founded by Peter on the orders of Jesus Christ, a corrupt man inside cannot contaminate the goodness and virtue of the Church and its message.

I think what he is doing is almost the same as what people have done to Obama and his pastor.

The Catholic Church is bigger than any man, it was founded by Peter on the orders of Jesus Christ, a corrupt man inside cannot contaminate the goodness and virtue of the Church and its message.

Trinity church has done MUCH good and virtue and people expect Obama to drop the entire church for the controversial words from a single man. The church is bigger than that one man, they have been a blessing to a very poor community in chicago.

It is wrong to diminish the entire catholic church because of the actions or words of a couple of leaders, it is also wrong to diminish Obama for sticking with a church that has done much good, in spite of a few controversial words by it's leader. Throwing either church under the bus for the actions of a MAN, a human, is irrational.

Bill Maher likes to use shocking analogies, just like Hannity and Glenn Beck from the other direction. But just like Hannity and Beck ONCE in a while mix a little common sense in, Bill can hit on some good points... I just happen to dislike this point, whether using irony or hate it was out of line. I would like to see the whole clip to get a better perspective.