GBN says Brohm is back

67camaro

# March 28 (12:01 AM): Didn t you used to be??? One of the more intriguing questions of the run-up to the 2008 draft has been whatever happened to Louisville QB Brian Brohm? It wasn t all that long ago that Brohm was considered to be a potential top 5-10 pick at this year s draft, but had been in something of a free-fall in recent weeks. Indeed, there were rumblings that Brohm could even possibly slip out of this year s opening round. Teams like Miami and Atlanta, for example, with big needs at QB but expected to go in other direction with their opening round picks were generally thought to be looking at QBs like Chad Henne of Michigan or Delaware s Joe Flacco with nary a mention of Brohm. And Brohm s pro day at Louisville earlier this week got very little national attention. After a very strong peformance at his on-campus workout, though, Brohm appears to be back. The 232-pound Brohm reportedly ran a quick 4.6 in the 40 and then reportedly really lit it up during passing drills. For good measure, Brohm even measured in at almost 6-3.5, almost a full half inch taller than had been previously thought. During his workout, Brohm threw 60-65 passes in the process showing excellent accuracy and touch as well as plenty of arm strength as he made all the throws. One scout in attendance reportedly described Brohm performance as textbook brilliant . And that apparently has NFL teams taking notice again. Brohm, for example, will workout privately for Atlanta, which has the third pick overall, next week, while he has already worked out for Seattle and the Jets and will work out with Tampa Bay later tody. Meanwhile, Brohm also has private meetings scheduled with Baltimore and Minnesota, a pair of teams in dire need of a franchise quarterback which have the which pick 8th and 17th respectively next month.

Here is the points for our picks

R-1#3-2200

R-2#34-570

R-2#37-540

R-2#48-430

R-3#68-250

R-4#99-104

Now some say it cost to much to move up into round one, but not as much as some think.

#34+#37=14th pick in the draft, and remember you are NOT giving up TWO draft picks you are only given up ONE, because you are getting ONE back.

#37+#48=17th pick in the draft

#34+#48=16th pick in the draft

Right now we have 6 picks in the first 99 picks I think we can give up one pick to get Brohm.

You could have Dorsey, and Brohm, and still have 3 picks in the top 99 to get a OT,CB, and MLB if you want.

ALSO remember we may get a 3rd round comp pick for Kerney.

If Dimitroff and Smith believe that Brohm is the ideal QB for this team, Brohm should be our first pick. We can do it after trading down once, but we should not play games by hoping to move back into the first round. Brohm is a first round QB. Mocks that include him as a second rounder are just fantastic wishful thinking by Falcon fans.

The QB is the single most important position on a team. Whether the choice is Ryan or Brohm or whoever, the position is vital. In my eyes, Ryan and Brohm are the best in this draft. It all comes down to fit for the offense. I prefer Brohm simply because I feel that he is the most prepared to run a team from day one. I have been wrong about QB's in the past, so Ryan could be the best fit for us.

If, however, neither QB is considered special, then we should draft DT or OT in the first and go after a QB in the second round.

bgarcia28 (3/28/2008)
If Dimitroff and Smith believe that Brohm is the ideal QB for this team, Brohm should be our first pick. We can do it after trading down once, but we should not play games by hoping to move back into the first round. Brohm is a first round QB. Mocks that include him as a second rounder are just fantastic wishful thinking by Falcon fans.

The QB is the single most important position on a team. Whether the choice is Ryan or Brohm or whoever, the position is vital. In my eyes, Ryan and Brohm are the best in this draft. It all comes down to fit for the offense. I prefer Brohm simply because I feel that he is the most prepared to run a team from day one. I have been wrong about QB's in the past, so Ryan could be the best fit for us.

If, however, neither QB is considered special, then we should draft DT or OT in the first and go after a QB in the second round.

But could we justify the Brohm pick if Matt Ryan is still on the board?

Whether or not your personally like Brohm better, for the #1 QB to be on the board (and some say the #1 player overall), and to pass on Ryan for Brohm would be a bit odd.

Most people don't realize that Brohm was the number one QB coming out this year. It was only until later that Matt Ryan became the number one. But to me they are both a gamble. I just don't see the falcons taking any of them. They will go in the first round. Falcons won't get a QB until the second. Unless a trade is made with Dallas. And only then they might try to get Brohm. JMO..

It is at that point where all pro day workouts have to be questioned?  Did Brohm grow 1/2inch since the combine and cut .25sec off his 40 time?  How do these writers expect us to take them seriously when they say things like "For good measure, Brohm even measured in at almost 6-3.5, almost a full half inch taller than had been previously thought." 

How am I supposed to believe the rest of the stuff in this article if the source doesn't have the sense to recognize that his hieght was measured at the combine and if it is inflated here then that puts the rest of the info in question as well.

BadBunch (3/28/2008)
Most people don't realize that Brohm was the number one QB coming out this year. It was only until later that Matt Ryan became the number one. But to me they are both a gamble. I just don't see the falcons taking any of them. They will go in the first round. Falcons won't get a QB until the second. Unless a trade is made with Dallas. And only then they might try to get Brohm. JMO..

Exactly, he was the number one.  It was his performance on the field that caused him to lose that spot.  He simply didn't look consistent and had a few bad games against weak competition.

True. But sometimes teams have a bad year. Matt Ryan had 19 INT's.. But he's number one? lol. People try to compare that to Marino's year when he came out. You can't do that. Matt just might be a bust. They both might be. You just never no. But I don't see the falcons taking a QB in the first unless the trade happens.

maxatlanta (3/28/2008)
BadBunch (3/28/2008)

Exactly, he was the number one.  It was his performance on the field that caused him to lose that spot.  He simply didn't look consistent and had a few bad games against weak competition.

Brohm's drop is because of the Matt Ryan hype. Because Louisville was so bad defensively, they got very little attention as the season went on. On the other hand, Matt Ryan was the media darling all season.

I love how scouts use the fact that he had no talent around him as a reason for throwing 19 INTs and having a low CMP%. They say "he was just trying to make plays." Since when has forcing the ball in any situation been acceptable?

You Brohm fans are going to be disappointed if your team drafts him and you get a first hand look at his mediocre talent.  He will likely be a 10 year vet with more of those years as a back up than a starter.  He can't carry a team, he needs to be surrounded by talent.  It was not just one bad game.  He looked bad in all the games I mentioned before.

maxatlanta (3/28/2008)
You Brohm fans are going to be disappointed if your team drafts him and you get a first hand look at his mediocre talent.  He will likely be a 10 year vet with more of those years as a back up than a starter.  He can't carry a team, he needs to be surrounded by talent.  It was not just one bad game.  He looked bad in all the games I mentioned before.

I've watched Brohm play in many games, clearly you haven't.

Scott24Falcs (3/28/2008)
maxatlanta (3/28/2008)

I've watched Brohm play in many games, clearly you haven't.

Took the words right out of my mouth, Scott.