On "overpaying" for Brian Brohm

Some weeks back, a cotter pin which secured a wheel nut on my lawn tractor broke.  Going to Lowe's, I discovered to replace the pin I had to purchase a pack of five pins for $1.50, plus tax.  I only needed one pin and am unlikely to use the other four pins, so I effectively paid $1.50 for a simple cotter pin.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Did I overpay for the cotter pin I replaced in the wheel?  Many would say so, since it is doubtful the pin's manufacturing and distribution costs were even close to $.30, never mind $1.50.  However, there was no adequate substitute available and the pin was necessary to secure the wheel to the tractor's axel.  Bottom line was I could not operate my tractor (certainly not safely) without the pin.  Overpriced or not, I needed that cotter pin now, and so I (grudgingly) paid the package price.

Yes, the analogy is not exact, but still - would the Falcons be unjustified to use the #3 pick to select Brian Brohm, QB, <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Louisville?  Unless you really do believe that either Harrington, Redman, or Shockley is the "answer," that the Falcons need a quality quarterback to groom for the future is undeniable.  (And if you are so delusional as to think Vick is coming back, don't even talk to me.)  Brohm, in my august opinion, is the best QB available now, and the Falcons need a skilled QB now.  Brohm is not going to drop to the second round; it's possible that the Chiefs may pick him at #6.  In any case, I doubt Brohm will last pass the #22 pick (currently the Cowboys) - some team will undoubtedly be willing to trade up at or before that point to pick Brohm.

If the Falcons truly believe Brohm is the best quarterback, then use the #3 pick and be done with it.  Not doing so makes as much sense as my letting a $1800 lawn tractor sit useless because I was too cheap to pay $1.50 for a cotter pin.

Are we still paying for Vick's contract?  How about Byron?  How about Joey from when we cut him the first time?

If we get ANY QB at #3 how much will we be paying them in guarenteed money?

How long is Vick's cap hit going to stay in our books? 

If we get a QB at #3 we are going to have a BIG ammount of "real" and "dead" money of our salary cap to ONE position. 

That's going to create problems building a complete team.... didn't we have the same problem with Vick.

I understand what everyone is saying but you have to realize WE are not in the same position when it comes to QB's that any other team in the NFL has ever been through. 

We had the franchise QB... We made him the highest paid player in NFL history... he's not going to play for us... but he's still on the roster and still counting against our cap... and will be for a few more years.

It would be like drafting the #1 overall pick as a QB and then doing it again 4 years later but keeping BOTH QB's on your roster for their original price...

if two lawn tractors parked end to end started driving in opposite directions for one hour at 30 MPH how many miles will they have travelled? i would have asked to speak to the manager, i would have been like, "WHAT KIND OF SCAM ARE YOU RUNNING HERE? YOUR SELLING THESE ITEMS IN BULK SO THAT YOU CAN MAKE FIVE TIMES THE PROFIT!!!" i would have been irate. next i would have called the corporate office and complained until they offered to send me a gift card for $1.20. you cant let these big wig corporations steam roll over you like a door mat. give me the name of that manager and i'll take care of it for you. 

buddrick (3/27/2008)
if two lawn tractors parked end to end started driving in opposite directions for one hour at 30 MPH how many miles will they have travelled? i would have asked to speak to the manager, i would have been like, "WHAT KIND OF SCAM ARE YOU RUNNING HERE? YOUR SELLING THESE ITEMS IN BULK SO THAT YOU CAN MAKE FIVE TIMES THE PROFIT!!!" i would have been irate. next i would have called the corporate office and complained until they offered to send me a gift card for $1.20. you cant let these big wig corporations steam roll over you like a door mat. give me the name of that manager and i'll take care of it for you. 

:laugh:

russ7000 (3/27/2008)
i hope they fix the problem with giving the Rookies all this money. they deserve a nice check but i think we have gone over board. the BIG money really needs to be spent on the veterans..........

Oh I agree. 

With the way it's going in a few years the top 5 players in the draft will end up being the highest paid players in the league the year they are drafted.

Jamarcus Russell is in the same pay range/cap hit as Manning and Brady thanks to his rookie contract...  and there is something SERIOUSLY wrong with that.

Brohm was a projected top 10 pick last year, this season his numbers were even better yet his team was worse so his team did not win as many games. According to the numbers and measurable he is the most consistent and one of the most athletic QB's in this draft.

There really is no real reason why his stock fell so much just like there is no real reason why Matt Ryan has been chosen as the number 1 QB in the draft.

I say screw all the talking hats and so called draft guru's and either draft Brohm at #3 or trade with the jets and draft Brohm with the #6 pick.

All this crap about reaching for a pick means nothing this year since there is NO ONE that is a certified no fail star like years before.

Ryan has been artificially hyped by the media to be a top 5 pick just like Brohm has been artificially booted from the top 10.

Our front office should do there own analysis of the current crop of QB's and draft who they feel is the best among them even if it's at number 3.

This is especially if both Chris Long and Jake Long are off the board when we pick.

We should not waste second round picks to creep back in the first round just to pick Brohm where the so called draft guru's think he should go.

If Gholston or Long is on the board, I say we try to trade down with New England. You KNOW they'd want to leap-frog the Jets and steal their player away from them. Plus, TD has that New England connection...

I'd do the trade for New England's first this season and their first next season. Or maybe their first, second, and one of their thirds this season - but I see them less likely to trade away most of their draft this year when they need an infusion of youth of defense.

EDIT: I just had another thought. Denver drafts at #12, which is worth 1200 pts. We hold picks #34 and #37, which are worth 1090 pts. We've had good success dealing with the Broncos in the past... what if we could trade them 2 2nd rounders for their 1st round pick? I would do it in a heart beat. It would put us ahead of Carolina, Chicago, and Minnesota (all of whom might draft Brohm if he were there).

We could draft Dorsey/Long at #3, get Brohm at #12 (assuming he gets past KC and Baltimore), and could still pick up a quality DT or OT at #48. Thoughts? :hehe:

Bring It (3/27/2008)
I wish we could take Jake Long at 3 then trade for a pick around 6 or 7 to pick Brohm

Personally, I would advocate picking Brohm at #3 and - in effect - trading Long/Dorsey for the Falcons' second round picks.  Moving up to the #6 pick, or thereabouts, would probably take all three of the Falcons' second round picks, or the equivalent.  The three players the Falcons could chose in the second round could collectively be much more valuable than the single Long or Dorsey.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

trade pick number 3 to dallas for 22, 28, 61. then trade up from 28 to 18 with the texans by giving up the 28 and our 3rd and a 5th next year since we have 2 for 18. we then have picks 18,22,34,37,48,61,comp. pick hopefully, 4th, 5th, 6th, 3 7ths. at 18 take brohm, at 22 brandon albert, at 34 kentwan balmer/trevor laws, 37 lofton/connor, at 48 DaJuan Morgan, and 61 Chilo Rachel