Look at this mock from Rivals.com...

Latest Mock Draft from Rivals.com, I don't really care for it though.

---

1. Miami (1-15)

The Pick: Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College

The buzz: The Dolphins have already bolstered defense with several free agents. Bill Parcells will focus on offense with the team's early selections, beginning with their future leader and cornerstone performer.

miami_nfllogos.gif
2. St. Louis (3-13)
The Pick: Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU

The buzz: The Rams will focus on their front four, and Dorsey gives them a difference-maker with the ability to make an early impact. .

stlouis_nfllogos.gif
3. Atlanta (4-12)
The Pick: Chris Long, DE, Virginia

The buzz: The Falcons are trying to regroup after a disastrous 2007 season. Long is the safest pick in this draft class, and he'll give the team a cornerstone on which to build.

atlanta_nfllogos.gif
4. Oakland (4-12)
The Pick: Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas *

The buzz: Owner Al Davis always tries to make a splash, and he won't be able to pass up McFadden's star quality.

oakland_nfllogos.gif
5. Kansas City (4-12)
The Pick: Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC

The buzz: The Chiefs' defensive line has been miserable in recent years. Ellis could help turn that around in a hurry.

kansascity_nfllogos.gif
6. N.Y. Jets (4-12)
The Pick: Vernon Gholston, DE/LB, Ohio St.*

The buzz: The Jets may look to add a bookend pass rusher for new free agent Calvin Pace. Gholston is flying up the charts and would be a good pick here.

nyjets_nfllogos.gif
7. New England (From San Francisco) (5-11)
The Pick: Leodis McKelvin, CB, Troy

The buzz: The Patriots defense took some major hits in the secondary. They will look to add a top-flight cover man early in the draft. McKelvin's special teams ability is a big plus.

newengland_nfllogos.gif
8. Baltimore (5-11)
The Pick: Jake Long, OT, Michigan

The buzz: The Ravens are looking to improve their line - especially at tackle because veteran bookend Jonathan Ogden is expected to retire.

baltimore_nfllogos.gif
9. Cincinnati (7-9)
The Pick: Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois*

The buzz: The Bengals could surprise here and add a well-rounded feature back to balance out their offense.

cincinnati_nfllogos.gif
10. New Orleans (7-9)
The Pick: Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida

The buzz: The Saints defense got toasted weekly last season. Jenkins would be a fine addition for this battered secondary.

neworleans_nfllogos.gif
11. Buffalo (7-9)
The Pick: Keith Rivers, LB, USC

The buzz: The Bills are looking for playmakers in their front seven, and Rivers would be an excellent fit on this unit.

buffalo_nfllogos.gif
12. Denver (7-9)
The Pick: Ryan Clady, OT, Boise St.*

The buzz: The Broncos must protect young quarterback Jay Cutler's blind side. Clady may be the best pure left tackle in this fine class.

denver_nfllogos.gif
13. Carolina (7-9)
The Pick: Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville

The buzz: The Panthers will consider adding a quarterback of the future if Brohm is still on the board in middle of the round.

carolina_nfllogos.gif
14. Chicago (7-9)
The Pick: Jeff Otah, OT, Pittsburgh

The buzz: The Bears have major needs on offense along the line and at wide receiver. This prospect would be a good addition to an aging unit.

chicago_nfllogos.gif
15. Detroit (7-9)
The Pick: Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida*

The buzz: The Lions defensive line would benefit from a top-flight edge rusher, and Harvey is moving up draft boards quickly this postseason.

detroit_nfllogos.gif
16. Arizona (8-8)
The Pick: Kentwan Balmer, DT, North Carolina

The buzz: The Cardinals defense needs a playmaker upfront. Balmer could be a rookie starter in Arizona.

arizona_nfllogos.gif
17. Minnesota (8-8)
The Pick: Chris Williams, OT, Vanderbilt

The buzz: The Vikings will draft into the deep offensive tackle class early. We think they'll use their first-round pick to address the need.

minnesota_nfllogos.gif
18. Houston (8-8)
The Pick: Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona

The buzz: The Texans will look to add a top cover man and will seriously consider Cason with this pick.

houston_nfllogos.gif
19. Philadelphia (8-8)
The Pick: Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma *

The buzz: The Eagles are looking for a true No. 1 receiver and they like this former Sooners playmaker.

philadelphia_nfllogos.gif
20. Tampa Bay (9-7)
The Pick: Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon *

The buzz: The Buccaneers are looking to add a starting feature back because of Cadillac Williams' injury problems.

tampabay_nfllogos.gif
21. Washington (9-7)
The Pick: Quentin Groves, DE, Auburn

The buzz: The Redskins will address the defensive line early. Groves had some adversity as a senior but is a solid prospect who is rising fast in the postseason.

washington_nfllogos.gif
22. Dallas (from Cleveland (10-6))
The Pick: DeSean Jackson, WR, California *

The buzz: The Cowboys have little depth and the receivers they do have are advancing in age. Terrell Owens and Terry Glenn will be 34 or older by opening day.

dallas_nfllogos.gif
23. Pittsburgh (10-6)
The Pick: Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas *

The buzz: The Steelers hope to address their secondary early in the draft, especially on the corner. .

pittsburgh_nfllogos.gif
24. Tennessee (10-6)
The Pick: Calais Campbell, DE, Miami *

The buzz: The Titans suffered huge losses along the line in free agency. This area could be addressed with a few picks early in the draft.

tennessee_nfllogos.gif
25. Seattle (10-6)
The Pick: Branden Albert, OG, Virginia *

The buzz: The Seahawks have searched for a replacement for Steve Hutchinson in recent years. The search ends here if they land this blue-chip guard.

seattle_nfllogos.gif
26. Jacksonville (11-5)
The Pick: Phillip Merling, DE, Clemson *

The buzz: The Jaguars will look to address their front four - outside and inside - early in this draft. Merling would be the best available end in this scenario.

jacksonville_nfllogos.gif
27. San Diego (11-5)
The Pick: Kenny Phillips, FS, Miami *

The buzz: The Chargers may choose to address their secondary - especially if this talented safety is still on the board.

sandiego_nfllogos.gif
28. Dallas (13-3)
The Pick: Reggie Smith, CB, Oklahoma *

The buzz: The Cowboys are vulnerable on the corner, and they will likely address this spot with one of their first-round picks.

dallas_nfllogos.gif
29. San Francisco (From Indianapolis (13-3))
The Pick: Limas Sweed, WR, Texas

The buzz: The 49ers will look to address this area early and often. They need a receiver to help Alex Smith become a reliable NFL starter.

sanfrancisco_nfllogos.gif
30. Green Bay (13-3)
The Pick: Brandon Flowers, CB, Virginia Tech

The buzz: The Green Bay starting corners, Al Harris and Charles Woodson will be entering their 12th seasons in the fall.

greenbay_nfllogos.gif
31. New England (16-0)
The Pick: Pick forfeited.

The Buzz: No first-round pick because of NFL sanctions following "Spygate" controversy.

newengland_nfllogos.gif
32. NY Giants (10-6)
The Pick: Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB, Tennessee St.

The buzz: General Manager Jerry Reese is looking for anther playmaker in the secondary. This prospect has excelled in the postseason and is a first-round talent.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Scott24Falcs (3/27/2008)
Awesome mock. I'd be thrilled to have Chris Long as a Falcon.

I really like Chris Long, but where does he fit? DEs as DTs may work with the Giants, but if you look at what Smith had in Jacksonville, he likes big DTs to stop the run. That is a lot of money for a situational pass rusher anyway.

The only way we get Chris Long is if we cut or trade Abe, which doesn't appear likely.

L.Rover (3/27/2008)
Scott24Falcs (3/27/2008)

So would I, if he had a place to start. What a waste of a pick.

I've only talked about all the different spots he would play a thousand times. If you didn't get the picture then, you won't get it now.

Scott24Falcs (3/27/2008)
L.Rover (3/27/2008)
Scott24Falcs (3/27/2008)

I've only talked about all the different spots he would play a thousand times. If you didn't get the picture then, you won't get it now.

That is just a lot of money for a situational pass rusher Scott.

JRob215 (3/27/2008)
Scott24Falcs (3/27/2008)
L.Rover (3/27/2008)
Scott24Falcs (3/27/2008)

JRob, he wouldn't be just a situational pass-rusher, not even close. Here's how I'd expect him to be used:

Run downs: Chris Long would replace Abe. That would give us two good run-stuffing DEs, in Jamaal and Long.

Pass downs: With Long we'd have two options here. If Jamaal doesn't improve his pass-rushing ability, Chris Long would replace him on passing downs. If Jamaal does improve, Long would play UT, giving us Jamaal, Chris Long, and Abe all rushing the passer.....I don't know about you, but I like the thought of that.

Whenever: Long would play OLB. He has a ton of athleticism and would be great at OLB in my opinion. Picture him flying around with Boley making plays.

There's NO reason to think that Chris Long, arguably the best player in the draft, would be a bad pick for us. He wouldn't be sitting on the bench, nor would he be forcing Jamaal to the bench. Lastly, when the team either parts ways with Abe, or Abe retires, we have our 2 DEs for years to come.

Scott24Falcs (3/27/2008)

Run downs: Chris Long would replace Abe. That would give us two good run-stuffing DEs, in Jamaal and Long.

Pass downs: With Long we'd have two options here. If Jamaal doesn't improve his pass-rushing ability, Chris Long would replace him on passing downs. If Jamaal does improve, Long would play UT, giving us Jamaal, Chris Long, and Abe all rushing the passer.....I don't know about you, but I like the thought of that.

Whenever: Long would play OLB. He has a ton of athleticism and would be great at OLB in my opinion. Picture him flying around with Boley making plays.

There's NO reason to think that Chris Long, arguably the best player in the draft, would be a bad pick for us. He wouldn't be sitting on the bench, nor would he be forcing Jamaal to the bench. Lastly, when the team either parts ways with Abe, or Abe retires, we have our 2 DEs for years to come.

That's stupid.  Abe has been solid and your saying to KEEP him because he can replace Anderson?  WHA???  WASTED PICK.  Sedrick Ellis or trade down with Cinci or Denver and pick up Clady.

red2play (3/27/2008)
Scott24Falcs (3/27/2008)

That's stupid.  Abe has been solid and your saying to KEEP him because he can replace Anderson?  WHA???  WASTED PICK.  Sedrick Ellis or trade down with Cinci or Denver and pick up Clady.

WOW!

For once I agree w/Red2Play.

Pritts normally I agree with you. I just think that Long is too good of a player to pass up. He could easily be an OLB or MLB with his athletic ability. As well as any of the line postions. He has versitility, he would be a great fit. I would really like to see him in the middle as a LB.

I guess Long and Woodson will be the places where we will disagree.

hornsmd (3/27/2008)
Pritts normally I agree with you. I just think that Long is too good of a player to pass up. He could easily be an OLB or MLB with his athletic ability. As well as any of the line postions. He has versitility, he would be a great fit. I would really like to see him in the middle as a LB.

I guess Long and Woodson will be the places where we will disagree.

Well Matthew is so one-sided in his way of thinking it's unbelievable.  It's either the way he wants it, or he doesn't want to hear it at all.

Scott24Falcs (3/27/2008)
JRob215 (3/27/2008)
Scott24Falcs (3/27/2008)
L.Rover (3/27/2008)
Scott24Falcs (3/27/2008)

JRob, he wouldn't be just a situational pass-rusher, not even close. Here's how I'd expect him to be used:

I totally agree with you. Our DLine rotation has been a weakness in depth for a while. Abe is not built to play every down. Having a guy like Long allows a ton of options.

**** on long passing downs you could line up Babs and Long as DTs w/ Abe and Jamal on the corners and blitz boley at the same time--try guarding that!

grendel (3/27/2008)
Matthew Pritts (3/27/2008)
red2play (3/27/2008)
Scott24Falcs (3/27/2008)

That's stupid. Abe has been solid and your saying to KEEP him because he can replace Anderson? WHA??? WASTED PICK. Sedrick Ellis or trade down with Cinci or Denver and pick up Clady.

WOW!

That should have been the first big flashing warning sign...

:w00t:

Like I said, Long is one of the best in the draft, but we don't need to use all of that $$$ on a player that fits no need whatsoever.

JRob215 (3/27/2008)
grendel (3/27/2008)
Matthew Pritts (3/27/2008)
red2play (3/27/2008)
Scott24Falcs (3/27/2008)

That's stupid. Abe has been solid and your saying to KEEP him because he can replace Anderson? WHA??? WASTED PICK. Sedrick Ellis or trade down with Cinci or Denver and pick up Clady.

WOW!

That should have been the first big flashing warning sign...

:w00t:

Like I said, Long is one of the best in the draft, but we don't need to use all of that $$$ on a player that fits no need whatsoever.

:crazy:  I just finished detailing exactly how Chris Long would/could be used.  He would be used in a very similar way to the way Justin Tuck is used by the Giants.  Please get past the "DE" part.

Scott24Falcs (3/27/2008)
JRob215 (3/27/2008)
But we have too many needs to draft a player for luxury purposes.

I fail to see how picking Long would be a "luxury" pick. 

But we'll just have to agree to disagree. 

He is a luxury pick, because he doesn't fill a need. Whether he can do other things or not, he is a DE, plain and simple. If you want a DT, why not just pick Dorsey or Ellis? If you want a LB, why not get somebody like Rivers or Connor or Mayo? But whatever, I guess your right - we'll have to agree to disagree.  ;) 

grendel (3/27/2008)
JRob215 (3/27/2008)
But we have too many needs to draft a player for luxury purposes.

Winning is a luxury we can't afford

If you want to win, you better address much bigger needs than a 3rd DE that will cost us a boatload of money.