Heath Benedict found dead

Daddy-O

Heath Benedict found dead in Florida home

John Murphy

Yahoo! Sports

0123-HEATHBENEDICT_250.JPGspacer1.gif
spacer1.gif
Heath Benedict was found dead in his Jacksonville, Fla., home Wednesday.
He was chosen to play in several postseason all-star games after earning several accolades at the Division II level, including being nominated as the top small school lineman in college football this past season, an award named after Gene Upshaw.

Jacksonville television station WLTX reported police have ruled out foul play as a cause of death, and said drugs or alcohol do not appear to have been a factor in Benedict's death.

Another local television station, WJXT, reported police were summoned to a home in the San Jose community at about 7 p.m. and found Benedict on a couch.

Benedict's agent, C.J. LaBoy, said the player died of natural causes.

Benedict generally considered a third- or fourth-round selection in the Draft started three seasons at Newberry and was named the South Atlantic Conference's top blocker this past season. After the season, the Greer, S.C., resident moved to Jacksonville, Fla., to train for the upcoming NFL Draft.

Benedict's younger brother, Brent, attends The Bolles School in Jacksonville, where the 6-foot-5, 275-pound sophomore is a standout football player.

A native of the Netherlands, Heath Benedict was a high school standout at Peddie School in Hightstown, N.J. He was a Parade All-American and played in the prestigious Army All-American Bowl before accepting a scholarship at Tennessee.

After redshirting his freshman season, Benedict withdrew from Tennessee and moved to his parents' home in South Carolina before enrolling at Newberry.

Benedict harbored no hard feelings for his travails at Tennessee, and told Rivals.com's Steve Megargee at the Senior Bowl he would've liked to see Brent in a Volunteers uniform.

"Tennessee was a great place," Benedict said. "It just wasn't right for me. I still have a lot of good friends there. Coach (Phillip) Fulmer's a great coach. I have a little brother coming up, and I'd love to send him there someday."

yea i posted this last night.  unfortunetly it was late and I don't think very man saw it.  It certainly is tragic. 

I don't understand how a team doctor wouldn't have caught anything odd in his physicals.  What kind of natural causes kill a healthy 25 year old.  Wasn't he poked and prodded by 32 teams?

chris30277 (3/27/2008)
yea i posted this last night.  unfortunetly it was late and I don't think very man saw it.  It certainly is tragic. 

I don't understand how a team doctor wouldn't have caught anything odd in his physicals.  What kind of natural causes kill a healthy 25 year old.  Wasn't he poked and prodded by 32 teams?

Yeah, I agree.

You think they would've saw something but then again you never know. I had a friend who was 34 and he had a heart attack and died. After his Funeral his mother and father told me that they found out from his doctor that he had a heart of a 70 year old! How does that get past a doctor ( I guess if he didn't go see one, then maybe) but @ 34, you would think that he made a visit once in awhile.