A little tad on Van Gorder

Ive watched Van Gorder's defenses for 4 years intensely while he was at UGA, not so much in the pros. what i can tell you is that he is known for very aggressive, and sometimes overly agressive blitz schemes.  He has succeded well in part because he was able to put pressure on the qb ferociously throughout the game, but this put his corners in alot of man to man, he likes to bring the safeties up more often than not, but when you have behemoths like thomas davis and greg blue i would as well. we will definately draft a corner very early if van gorder gets his wish, as well as a mammoth DT to pull the guards so his blitzers can get through clean. just my opinion, but i say either dorsey/ellis in the first, and then a charles godfey-type man up corner in the late 2nd. peace.

Sun Tzu 7 (3/26/2008)
That's great.  Too bad this isn't college or the SEC.

He hasn't proven anything in the NFL.  We will have to wait and see.

Oh... and he doesn't have the same level of talent in the NFL compared to the other theams in the league that he did at UGA...

Wrong sun tzu, he had a top ten defense in jacksonville in his only pro stint. He can draft talent just as good if not better than what he had at UGA, he's a proven winner that actually i think can be a better pro than college coach. peace sun tzu.

This is very interesting, as I have posted the question before 'How do you know we are going to cover 2?' and no one could give me an answer; yet you see it mentioned all of the time here. I think people assume because Smith ran it in Jax, we will run it here. I think we will develop a D based on personnel, and the hiring of Van Gorder might be a sign that we will have a man package.

Wrong sun tzu, he had a top ten defense in jacksonville in his only pro stint. He can draft talent just as good if not better than what he had at UGA, he's a proven winner that actually i think can be a better pro than college coach. peace sun tzu.

Uhmmm... I hate to break this to you but he wasn't the DC when he was at Jacksonville... that's our current Head Coach. Van Gorder was the linebackers coach.

As far as NFL experience goes... he has two years coaching linebackers.  One year at Jax and last year here.

outlaw87 (3/26/2008)
This is very interesting, as I have posted the question before 'How do you know we are going to cover 2?' and no one could give me an answer; yet you see it mentioned all of the time here. I think people assume because Smith ran it in Jax, we will run it here. I think we will develop a D based on personnel, and the hiring of Van Gorder might be a sign that we will have a man package.

If this is the case then this team is screwed.

Warden Erbbra (3/26/2008)
I'm a GSU fan so I'm not big on van gorder lol.  He did almost the exact same thing to GSU that Petrino did to the falcons.

I am a GSU alumn myself.... and there is no almost about it....

At least Van Gorder didn't bolt mid-season but I won't bash the guy... anymore.

I'll let him prove himself but I'm not going to think our defense will be any good based on what he did while at college.  That kind of thinking got us Bobby Petirno and we all know how well that worked out.

outlaw87 (3/26/2008)

That is because you used a football term in "Cover 2", people on here do not understand football well enough to understand specific coverages or schemes. You have to talk in more general terms.

That is because you used a football term in "Cover 2", people on here do not understand football well enough to understand specific coverages or schemes. You have to talk in more general terms.

All I know is that with the way our defensive personnel is constructed we're not going to be able to run the "standard/basic" cover 2 defensive package.

We can't generate a pass rush with just our front four.  As a matter of fact we only have ONE guy on our d-line that can generate pressure and he has problems staying healthy.  We're going to have to blitz linebackers.

Oh yeah.... with everything that has happened with our DT's I'm not sure if we'll be able to stop the run either...

sorry sun tzu youre right, i meant to say he was linebackers coach, but he and smith still had one of the leagues best defenses. I was really just trying to logic the type of personell he would like to draft and i wasnt talking about his coaching credentials.

In that case.... hopefully a DT or OL.

I said in another thread that we still have issues at the DT spot.

i hatethecowboys, you hit the nail on the head! most people on this board could not even break down offensive or defensive playcalls, all they know is names of players and media hype. as far as the x's and o's of the game, most are clueless. lets put this to the test: can anyone here name the strong saftey's responsibility in pass coverage on a deep cover man 2 zone?

I shoot heroin (3/26/2008)
i hatethecowboys, you hit the nail on the head! most people on this board could not even break down offensive or defensive playcalls, all they know is names of players and media hype. as far as the x's and o's of the game, most are clueless. lets put this to the test: can anyone here name the strong saftey's responsibility in pass coverage on a deep cover man 2 zone?

They are GOOGLEing it as we speak!!!!

IHateThe Cowboys! (3/26/2008)

They are GOOGLEing it as we speak!!!!

hahaha thats hilarious:laugh:

Both safeties have deep halves, help on both sides of the field.

matt_jennifer (3/26/2008)

And the #1 rule is no matter what....DO NOT LET ANYONE GET BEHIND YOU!

Sorry i did not know that we had that many non football people on here that know nothing about x's and o's. 

It is also a good rule to live by...unless you are a chick...lmao!

Sorry i did not know that we had that many non football people on here that know nothing about x's and o's. 

outlaw87 (3/26/2008)

We don't have the personnel to play man. Even if we took the best corner in the draft, which we will not, we still would not be able to man up consistently. If we do we will be torched.

When you describe Van Gorder's defense in college you reference his blitz heavy schemes. Van Gorder wasn't a heavy blitzer, never was. He blitzed occasionally, but really relied on his D-line to pressure the QB. When you think of a heavy blitzer think of Ga Tech's former D-ccordinatort Tenuta, who blitzed almost every down. Van Gorder's strategy fits in nicely with the Cover 2 philosophy we will use.