dan conner

should we get him with our 2nd round pick

i dont know aynthing about him but hes ranked as the best ILB and 2nd best LB in general. I see mock drafts have him going in early 2nd round, and we do need a linebacker, we can move brooking to the outside.

or is there a better way to use our first 2nd round pick

I don't know that he actually falls that far, but I still would prefer Curtis Lofton. Lofton is just the physical presence we need in the middle. Connor reminds me of Brooking, which isn't bad, but it's not the ideal situation to have in the middle of our defense.

I think Curtis Lofton is slipping to round 3 or maybe even round 4 despite the position scarcity at MLB this year. I finally got hold of the Our Lads OSR for his combine performance. He finished dead last among the 11 MLBs. They also say he shows no burst and doesn't finish plays well. Our Lads normally drills player evaluations in terms of opinions shared by personnel departments. So, I think Lofton is in a lot of trouble.

Scott24Falcs (3/26/2008)
grendel (3/26/2008)
I like Dan Connor a lot (note there's no 'e' in his name, people)... He's a top 10 or 15 talent, IMO. If he's there in the 2nd round we should definitely grab him.

I agree. He's got terrific instincts, something that is critical to a MLB's success.

If we draft him, he'll play WLB. Our DC wants Brooking in the middle, and we are probably looking ahead and targeting Maualuga/Laurinaitis at MLB next year. He's a better WLB anyways. He is going to be a staple of any defense that he goes to, but we have bigger needs than an LB in the 2nd. We need OTs like Gosder Cherilus and Sam Baker. After we get them, then we can look at a CB or LB. But I'd rather get a Geno Hayes in the 4th or a Lamar Myles in UDFA. Both are very athletic sideline-to-sideline playmakers at OLB.

jidady (3/26/2008)
I think Curtis Lofton is slipping to round 3 or maybe even round 4 despite the position scarcity at MLB this year. I finally got hold of the Our Lads OSR for his combine performance. He finished dead last among the 11 MLBs. They also say he shows no burst and doesn't finish plays well. Our Lads normally drills player evaluations in terms of opinions shared by personnel departments. So, I think Lofton is in a lot of trouble.

After seeing this (

) highlight video, I'd be ecstatic if he fell to day 2. I came away very impressed. His timed speed in his combine and pro day drills wasn't very good, but he sure looks fast on the field. I love his intensity and the way he hits the ballcarrier with a full head of steam. We need that kind of violent tackling on defense. His instincts look good (look at the way he explodes into the backfield off the snap on the first play of the reel), and from what I've been able to gather he possesses all of the intagibles you look for in a MLB: leadership skills, work ethic, and high football IQ. Kid looks like a pure football player to me.

Brian (3/26/2008)
Scott24Falcs (3/26/2008)
grendel (3/26/2008)
I like Dan Connor a lot (note there's no 'e' in his name, people)... He's a top 10 or 15 talent, IMO. If he's there in the 2nd round we should definitely grab him.

I agree. He's got terrific instincts, something that is critical to a MLB's success.

If we draft him, he'll play WLB. Our DC wants Brooking in the middle, and we are probably looking ahead and targeting Maualuga/Laurinaitis at MLB next year. He's a better WLB anyways. He is going to be a staple of any defense that he goes to, but we have bigger needs than an LB in the 2nd. We need OTs like Gosder Cherilus and Sam Baker. After we get them, then we can look at a CB or LB. But I'd rather get a Geno Hayes in the 4th or a Lamar Myles in UDFA. Both are very athletic sideline-to-sideline playmakers at OLB.

you cant plan on next years draft when picking a player this year. if connor is available he is a great linebacking talent for 2nd round and so is lofton, whoever suggested he slips to third its not happening. id take one of them

nick h (3/27/2008)
Brian (3/26/2008)
Scott24Falcs (3/26/2008)
grendel (3/26/2008)

you cant plan on next years draft when picking a player this year. if connor is available he is a great linebacking talent for 2nd round and so is lofton, whoever suggested he slips to third its not happening. id take one of them

I agree.  I get tired of hearing people say things like, "Let's just wait until next year for...."  That's not the way it works. 

Neither of you are understanding. Keith Brooking is a great MLB. Our DC wants to play him at MLB this year. So taking an ILB doesn't exactly make sense. Next year we can take a MLB and let Brooking go, just like we did with Dunn, keeping it classy.

Lawyer Milloy is playing this year also, period. We are not taking a safety this year to start. However next year I foresee Lawyer gone, thus creating a need for a SS.

That is why I target those two positions next year, along with OG, simply because we will not get the chance to draft a great OG this year and we don't need one with Forney, Clabo, Foster, and Datish who could probably move over to OG because of Stepanovich. And Duke Robinson is a baller OG.

I might be biased because I am in love, but Lamar Myles in the 7th round is a huge steal. He is a great OLB with great experience who played top notch D1 football, but he wasnt invited to the combine and is a well kept secret.

Brian (3/27/2008)
Neither of you are understanding. Keith Brooking is a great MLB. Our DC wants to play him at MLB this year. So taking an ILB doesn't exactly make sense. Next year we can take a MLB and let Brooking go, just like we did with Dunn, keeping it classy.

Lawyer Milloy is playing this year also, period. We are not taking a safety this year to start. However next year I foresee Lawyer gone, thus creating a need for a SS.

That is why I target those two positions next year, along with OG, simply because we will not get the chance to draft a great OG this year and we don't need one with Forney, Clabo, Foster, and Datish who could probably move over to OG because of Stepanovich. And Duke Robinson is a baller OG.

I might be biased because I am in love, but Lamar Myles in the 7th round is a huge steal. He is a great OLB with great experience who played top notch D1 football, but he wasnt invited to the combine and is a well kept secret.

I'm sorry but Keith Brooking is not a great MLB, not even close. He may have been good in the past, but he has clearly lost a step. He lacks the footspeed to keep up with outside runners and lacks the strength to shed blocks. He is not the physical presence in the middle of the defense that we so desperately need. As far as drafting his replacement now versus waiting until next year, by drafting the replacement now it gives the player the opportunity to be groomed into the position as opposed to being immediately thrown into the fire. In general, most players turn out better when they have the opportunity to sit back and learn from a vet. There are lots of lessons that a veteran like Brooking can teach to a rookie that would be invaluable. Not only advice that can be used on the field such as tips on reading coverages and helping grasp the playbook, but other things such as how to become a leader and being a professional. By waiting until Brooking is gone to find his replacement, we would be missing out on those things, as well as the chance to upgrade the position sooner rather than later.

He's a great player. But He's really not a MLB. He's a OLB.. Would be nice to have. But we need a THUMPER IN THE MIDDLE.. He's not it. Lofton, Mayo, Bell or Goff.. These are your picks for the middle. They have all played the Middle and Outside. And they're more athletic. JMO..

Brian (3/26/2008)
Scott24Falcs (3/26/2008)
grendel (3/26/2008)

Your right on the money.....;)