HOF/Franchise QB ?

if you look at the recent trends in the nfl, the teams who invest all their money into offense or stacking up with these "franchise" qb's really have not faired any better than teams with "average" qb's.

take a look at jacksonville, power/aggressive running game with a STUD defense. garrard (not a "hof" qb) knows how to manage the game and not make mistakes, which gives his team a chance to win,

Giants, excellent running game and very agressive attacking defense, won the superbowl by they play of thier defense being able to disrupt the high scoring pats. you could say eli is a franchise or HOF qb but before the playoffs, eli was about to get written off as a bust by more than half the nation. eli did the same thing as garrard managed games and didnt make turnovers..(and threw up a prayer that was answered in the form of david tyree hahah)

Teams with these high power scoring offenses have not faired well in recent years. everyone knows the colts can put up points on you but they were stopped every year until they built a defense of their own and then won a superbowl.

then look at the bengals able to score 50+ points in a game yet not able to make the playoffs because of their terrible defense. if we can build a defense and have a running game that moves chains it wont matter if we have matt ryan, joe flacco, chad henne, brian brohm, joey harrington, or whoever. as long as they realize their job is to manage the game and not try and win it by themselves.

This just in:  Football is a team sport!

A QB has more chances to make a mistake and cost a game, or make a great play and win than many other positions, but he still needs the rest of the team.

Look at Romo 2 years ago in that playoff game - played great as QB, then fumbled the extra point and lost the game.  If he had done all the same QB stuff, and it was a different holder who fumbled - he still would have lost.

The Dolphins had Marino, a HOF QB, and they never won it all.  Its DEFENSE that wins Championships now, not HOF QB's, the Ravens won it with their stellar Defense, its nice being competitive every season, but to me thats like getting to the Promised Land but not being able to enter.  I'd rather win a Superbowl and miss the playoffs the next season if that means I will go back to the Superbowl the next season instead of going to the NFC Championship and losing every year.  It's all about the Lombardi, if your not bringing it home, your not getting the job done.

zmystico (3/26/2008)
The Dolphins had Marino, a HOF QB, and they never won it all.  Its DEFENSE that wins Championships now, not HOF QB's, the Ravens won it with their stellar Defense, its nice being competitive every season, but to me thats like getting to the Promised Land but not being able to enter.  I'd rather win a Superbowl and miss the playoffs the next season if that means I will go back to the Superbowl the next season instead of going to the NFC Championship and losing every year.  It's all about the Lombardi, if your not bringing it home, your not getting the job done.
You miss the point:

If you wanna win consistently(Indy, Pit, NE,S.D.,Philly), you get a franchise QB.(Manning bros., Ben, Brady, McNabb,Rivers)

YOu wanna be a one-year wonder, you get a Trent Dilfer.

stumpjumper (3/26/2008)
I can't believe you lumped Eli in with that group of QBs....
Why not?

As much as people don't want to come to grips w/it, Eli is a franchise QB. Had he not played like it some of the time? Sure, but it's amazing that after Shockey and Barber left, how well he played. I really think those two were holding him down b/c of their massive egos. It allowed for Eli to make it his team.

I get that, but whats the point of winning consistently if you never bring home the Lombardi, the ultimate goal is to win the Superbowl, but teams are usually satisfied with winning 10-12 games a season. The Patriots set all kinds of records this season, 18-0,  but in the end....they didn't win the one that mattered the most.

twyntefour (3/26/2008)
if you look at the recent trends in the nfl, the teams who invest all their money into offense or stacking up with these "franchise" qb's really have not faired any better than teams with "average" qb's.

take a look at jacksonville, power/aggressive running game with a STUD defense. garrard (not a "hof" qb) knows how to manage the game and not make mistakes, which gives his team a chance to win,

Giants, excellent running game and very agressive attacking defense, won the superbowl by they play of thier defense being able to disrupt the high scoring pats. you could say eli is a franchise or HOF qb but before the playoffs, eli was about to get written off as a bust by more than half the nation. eli did the same thing as garrard managed games and didnt make turnovers..(and threw up a prayer that was answered in the form of david tyree hahah)

Teams with these high power scoring offenses have not faired well in recent years. everyone knows the colts can put up points on you but they were stopped every year until they built a defense of their own and then won a superbowl.

then look at the bengals able to score 50+ points in a game yet not able to make the playoffs because of their terrible defense. if we can build a defense and have a running game that moves chains it wont matter if we have matt ryan, joe flacco, chad henne, brian brohm, joey harrington, or whoever. as long as they realize their job is to manage the game and not try and win it by themselves.

I enjoyed reading your post and found it interesting.

However, be prepared to be ATTACKED by some on this board as if you have just insulted their Mother on national TV.

I don't know why, but that kind of venom exists here on this forum.

Keep your thoughtful comments coming, OK ??

mbrizzle (3/26/2008)
How come people take avariable and try to use it as proof? It's completely ridiculous. What is the constant? The constant is that you need a top-flight QB to have extended periods of success.

Because they know nothing about stats

heretic (3/26/2008)
Let's see

In recent years 4 teams have won more than others

Giants

Patriots

Steelers

Colts

They ALL have franchise Qbs, and most of them were drafted in the first round (brady is the exception)

So what?

As was Aikman w/the Cowboys, Elway w/the Broncos, etc.

That should end this discussion. Good job.

grendel (3/26/2008)
It's only a requirement if you want to be a good team year in and year out... like Indy, Pitt, and NE.

Granted Baltimore took a major slide-but they have YET to have a franchise QB and are usually a pretty good team...they even one a Superbowl w/o a franchise QB

grendel (3/26/2008)
It's only a requirement if you want to be a good team year in and year out... like Indy, Pitt, and NE.

I love it.

We dont need a Franchise QB.  The Ravens won with Dilfer blah blah blah.

Just keep overlooking the fact that the consistently competitive teams have established franchise QBs that keep them in every game.

A franchise QB is of prime importance to winning on a consistent basis in this league. 

Robert L (3/26/2008)
grendel (3/26/2008)

Granted Baltimore took a major slide-but they have YET to have a franchise QB and are usually a pretty good team...they even one a Superbowl w/o a franchise QB

But they're not a consistently good team.

And it's b/c they have no franchise QB.