Michael Turner & Willam Andrews

Celt

I know alot of the people here never saw Willam Andrews play but he is without a doubt the best running back we've ever had.  I've had some time the last couple of weeks and I've been studying every bit of video I can find on Michael Turner. Running between the tackles they have the same style and effectiveness.

Turner and Andrews are about the same height with Turner being about 25 lbs. heavier.  Turner is much faster than Andrews was.  Andrews appears to have been a better receiver but I don't know that for sure because I just have not seen Turner play that much.

The similarity is they both have the unique ability to run with power and balance with their back almost horizontal with the ground.  You have to have a very low center of gravity to be able to do this and though it's not unique for NFL running backs it's rare to the extent to which they do/did it.  Turner seems to only do it when he's running between the tackles, fixing to get hit or when he's in the phone booth.  He tends to run more upright when he hits the open field and tends to rely more on his speed.  Andrews always ran flat. 

I also noticed when Turners fixing to get hit he will run right at the tackler and brawl with him.  Andrews did exactly the same thing.  I actually saw Turner attack a would be tackler with his fist, forearm, pads & knees.  Between the lines he's just plain mean and runs with attitude.

Another thing I noticed was Safeties and CB's very seldom try to cut Turner but try to wrestle him down like a calf.  Same with Andrews.

I think we have got ourselves a true gem.  He should be fun to watch and I can't wait to see him play here.

Occasionally you can see old NFL films of Andrews on the NFL channel.  If you get a chance to see him run you will notice the similarities. 

I've been Falcon fan since the inception.

William Andrews is without a doubt the best running back we ever had, and perhaps the best player.  He ran hard and did not try to avoid collisions.  He was tremendous receive out of the backfield.  i believe he set record for having back to back combined 2000 yard rushing and receiving seasons.  He was the man.

Check out some of the old video and see him run over defensive backs.

If Turner is anything like him, we have ourselves a jewel.

William Andrews is my favorite Falcon of all time. He ran like every run was his last - **** bent for the end zone. I caught a segment on Fox Sports with Ronnie Lott interviewing him. Lott asked Andrews about how he used to blow up would-be tacklers. Andrews described how he used to set guys up by stepping one way, getting the defender to shift his weight in that direction. Andrews would then explode into the guy's opposite shoulder like he was a rag doll. AWESOME! The best part was Lott's reaction. At first, his eyes were as big as saucers. Then he laughed the laugh of a man who just realized he had been had for years. Good stuff.

If Turner is anywhere close to that I'll be stoked.

hi I've only been an atlanta fan for about 4 years so I dont know much about William Andrews... Are there any good videos of him? and where? I could only find the "McDonalds Atlanta falcons glasses" commercial when I youtubed him.... He definitely looked sharp in that commercial!

Celt (3/25/2008)
I know alot of the people here never saw Willam Andrews play but he is without a doubt the best running back we've ever had.  I've had some time the last couple of weeks and I've been studying every bit of video I can find on Michael Turner. Running between the tackles they have the same style and effectiveness.

Turner and Andrews are about the same height with Turner being about 25 lbs. heavier.  Turner is much faster than Andrews was.  Andrews appears to have been a better receiver but I don't know that for sure because I just have not seen Turner play that much.

The similarity is they both have the unique ability to run with power and balance with their back almost horizontal with the ground.  You have to have a very low center of gravity to be able to do this and though it's not unique for NFL running backs it's rare to the extent to which they do/did it.  Turner seems to only do it when he's running between the tackles, fixing to get hit or when he's in the phone booth.  He tends to run more upright when he hits the open field and tends to rely more on his speed.  Andrews always ran flat. 

I also noticed when Turners fixing to get hit he will run right at the tackler and brawl with him.  Andrews did exactly the same thing.  I actually saw Turner attack a would be tackler with his fist, forearm, pads & knees.  Between the lines he's just plain mean and runs with attitude.

Another thing I noticed was Safeties and CB's very seldom try to cut Turner but try to wrestle him down like a calf.  Same with Andrews.

I think we have got ourselves a true gem.  He should be fun to watch and I can't wait to see him play here.

Occasionally you can see old NFL films of Andrews on the NFL channel.  If you get a chance to see him run you will notice the similarities. 

Ditto, Andrews was one of my all time favorites. I can't count the times he ran over,through, and drug people down the field. It's a shame he got hurt, but I'am excited about Turner too.

very good points celt....Andrews is without a doubt the falcons best all time RB. I don't see a true comparison. Turner is much faster and heavier. maybe their runinng stlyes are similar but I don't see it. hoping here MT is just close to being as good as w Andrews.

BTW, if W.A. stayed healthy without the severe knee injury he may have been one of the NFL greatest of all time. Dude could run, catch and flat out play

When we signed Turner, I stated that his running style was similar to William Andrews and that he didn't avoid contact, in fact he (Turner) invites it, especially on DBs.  Whether he'll perform as good as Andrews remains to be seen but I am excited about getting a back like Turner.  We do need to provide some capable blocking and another good thing about Andrews was that he was an awesome blocker when Cain was carrying the ball.  "Andrews and Cain for a sure gain!"  What a great tandem we had and what made them more effective, Bartkowski to Jenkins kept defenses honest too!  Hopefully Redman and Roddy can do that job too..

Man, that's a blast from the past....William Andrews and Lynn Cain...the best RB

tandem we've ever had. Andrews was the best of all time for sure (IMHO), and it was painful to see him come back after the severe knee injury he had,..he was just never the same.

And Bartkowski to one of the "Alfreds"....(Jackson and Jenkins), just to keep 'em honest.

That really brings back some great memories, even though we had an average team, it was fun to watch and cheer for our Falcons!

And will April 26th ever get here? I can't wait to see who we get....it's like waiting for Christmas morning! LOL. I got a feeling it's gonna really be a good draft for us this year though , with all the picks we have, and the talent available. I just hope TD & Co. makes the most of it, and gives us die-hard Falcons fans something to really be excited about, again.

Not even close to being as good as Andrews, If he is an above average back we did great. MT got most of his running after the defense had given up and had been beat up by LT all day. Andrews would have been a hall of fame player had he not gotten hurt at an early part of his career. Had Walter Payton had the same injury Andrews had, he would be remembered about like Andrews has. I loved Andrews and Cain. I think Riggs was our best RB ever as we will never know what would have been with Andrews. Don't get me wrong he was a great RB for a few years but Riggs was great on a much weaker team a lot longer. I remember when he ran for like 220 yards against the 49'ers that was the best Falcon running game I ever saw. I think the third best Falcon RB was Mike Vick as he sure was no passer

Not even close to being as good as Andrews, If he is an above average back we did great. MT got most of his running after the defense had given up and had been beat up by LT all day. Andrews would have been a hall of fame player had he not gotten hurt at an early part of his career. Had Walter Payton had the same injury Andrews had, he would be remembered about like Andrews has. I loved Andrews and Cain. I think Riggs was our best RB ever as we will never know what would have been with Andrews. Don't get me wrong he was a great RB for a few years but Riggs was great on a much weaker team a lot longer. I remember when he ran for like 220 yards against the 49'ers that was the best Falcon running game I ever saw. I think the third best Falcon RB was Mike Vick as he sure was no passer

FalconJim (3/26/2008)

Man, that's a blast from the past....William Andrews and Lynn Cain...the best RB

tandem we've ever had. Andrews was the best of all time for sure (IMHO), and it was painful to see him come back after the severe knee injury he had,..he was just never the same.

And Bartkowski to one of the "Alfreds"....(Jackson and Jenkins), just to keep 'em honest.

That really brings back some great memories, even though we had an average team, it was fun to watch and cheer for our Falcons!

And will April 26th ever get here? I can't wait to see who we get....it's like waiting for Christmas morning! LOL. I got a feeling it's gonna really be a good draft for us this year though , with all the picks we have, and the talent available. I just hope TD & Co. makes the most of it, and gives us die-hard Falcons fans something to really be excited about, again.

Yeah, can't forget about the miraculous plays that the other 'Alfred' gave us as well.  And Wallace Francis with Billy "Whiteshoes" Johnson, we had a receiving corp nearly as good as our running game!  For a couple of years there, we had a better than average team.  We actually had a Super Bowl contender.  Just too bad big "D" happened to get in the way.

I share your enthusiasm about this year's draft.  It's going to be like Christmas because there's such good depth at our biggest points of need (OL and DL).  Hopefully soon we'll build another contender and once again play Dallas and hopefully take them out this time!

Yeah, that Dallas game was painful!  We blow a two-touchdown lead in the fourth quarter, after knocking out their starting QB (Staubach) because of Glanville's "prevent" defense.  Dallas then got beat by Philly the next game, to send Philly to the SB.  Man, that was Our superbowl, because we had Owned the Eagles through those years.

...and I loved watching Andrews pancake DBs.

carolina falcon (3/26/2008)
Yeah, that Dallas game was painful!  We blow a two-touchdown lead in the fourth quarter, after knocking out their starting QB (Staubach) because of Glanville's "prevent" defense.  Dallas then got beat by Philly the next game, to send Philly to the SB.  Man, that was Our superbowl, because we had Owned the Eagles through those years.

...and I loved watching Andrews pancake DBs.

.............and whatever happened to Roland Lawrence.  The stuff nightmares are made of.

Just to be clear I wasn't claiming Michael Turner was as good as William.  I was just pointing out similarities in their bruising running style. 

I think he does have the talent and skills to be an exceptional back.