Clinton: Wright 'would not have been my pastor'

savwboy9

By Mike Wereschagin and David M. Brown

TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

TTM_movies_300x250.gif

Clinton's 90-minute interview covered topics from pledged delegates to Iraq.

Among her statements this morning:

On saying last week that she landed under sniper fire during a trip to Bosnia in 1996, when she was first lady:

"I was sleep-deprived, and I misspoke."

" On superdelegates:

"The governor from Tennessee (Phil Bredesen) suggested that there be a convention of superdelegates, and I think that it is an intriguing idea. I have not considered it long enough to have an opinion on it.

On the possibility of Gov. Ed Rendell becoming her running mate:

"It's premature to say that I would have Gov. Rendell, but I have a lot of regard for the governor."

" On Social Security:

"We need to have a bipartisan commission much like President Reagan and Tip O'Neill had in the '80s where they worked together, and we have lived off of those efforts. But we need to do something now. One of the caveats that I would have is that people that are presently on Social Security or about to go on Social Security not be affected."

" On so-called earmarks, which are congressional appropriations to specific institutions:

"I am proud of my earmarks," she said sarcastically. "Part of the reason that I won New York by 67 percent are my earmarks."

" On Pakistan:

"... I don't hold much hope for such negotiations between the Taliban and other militants. I don't know exactly what to expect from this new government. I have concerns about Musharraf's policies.

"I have urged President Bush to try to create common ground between Pakistan and Afghanistan."

" On Russia:

"We need to work with Russia as an ally. Russia is investing a lot of money into the Iran nuclear program. That is dangerous to them as well as us."

Staff writer Salena Zito contributed to this report.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburgh...g/s_558930.html

Here is the rest of the article..

Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, in a wide-ranging interview today with Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reporters and editors, said she would have left her church if her pastor made the sort of inflammatory remarks Sen. Barack Obama's former pastor made.

"He would not have been my pastor," Clinton said. "You don't choose your family, but you choose what church you want to attend."

Obama's lead in national polls has slipped since clips of the retired Rev. Jeremiah Wright began being played on national news programs. The uproar prompted Obama to give a wide-ranging speech on race in America a week ago. The Clinton campaign has refrained from getting involved in the controversy, but Clinton herself, responding to a question, denounced what she said was "hate speech."

"You know, I spoke out against Don Imus (who was fired from his radio and television shows after making racially insensitive remarks), saying that hate speech was unacceptable in any setting, and I believe that," Clinton said. "I just think you have to speak out against that. You certainly have to do that, if not explicitly, then implicitly by getting up and moving."

etifan (3/25/2008)
I had copied and pasted that first part in the other thread.  Weird the way things half-show sometimes.  Anyway, my opinion hasn't changed: the idea of anyone using the Clintons as a moral compass makes me weep for society.

Who would do such a thing? I think it is funny as ****!!!:w00t:

I think this whole democratic nomination has been pure gold..

All we need is a good conservative in the election to make it perfect..

Steve_Bartkowski (3/25/2008)
savwboy savwboy (3/25/2008)
etifan (3/25/2008)
I had copied and pasted that first part in the other thread. Weird the way things half-show sometimes. Anyway, my opinion hasn't changed: the idea of anyone using the Clintons as amoral compass makes me weep for society.

Who would do such a thing? I think it is funny as ****!!!:w00t:

I think this whole democratic nomination has been pure gold..

All we need is a good conservative in the election to make it perfect..

Your only hope of a good conservative winning is if McCain keels over.

Which is why I have a 0% mentality about the election..Who would they put in for McCain?

Flip Romney? Well there is a real winner there!!