Percy Harvin aggravated injury plus more gator info.

SacFalcFan

Wide receiver Percy Harvin aggravated a heel injury and it might keep him sidelined for more than just Monday's practice. Coach Urban Meyer said Harvin might miss the rest of the spring but the injury will not affect his status for the fall.

"He loses his mind sometimes when he gets hurt because he's so competitive," Meyer said. "He just wants to be right. He's had this now for over a year and a half. We treated it as tendonitis and I think it might be something more than that."

Harvin led Florida with 59 receptions for 858 yards and four receiving touchdowns and he was behind only quarterback Tim Tebow in rushing yards with 764 yards and six scores on 83 attempts in his sophomore year. But injuries or illness have plagued him during his time with the Gators.

Harvin missed the Alabama game in his freshman year with a high ankle sprain and then last season was out for the South Carolina and Florida Atlantic games because of illness.

Getting stronger has been a focus of Harvin's and one reason was because it helps stave off injury. The heel has been nagging him, though, and Meyer said they will get a second opinion to figure out what is wrong.

"He's a powerful kid right now," Meyer said. "He's probably close to 200 pounds. He's one of the strongest guys on our team. Percy is one of those guys that wants to be the best. He saw that strength could help him avoid injury. He's had little dings here and there and that strength is going to help him."

Wide receiver Louis Murphy also missed Monday's practice. Meyer said it was a staph infection and he should return Wednesday. Defensive tackle Torrey Davis had academic obligations and was out and linebacker John Jones has an ankle injury. Jones wore a boot but Meyer said he will be fine.

More Meyer quotes

On wide receiver Riley Cooper missing time to play baseball: "I talked to his family about that. I talked to Riley. Riley's starting his third year next year. That was part of the deal when he came here as long as he kept his grades up.

"That injury with his forearm, that's starting to come back. We're supporting Riley Cooper and he had a good day today. Monday and Wednesday, he's mine. Friday and Saturday, he (goes to baseball)."

On Deonte Thompson's improvement since last season: "He's still got a long way to go but he's made some improvement. He's certainly going to play for us this year."

On how to keep the backup quarterbacks happy: "Having success is the only way to stay happy as a football player. Cameron (Newton) had a good day today and Johnny (Brantley) is doing well. He just has to get healthy so they can really have a battle. They're both throwing the ball very well."

On keeping them happy on the depth chart: "Just everyday them knowing they're battling for a spot. There is no backup right now. We won't decide that until a week before the game."

On Dorian Munroe stepping up as a leader: "We're counting on him to be a leader. He's been a special teams leader the last couple years. It's hard to be a leader when you're a backup. I've seen a little bit of a change. He's doing well."

On meeting the Pouncey twins for the first time: "It's nuts. They're electric. Electricity surrounds them. You feel good about yourself and you feel good that they're a part of your team. I love them."

On believing there were twins with such size: "I heard about them. I jumped at Charlie Strong and said, 'Why are you letting those guys go to Tallahassee? Get them up here.' He did. They're great guys. They love the game of football."

I love Percy and I belive without a shadow of a doubt that he is the best athlete to ever play football at UF but like I said in a thread on the main board I would never want my pro team to draft him. He has had more "little" injuries in 2 years than I have ever seen. Some you guys never even hear about. He plays through them all and I think he will for the next couple of years but someone is going to give him alot of money and I can just see him breaking down and not ever earning it. I may be and really hope Im wrong but thats alot of compiling injuries on a guy that someone is going to be waiting to spend millions on probably this time next year.

Jgator2113 (3/25/2008)
I love Percy and I belive without a shadow of a doubt that he is the best athlete to ever play football at UF but like I said in a thread on the main board I would never want my proteam to draft him. He has had more "little" injuries in 2 years than I have ever seen. Some you guys never even hear about. He plays through them all and I think he will for the next couple of years but someone is going to give him alot of money and I can just see him breaking down and not ever earning it. I may be and really hope Im wrong but thats alot of compiling injuries on a guy that someone is going to be waiting to spend millions on probably this time next year.

What position does he project to in the NFL?

WR, I would think?

jdu00743 (3/25/2008)
Jgator2113 (3/25/2008)
I love Percy and I belive without a shadow of a doubt that he is the best athlete to ever play football at UF but like I said in a thread on the main board I would never want my proteam to draft him. He has had more "little" injuries in 2 years than I have ever seen. Some you guys never even hear about. He plays through them all and I think he will for the next couple of years but someone is going to give him alot of money and I can just see him breaking down and not ever earning it. I may be and really hope Im wrong but thats alot of compiling injuries on a guy that someone is going to be waiting to spend millions on probably this time next year.

What position does he project to in the NFL?

WR, I would think?

Yes WR. He wont get near as many carries this year as the last 2.