If ATL wants to go defense at #3, then the best choices are Gholston or Sedrick Ellis.

jsettle 44

Drafting Patrick Willis would have spelled the end of Keith Brooking, but so what? Well, Willis went on to be a Pro Bowler and Defensive Rookie of the Year. And what about Adrian Peterson who ended up being Offensive Rookie of the Year and a Pro Bowler.

Falcons management defend want to offend Dunn or Brooking, but reality has finally caught up with them. Now its Brooking's turn.

And now that more and more people see Jamaal Anderson as a big mistake, the Falcons got to make a bold move and possibly get Vernon Gholston in a pseudo draft do-over move to correct this wrong.

Jamaal has much bigger problems that goes beyond strength..he has a talent problem He isn't on the same path or level of a Mario Williams who showed promise in year one and was a force in Year 2 and should have made the Pro Bowl with his 14 sacks with the Houston Texans.

Keith Brooking has nothing really to offer the Falcons. He doesn't have speed. He is a liability in pass coverage. And usually makes plays several yards downfield after the offensive play has garnered a first down.

Gholston would have an immediate impact.

And also Sedrick Ellis from USC. Glen Dorsey has yet to play a full season. He got undeniable talent, but you must be able to stay on the field to justify your draft status and contract. It is always a gamble, but Ellis is the better overall player in which the Falcons get maximum production.

If the Falcons truly wants to go forward, forget the feelings of Jamaal Anderson and Keith Brooking...

What about Adrian Peterson?...

He wasn't available at our pick...it isn't the Falcons fault...Are you going to blame the Falcons for not picking up Laron Landry as well (who was also ALREADY TAKEN)

and Dorsey?...never played a full season...isn't that just a boldfaced lie?

I would agree that Patrick Willis would've been a much better pickup, but when you look at the physical characteristics and upside of JAM, he has the opportunity to be a bigger impact player for many years to come. People thought Mario Williams was a bust too and look what kind of sophmore year he had.

I think trenches are definitely where we need to focus on at #3. However, I think we should trade down and get additional picks. We can still be in the top 10 and still pick one of the bigger impact defensive tackles that will be available and same some money. Picking at #3 will demand alot of money but I think we can do more by trading down.

slobberknocker (3/25/2008)
Gholston is out of the question IMO. Abraham has the weak side DE position on lockdown for the next couple of seasons at least. Ellis would fill a need, but Dorsey is the better player. If we trade down (say with the Jets to the #6 spot) then Ellis might be in play, along with Matt Ryan.

Drafting Matt Ryan would be a monumental mistake for the Falcons.

I can't imagine any scenario where we would draft Gholston. Even if you think Anderson is the biggest bust in the world and will never amount to anything more than a sack of dirt, we aren't going to spend 3 consecutive first round picks (and the money that goes with that) on DE's when we have so many other holes to fill...

I for one think Ellis has more upside than Dorsey.  His footwork and mechanics are more thorough.  BOTH should be awesome in the NFL though and I would take either one.  But if I had to make one choice, I might have to flip a coin.  Getting Dorsey makes sense because he's an SEC player, getting Ellis also makes sense because he's an 'Elite' DT in this draft. 

formul8or (3/25/2008)
Dorsey NEVER MISSED A GAME! Do you even know who he is???

ellis on the otherhand was an injured redshirt his freshman year and missed a couple of games last season. These is NOTHING Ellis has over Dorsey!

Actually Ellis played in all 13 games last season.

formul8or (3/25/2008)
Dorsey NEVER MISSED A GAME! Do you even know who he is???

ellis on the otherhand was an injured redshirt his freshman year and missed a couple of games last season. These is NOTHING Ellis has over Dorsey!

Yes, I do. However, his injury history is relevant! And if I had to choose between Dorsey and Ellis, I would choose Ellis.

Chris Chandler played in the majority of his games, but he was never 100% or had to leave many games in his career after halftime or during a critical stretch when his team needed him the most..

Is Dorsey the defensive version of Chris Chandler? A big tease who can't finish?

It may sound harsh, but is what it is..Played the last five games of the regular season at less than 100 percent after being the victim of a chop and post against Auburn on Oct. 20

Dorsey was a force in his freshman and sophomore years, but he only started three games. Admittedly, he played a lot, but he was NOT out there from beginning to end. And the way his senior season ended may be a pre-cursor to how his NFL career may look like.

Or is Dorsey a more injury-prone version of John Abraham?

Can Dorsey hold up over a 16 game schedule? Is he more likely to sit on the sideline and nurse an injury once he gets paid his millions?

Dorsey played through his injuries to a certain degree, but will he do it on the NFL level?

John Abraham has struggled with injuries when he was with the Jets and the Falcons in 2006. When he is healthy Abe is really good, but when he is injured or playing injured, its another story..

stoptherun (3/25/2008)
I wouldn't be mad if we got Gholston. You can never have too many pass rushers. Look at what the Giants were able to do with all those DE's...

How many of them were 1st round picks? More specifically how many were #3 overall?

pzummo (3/25/2008)
If we could do it over again, my pick would be Okoye.  Not Willis. 

That is what Mckay should have done.. The dude had all of the pluses. He was Okoye was the best player at #8... Had Landry been there I would have taken him though...

I feel when you are picking in the first 10 you shold go by best player and not need, unless you are overloaded in that area...

It is like this if Jake Long is there at #3 I take him, If not and McFadden is I take him... I can wheel and deal by snatching up a player of higher value than settling on a position player... However, I would keep Long unless I got huge compensation. 1st and 2nd this year and 1st next year is what I would want..