O-line competetion

delaigle

O-line competition

LT  There will most likely be a high draft choice battling with Foster (338) for the starting slot with the other becoming back-up.  This leaves the future of McCoy(328), Dahl(313) and Ojinnaka(292)  up in the air.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

RT Will Weiner (297) hold off Clabo (314) to retain the starting slot?  Will there be a draftee to compete for the back-up position here?  Remember the Clabo s most comfortable position is Guard so he may be moved back there.

Guards and Center get much mudder

LG  Blalock (329) will most likely keep the starting job  but the back-up slot gets confusing,  There s Batiste (318) now BUT could Datish (305) or Stepanovich (305) be moved over here  (keeping one here allow retaining fewer at the center slot)

RG  Will Forney (307) hold off both Pennington (325) and Quarterman (342)  and which one will win the back-up slot  OR will Datish or Stepanovich be the back-up or will a draftee be added to the fray. 

C  There s  McClure (286)  Wilkerson (305) Datish (305)  Stepanovich (300) all in the mix now. We know that Stepanovich and Datish can play Guard as well, but can Wikerson?

One promising note:  For the last few years there has been competition for the back-up slots but very little for the starting jobs.  It looks like that may start changing this year.

Petrino is NOT my hero (3/25/2008)well you screwed up one thing... Clabo is NOT most comfortable playing guard.... before he was a falcon he was a Tackle... He played tackle in college and NFL Europe... He was moved there by a past regime... he will be RT

Sorry, I just remember that all 10? games in 06 as a Falcon were at guard and that he was moved out to Tackle during the 07 season

delaigle (3/25/2008)
Petrino is NOT my hero (3/25/2008)well you screwed up one thing... Clabo is NOT most comfortable playing guard.... before he was a falcon he was a Tackle... He played tackle in college and NFL Europe... He was moved there by a past regime... he will be RT

Sorry, I just remember that all 10? games in 06 as a Falcon were at guard and that he was moved out to Tackle during the 07 season

To be honest he played pretty well at both RT and RG, which is good for him because the new staff will be able fit him in SOMEWHERE.

Honestly, I don't see Forney keeping his job unless he really blows the doors off in the mini-camps and training camp. He was pretty bad last year and just hasn't seemed to have the same power that he had before those shoulder injuries in '06. Maybe Mora rushed him back too soon or maybe he just isn't what we need for a straight-ahead drive blocking scheme, but one way or another I see someone taking that job before the season starts.

If Weiner comes back strong from his knee injury (which may or may not happen), I wouldn't mind him playing left tackle this season while a rookie trains up under him. Foster certainly has the size to be a good right tackle and was showing some positive signs before he got hurt last year. Foster and Clabo could make for an interesting training camp battle. If Weiner's not ready, though, we should plan as if he's never going to be ready and move forward. It's not like Weiner's a spring chicken himself.

Direwolf

I just love the fact that we have a few options this year.

With Foster coming back from injury, at the Tackle position we will have Foster, Clabo and Weiner who all played well at some point last year, along with a rookie to compete and possibly start. Depth is the key component we have been missing.

Guard has been our biggest issue on the O-line (watch the tapes, the pocket collapses from the front more than it does on the sides.), and if we can find a mean spirited replacement for Forney we should be fine. I think Blalock will be much better after an off-season in the weightroom.

Center is the position that I'm confused about. Datish seems to be a possibility, but no one really knows what we have in him yet. McClure is one of those guys who I love for his leadership, but I question his ability in a power scheme.

However it falls, there will be lots to watch in training camp.

direwolf (3/25/2008)
Honestly, I don't see Forney keeping his job unless he really blows the doors off in the mini-camps and training camp. He was pretty bad last year and just hasn't seemed to have the same power that he had before those shoulder injuries in '06. Maybe Mora rushed him back too soon or maybe he just isn't what we need for a straight-ahead drive blocking scheme, but one way or another I see someone taking that job before the season starts.

If Weiner comes back strong from his knee injury (which may or may not happen), I wouldn't mind him playing left tackle this season while a rookie trains up under him. Foster certainly has the size to be a good right tackle and was showing some positive signs before he got hurt last year. Foster and Clabo could make for an interesting training camp battle. If Weiner's not ready, though, we should plan as if he's never going to be ready and move forward. It's not like Weiner's a spring chicken himself.

Direwolf

Weiner at LT is the main reason for my subtitle  It really could get a lot more confusing if you start factoring that into it.